Video: Can Springers Hang with PCP's?

HW95L 5 at 25 from 83 YO redneck.

12-18-2021 5 at 25 best ever.1648917700.jpg

Sure they can hang with a pcp ... Pretty much like this.

A Really good Spring gun and Skilled shooter can and does in our FT club Frequently Best our average or above average pcp shooters. Great shooting too !!

But can a equally skilled and equipped PCP beat an equally match spring gun shooter ... Sadly Yes and the PCP will more times than not simply smoke the piston shooter.

In the SVFTC we have a bunch of highly skilled shooters, some National & World ranked shooters in our club therefor getting to witness first hand some of the countries top shooters in both piston & pcp classes.

A good piston gun and able shooter is damn impressive !!!

Scott S

for playin around theyre just fine .. dont bring one to a serious pest problem, all i can tell ya ..

Mine are serious tools that perform a serious function. Have ridden myself of a rat infestation, a damaging squirrel problem, quite a few raccoons (from neurological to mange infested critters to aggressive ones), to countless others. I know my tools, their limits and my limits. In my hands I can EASILY dispatch chipmunks out to 40 yards, and larger quarry out much farther. Longest chipmunk shots are 2 I took back to back at 60 yards. Won't post here since not hunting sub forum..

I would never "play" around with my tools. I do enjoy them thoroughly, but rarely paper punch or plink anymore.....just serious tools for a serious job. Wouldn't take quarry out at 80 yards with my tools, but have done nice groups out at 100 yards with one of mine.

Can they "hang" with PCP's? Too many factors to consider, but I'd challenge almost anybody to differentiate my sub 50 yard groups from a PCP. I don't need anything to take out game much past that....

I don't take too many pics, because I shoot so much, but found this 50 yard group of a magnum .177 springer of mine......the more I shot on paper that day, the better the groups got. They started more open than this, and ended up tight like this..

Screenshot_20220402-185541_Chrome.1648940238.jpg

Just using the 5.56 to point with. I brought my springer to the range the same day I went shooting with some buddies. Wanted to get on some paper with my magnum. Went out to 75 yards that day, will have to look for those groups, but I recall them opening up a bit....

This was my first target. Shot, in order, top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right, center....

Screenshot_20220402-190136_Chrome.1648940568.jpg

50 ranged yards. Shot groups like the center one for a long time. This was my favorite target because it showed the progression on one target as I "tightened up" my technique over one target. They are ALL 5 shot groups...

It was kind of funny shifting after shooting my firearms for over an hour to the pellet gun. Took a few targets to really change over to my "springer hold" from my "firearm hold". Once I transitioned, it was tight. Then went back to forearms for the rest of the day. Closed out the range...

Reactions: Deerstalker
I really like the TX and HW Underlevers. I just wish they had the option to have a little more power. Something like the 460 magnum or the Torpedo power range would go a long way towards getting me to get one.

The more power a spring rifle offers, the harder they are to shoot accurately and the heavier they are. A hundred and forty or so years of engineering the platform has just about optimized the design. This is not said to talk them down. PCP rifles built to the same quality standards cost easily twice as much.

Any serious squirrel hunter can bring home as much meat with a quality spring rifle as a similarly experienced PCP shooter. He is not limited by his rifle.

I really like the TX and HW Underlevers. I just wish they had the option to have a little more power. Something like the 460 magnum or the Torpedo power range would go a long way towards getting me to get one.

The more power a spring rifle offers, the harder they are to shoot accurately and the heavier they are. A hundred and forty or so years of engineering the platform has just about optimized the design. This is not said to talk them down. PCP rifles built to the same quality standards cost easily twice as much.

Any serious squirrel hunter can bring home as much meat with a quality spring rifle as a similarly experienced PCP shooter. He is not limited by his rifle.

This right here.

To me a springer is to airgunning what a classic muscle car is to the automotive world. Modern cars with far more refined powerplants, suspension and safety features may easily outclass the older, more rudimentary classic muscle cars in terms of raw performance. However, in spite of their shortcomings I personally love the older cars. They provide an experience that transcends raw statistical data. They inspire, provoke and reward the driver in ways the new cars never will. Similarly, the old quality springers offer a shooting experience that rewards in ways the newer PCP simply cannot. It's not something words can easily explain, but there are quite a few like me who still gravitate to the older technology for the satisfying experience unmatched by the latest tech.

Tim

To me a springer is to airgunning what a classic muscle car is to the automotive world. Modern cars with far more refined powerplants, suspension and safety features may easily outclass the older, more rudimentary classic muscle cars in terms of raw performance. However, in spite of their shortcomings I personally love the older cars. They provide an experience that transcends raw statistical data. They inspire, provoke and reward the driver in ways the new cars never will. Similarly, the old quality springers offer a shooting experience that rewards in ways the newer PCP simply cannot. It's not something words can easily explain, but there are quite a few like me who still gravitate to the older technology for the satisfying experience unmatched by the latest tech.

Tim

Well said Tim.

Still gonna say my springers will hang with PCPs in my sub 50 yard groups which is where almost 100 percent of my hunting/pesting occurs. I have to make sure I do my job, but I'm never limited by the ability of my gun. The one target above displays just how important my job is with a springer. I had just shot hundreds of rounds of my firearms, then shifted to my springer. I had to remind my brain/body that I was shooting my springer to tighten up the groups...

Tim

Well said Tim.

Still gonna say my springers will hang with PCPs in my sub 50 yard groups which is where almost 100 percent of my hunting/pesting occurs. I have to make sure I do my job, but I'm never limited by the ability of my gun. The one target above displays just how important my job is with a springer. I had just shot hundreds of rounds of my firearms, then shifted to my springer. I had to remind my brain/body that I was shooting my springer to tighten up the groups...

Have a AA s510 and to me it was to much of a hassle carry around air tanks and stuff 

However it did shoot GREAT butttt after a while it got boring to me

And went back to a quality HW 97 Springer MUCH more fun for me 

For me it is simply just a riffle and pellets in my pocket is what I enjoy.

My springers can not hang with my PCPs at 50 yard put WAY more fun to shot