Vise Jaws

Cold rolled, aluminum, etc.

1581529290_9771215155e4438ca64b1a2.62100341_20200212_123954.jpg

Just a simple piece of soft (1100) aluminum sheet.

.063thk. folded at a 90° angle. Fits the jaw size with a 1/2" ledge on top to hold the alum. onto the jaw. One for each side.

Cheap, easy, simple to dress (remove burrs), and easy to replace as required.

If I need anything fancy, I can build something more like the post above. But most things work well with simple protection.

Mike

You can buy plastic soft jaws that have magnets on them to stick to metal vice jaws. They can be found at Lowe’s / or hardware stores. Also lead sheet stock works . Old rubber conveyer belt is good .Pieces of one by works, just cut a U in the bottom of wood piece to hold on to bottom of vice and cut slightly above top of vice. Hard wood works best and last longer but anything will work. The best thing about home made is you can make several sets with different materials and shapes on them. Hope this helps. MM

Sorry just after I posted this I got a call from a AGN member then other things came up & again I will have to reply back in a little while . Lots of good ideas from you guys I was only thinking of the plastic type that fit on the jaws but wasn't sure what to get . I need some to hold air tubes other parts that I do not want to mar up . Thanks for all the ideas you guys rock , from being a retired welder never really needed any soft jaws in my line of work for the stuff I worked on .

I've been using an aluminum set like these for about 30 years. I think they were marketed by Vermont America. Can't find them anymore. Taken some light abuse. The V grooves hold barrels well. I have used them to hold blued barrels but I am a very careful craftsman.No damage to bluing yet. However If the job requires much twisting force I wrap with thick leather like I use for making airgun seals. Horse hide is a little harder than cow if you want both.. You can buy leather pieces online very inexpensively. Delivered. Rubber faced are ok ish. Not as useful to me but have been times when I used them. I NEVER buy from Amazombie. Ebag seems less anti gun. Not quite so offensive to my traditional family values.

These look exactly like mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Magnetic-Soft-Jaw-V-Groove-Pipe-Pads-for-Metal-Vise-Attachment-Padded/254106950188?epid=1056382986&hash=item3b29f45a2c:g:r9AAAOSwJ9tcVhEn

rubber

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Of-Magnetic-Soft-Pad-Jaws-Rubber-For-Metal-Vise-3/202933985544?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2f3fcee108:m:m05-CLtAh_1bJwon7pA6yZQ&enc=AQAEAAACUBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qVTx4eXQRRu0A8cmX9e0HsiIbCf%2Fzov2S2Sz4TeICM

I dont have a pic but I saw the method I use mentioned somewhere and it is to take two pieces of plywood the width of the jaws and cut a notch for them to fit over the bottom arm snuggly so they wont fall off. The one for the fixed jaw required two more notches to make a tee so it could snug up. They are easy to remove and soft for sure. I used 1/2” fir ply thats what was handy.