Video Highlight: FX Impact M3 NEW .35 cal Slug Liner + Meat Grenades or Meat Missiles?

First off I want to give a HUGE shout out and thank you to FX Airguns for supporting this deep dive testing into a topic of big bore airgun terminal performance and choosing the right ammo based on the game animal you are targeting.

As big game hunting grows and more states across the United States legalize big bore airgun hunting for Deer and other large game animals, I have been wanting to make this video for the last few years as we see more manufacturers start getting into big bore calibers .357 and higher.

I am going to make a bold statement and FPE is NOT everything you need to consider when targeting larger game animals. You 100% need to understand the terminal performance of your slugs and ammo. In layman's terms, what is that slug doing at the point of impact and into and hopefully THROUGH the game animal.

I've been testing the FX Impact .35 cal liners since they were released a few years ago and slinging pellets it has been wicked accurate. As a big bore airgun hunter though I have been waiting for the Superior Heavy slug liner to see how it performs on medium and with the right ammo selection, larger game animals.

FX Airguns has really perfected the art of barrel liner R&D and they absolutely NAILED the precision with this new slug liner. I have also had the FX Hybrid slugs in .35 for over a year now and testing them in a lot of my other .35 cal airguns seeing the insane amount of energy dumping they provide. But when I was able to finally test them in this new liner I was shocked about the pin point precision they provide.

A lot of airgunners are coming to the .357 caliber from smaller calibers of airguns. As you get up into these "big bore" sizes, that pin point slug on slug precision you expect in your .22 and .25 pellet puffers or slug slingers starts to get exponentially more difficult with heavier and higher caliber projectiles. But again, FX has figured out the secret sauce.

One of the innovative things they did in releasing these very LIGHT for caliber (low sectional density) hybrids slugs is not only does it allow you to sling them very fast around 1000 FPS and with the new PowerBlock and Tungsten Hammer around 1070 FPS, you are dumping a TON of energy in a VERY short amount of penetration.

The Hybrids are a perfect choice of ammo if you don't care about anything being left to salvage if you are hunting for meat with small game animals. It is the PERFECT pesting ammo for larger small game like Prairie Dogs and predator hunting. It dumps over 150 FPE turning into little flying discs of death.

But what got me into big bore airguns .357 and higher was the ability to take larger game like Deer. So I set out to test the effects of hollow points vs. solids in this energy level of big bore airgun. In the last 5 years I have harvested over 2 dozen deer with big bore airguns and have learned A TON about terminal performance of airgun slugs.

My #1 thing to pass on is penetration is KING and expansion is a extra feature if you have enough FPE to get through the important parts and out the back door. Two holes in your game animal will yield a higher probability of recovering that animal and you AT LEAST need to have enough penetration to get through both lungs from all shot angles that you might be taking.

This video is basically the visualization of these concepts and anyone wanting to use the FX Impact M3 .357 on larger game animals needs to watch this video and absorb the information fully for the most ethical hunt possible. Again, HUGE shout out to FX Airguns to work with me to bring you this important information.

Would you use FX Hybrids .30/.357 to hunt a deer with a vitals shot?

I like Hybrids but due to their low sectional density their BC is much lower than traditional slugs with that shape. .30 ones have BC of 0.07G1 whereas normal slugs with the exact same shape would have BC of 0.1+G1.
That is why I did this video to show airgunners that is a BAD idea. 6 inches of energy dumping penetration is most likely going to only get into one lung. Any kind of bone contact will just stop these being so light weight. Based on the magazine size of the Impact you can get up to a 90 grain slug in .357 and you really want to maximize that penetration at 150-190 FPE.

The reason why Hybrids are so low in BC as compared to a solid or heavier HP is because sectional density makes up about 90% of overall BC and shape only about 10%. Need penetration to take out both lungs in a Deer and after a few dozen Deer dropped with big bore airguns, having an exit hole helps a TON with blood trails.

Awesome video but the more important question is when will it be available for the mortal man. Been waiting and asking for over a year when the slug liner would be out.
Definitely appreciate all your efforts on progressing the impact but waiting and waiting isn’t feeling well for me after all this time. Happy that FX has found the right combination but when does that trickle down to the end user? All the innovation and progress is wonderful, if you can use it.
All the new item’s from the power block to tensioner’s are extremely hard to come by and thats even if you are preordering. So, thank you for showing how great the .35 can be, for you and Rick and the chosen few lucky lottery winner’s 😬

My experience with the .35 hybrids thus far in the standard liner has been frustrating. I have a 600mm barrel on my M3 .35 and I am pushing them @ 900 fps and I have yet to get satisfactory groups beyond 60 yards. They can go as fast as 915-920 fps out of the 600mm barrel at 165 bar on the second reg. At 50 yards they are acceptable, but at 85 yards, it's not that great. I haven't given up trying yet with the 600mm barrel, and I haven't tried them out of the stock 800mm, but if I could get them to group MOA at 85 yards with the 600mm barrel above 890 fps, I'd be pretty happy. This is with a stock factory M3 .35 without the power block. I have only gone through one box of a 100 hybrids, and I'll give them a bit more effort before I see if they'll work well in either of my modified Bulldogs. From the early testing I've seen, they like to go fast and the 600mm barrel maybe too short.

One more question, please. How do Hybrids .35 work in a standard superior liner? Is the slug liner dedicated for them maybe?

When it comes to a .30 cal - Hybrids work very well in a standard superior liner. FX lowered the twist rate to 1:22" and it is spot on.
The standard liner doesn’t like the Hybrids and you’ll get 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards. The new liner is amazing with them!

The standard liner doesn’t like the Hybrids and you’ll get 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards. The new liner is amazing with them!
Thanks for sharing this detail. I'll stop experimenting with the standard 600mm liner and hope I can one day get my hands on a 600mm heavy .35 liner. I think I could find a use for the hybrids and a 600mm .35 set up with MOA accuracy at 900 fps.

There are lots of customers waiting, so hopefully the liners show up soon. I know I am. I just received the power block after ordering it when the news was released. I was still waiting for the tungsten hammer, but luckily a member here can make custom hammers from tungsten if needed.

Separately speaking, I hope in the future a bigger plenum, block, and hammer or hammerless assembly comes into fruition. It would be nice to see a design that handles heavier slugs than 93 grains in the FX mag too. Something in the mid 200 to 300 fpe range.

My experience with the .35 hybrids thus far in the standard liner has been frustrating. I have a 600mm barrel on my M3 .35 and I am pushing them @ 900 fps and I have yet to get satisfactory groups beyond 60 yards. They can go as fast as 915-920 fps out of the 600mm barrel at 165 bar on the second reg. At 50 yards they are acceptable, but at 85 yards, it's not that great. I haven't given up trying yet with the 600mm barrel, and I haven't tried them out of the stock 800mm, but if I could get them to group MOA at 85 yards with the 600mm barrel above 890 fps, I'd be pretty happy. This is with a stock factory M3 .35 without the power block. I have only gone through one box of a 100 hybrids, and I'll give them a bit more effort before I see if they'll work well in either of my modified Bulldogs. From the early testing I've seen, they like to go fast and the 600mm barrel maybe too short.
I just got my 800mm M3 .35 cal Fx hybrids on the way my first plan is to check distance with JSB 81.02.. where I loose effective penetration power.
Next is the hybrid to checkout, then find out which slugs work best in the weapon w 800mm barrel.
This will be "pest control out on the 40 acre farm" as some pests I am dispatching are mainly deer eating crops and the occasional bobcat/coyote

anything you want to see on a fx m3 800mm .35
just PM me as the weapon is still stock.