• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Vintage Japan made air rifle scopes

I have a box full of Japanese air rifle scopes that I got in a nice vintage Beeman springer collection I bought. Just wondering which ones I should keep and what I should sell. There is 4 of the Beeman "Blue Ribbon" scopes, 2 Bushnell sportview, and 2 Marksman Silhouette. They are all from the 1980's and in new/like new condition. They all are made in Japan, are very nice steel tube, shiny black gloss mod
IMG_0951 2.1643847625.jpg
IMG_0949 2.1643847654.jpg
els. The Marksman scopes look very nice ! The others I know came from Beeman, just not sure about the Marksman 

I would say keep the Beeman also.I had good luck with the Bushnell Sportview but don’t know how good they would work or last on a Springer.I still have 2 Bushnells.One that’s 40 years old on my Benjamin 397. And have one that’s 25 years old on one of my 22 cal.powder burners.I actually used a Bushnell on a .308 deer rifle I had when I was young for years that worked fine.

sounds about right. I collect the Sheridan pumpers myself, have many, I could Bushnell one of those I suppose. I shoot pretty dang good without a scope though... just don't use them much on air rifles... All the FWB 124/127's I have, have those Beeman Blue Ribbon scopes on them already. I know they are nice. I am just really wondering about those Marksman scopes because the guy kept saying how nice and how rare they are. It wasn't a snow job either cuz he threw them all in for free... They have a Huntington Beach address on the label and were made around 1986-88 I believe. I had heard that Marksman was making higher grade target shooting gear around the time the Olympics were here in the states. Trying to promote the shooting sport/ shooting teams/ shooting competition in general, in America. Thanx for your input, D

sounds about right. I collect the Sheridan pumpers myself, have many, I could Bushnell one of those I suppose. I shoot pretty dang good without a scope though... just don't use them much on air rifles... All the FWB 124/127's I have, have those Beeman Blue Ribbon scopes on them already. I know they are nice. I am just really wondering about those Marksman scopes because the guy kept saying how nice and how rare they are. It wasn't a snow job either cuz he threw them all in for free... They have a Huntington Beach address on the label and were made around 1986-88 I believe. I had heard that Marksman was making higher grade target shooting gear around the time the Olympics were here in the states. Trying to promote the shooting sport/ shooting teams/ shooting competition in general, in America. Thanx for your input, D

I myself don’t know anything about the Marksman Scopes.I’ve Only seen Marksman airguns.I’m sure somebody here will be able to give you more info.

I have owned variants of all the scopes listed in the OP and find the Marksman brand to be as good as any. Back in the day, my Marksman scope failed and was sent back for repair/ replacement. The company had a newer model replacement that was supposed to be a superior upgrade, but I did not want it. After a conversation with Don Walker at their HQ, I was able to convince him to send the original version (as in your pictures) knowing from experience that it is a great optic. Although considered "obsolete" and no longer in their product line, Don was able to find one that is still in use 35 years later on a rifle of the same vintage. Great optic, fine service, satisfied customer.

Should you choose to sell the ones that you now have, please pm me.

Thank You for your reply JW. That is what I was thinking as the gentleman who sold me them, owned all of them too (several of each), and said those particular marksman scopes were the best of what he had. I think we (like parrots) get stuck repeating what we hear from others and are also suckers for great marketing skills. I read that Marksman gave it a shot back in the 1980's trying to promote the shooting sport in the USA, the Olympics were here that year. That they made/sold some good quality stuff for awhile, but went broke doing it like so many others... I wish I knew what the little symbols (and letters) next to the "Japan" marking on the scope meant. Looks like there is an H like symbol and then SI. I was wondering if these were Hakko made but I know jack squat about vintage Japanese scopes. Somebody that knows is probably laughing at me right now. :) 

The BEEMAN "Blue Ribbon" are likely the best in that group. Made by HAKKO there glass is generally really nice !! Sadly tho like much from that era the manufacturers and support is no more ... Use till they break sort of thing.

Nice score !!
the gentleman I bought the Marksman scopes from had said these particular Marksman scopes were made by Hakko as well and are clearly stamped Japan on everything. can anyone verify that. I know Marksman at the time was really trying to break into the high end air gun maket and shake of their bad reputation for making cheap stuff as of late
D