Veteran Long Re-barrel (X2)

Had a chance to do some accuracy testing and wanted to share.

These were the conditions. NOAA has a new weather station just 3 miles from my house so pretty similar to what I was seeing on the home range. 

conditions.1643787892.jpg

(yeah, not the best winds for testing accuracy....)

I've read comments about how the 16.2s destabilize at a certain point so wanted to test that a bit and decided on a pellet trap at 30, 60, and 90 yards and started with the 16.2s. I compared 4, 10 shot groups at each distance in the following sequence, 10 shot group @ 30 yards, 10 shot group @ 60 yards, 10 shot group at 90 yards and then another 10 shot group at 30, then 60, then 90, repeating that process 4 times. Total of 120 shots, 4, 10 shot groups at each of the stated distances. Thought process being that no one distance would get preferential wind conditions by structuring the process in this manner. 

I was not varying hold off for wind or timing between gusts. I was focused on seeing how the 16.2s would group, not necessarily where they would group. 30 and 60 were shot with the same scope setting, which is surprisingly the same zero that the gun had with the .22 barrel. When two different barrels will shoot to such a similar aim point....well there's something to be said of the repeatability of airguns that have the barrel threaded into the breech. The 90 yard groups were given 1.9mils of elevation if I remember right, and 0.5mils of windage and then just held dead on to the best of my ability. 

Here's the 30 yarder.

30 yards 16.2.1643784044.jpg

60 yard target below....

60 yards 16.2.1643784060.jpg

and then the 90 yarder. 

90 yards 16.2.1643784092.jpg

These were all shot over about 2 hours, not that I shoot that slowly, but I'd take breaks here and there and then come back to it. (Filling tanks and doing laundry, etc). 

During the shooting, I was sure feeling like a couple out of each ten shot group were "flyers." Not bad flyers hitting inches from where they should, just minimal flyers, not quite falling into the pattern of the other 7 or 8 or 9 shots of that group. And I couldn't see any coinciding gusts to explain it away. At the 30 and 60 it was really incredible to watch the pellets go into the same hole. Examining the 60 I realized that 3 of the 4 groups have 8 of 10 shots into 1/2 an inch or less. That's really quite impressive, considering this was from a .177 @ 60 yards in winds that probably averaged 15 or 6 mph. 

As for the 90 yard groups, sorta that same trend as the 60s. 3 of the 4 groups have 8 of the 10 pellets into about 1.25inches. That is also quite impressive for a .177 in those winds, at that distance. 

I'm not too sure what's causing that 10-20% rate of flyers. Minimal discussion with the machinist today and he commented that perhaps it's a twist rate mismatch, as the 16.2s are just so long relative to diameter. It could also be a pellet batch specific phenomenon, as something similar happens with the .22 Monster RDs at distance. Of note there though, there aren't as many flyers with the .22 MRDs as I saw with the .177/16.2s today, but the flyers from the .22 MRDs are worse flyers. Not sure what's the lesser evil there, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other I guess. 

Also, in those 120 shots, I had 4 jammed pellets. Surely a by-product of using a .22 probe with a .177 barrel but partly me learning the gun also, as they happened early on and I figured out that I could prevent it by not closing the side-lever too fast, and making sure the gun was level. Logic would say that the ledge when the pellet hits the barrel would be a problem and indeed that's where it was jamming, but further investigation showed that it is predominately a pellet tipping problem. With a quick lever cycle and/or an unlevel gun, the pellet tips forward and digs into the lip of the barrel. I believe it is because the .22 probe pushes on the pellet nearer the top than the middle like it would if it was a .22 pellet.

mangled 1.1643785930.jpg

This was one of those failed loads.

mangled.1643785930.jpg

When I was installing the barrel I pushed a couple into the leade as if to shoot, and then decocked and unscrewed the barrel for a pellet examination. When they don't tip and then jam, there is no head deformation occurring. 

On that note, the NSA 12.5s shot really well at 30 and 60, but sorta fall apart at 90, and they are REALLY bad a bout tipping and jamming. Just such a short projectile I think is the culprit there. 

I did take the 15gra NSAs out to 90 yards and decided to shoot an EBR practice card. And with the 15s at 90 I was holding for the wind and varying that windage as the gusts came and went. 

90 yards nsa 15.1643786487.jpg

That's more likely a 203 or worse, as I see that I gave a 9 a ten in the upper left. But, not horrible, again in the context of a .177 @ 90 yards in gusts up to 25mph. 

So my opinions are sprinkled all through the above but here are some of my takeaways from the fun this morning. 

• NSA 12.5s jam too often and don't shoot well enough at distance to warrant shooting them, they'll go back on my slug shelf for some future potential use (that shelf is getting ridiculous, no, I'm not a slug fan as I've yet to see them shoot better than a good BC pellet, at least at the weights and power levels that I employ). 
  • NSA 15s are okay, not exceptional -they'll also go on that same slug shelf in the cabinet. 
  • JSB 16.2s are definitely worth further investigation.
    • Quirky looking little projectile, almost like a little crossbow bolt when compared to other .177s. 
    • I shot the .20s Heavies at 90 today for a bit of comparison in the same winds. I (anecdotally) don't think the 16.2s have as good of a BC as the .20s (JSB lists and I confirmed a BC of about 0.048 with the .20 Heavies.)
      • Wanted to capture a BC as JSBs lists it for these 16.2s as being done with something like 750fps. I think in the JSB chart they're around 0.035. I REALLY want to see what they measure up around 960fpe but it was really overcast and my chrono couldn't pick up the pellet. 
      • From my experiences I'd still prefer to be shooting the .22 MRDs at any long range pellet game, next would be the .20 Heavies, then the .177/16.2s. I would for sure take the 16.2s over the .22/18.13s or the .22/15.89s and actually any other .22/.177 pellet that I've had the pleasure to shoot. 
      • I'm guessing the BC of the 16.2s @ 960 is going to shake out to be something like 0.036-0.044
      • I did not see any of the drastic destabilization at distance that I've seen people mention with these 16.2s. Maybe 90 yards wasn't far enough? I actually carried some pellet traps out to my new 150 yard range extension but got down there and felt the wind and laughed to myself that today is NOT the day for .177s at 150 yards. 

More to come as time allows. 

Frank

i appreciate your posting all the detail on your testing. I’m starting down a barrel-change path with my standard 22 vet because of accuracy inconsistencies. I’m trying an FX 600mm superior liner with reg at apx. 115, getting great results with 18.13 at 63 yds, not so good with MRDs but I still have to do a test of different HS settings.

I have a choked LW barrel on the way so I’ll have a comparison when the machining is done. Kudos and thanks to mtnGhost for his machine skills on the barrel adapter.

Frank

i appreciate your posting all the detail on your testing. I’m starting down a barrel-change path with my standard 22 vet because of accuracy inconsistencies. I’m trying an FX 600mm superior liner with reg at apx. 115, getting great results with 18.13 at 63 yds, not so good with MRDs but I still have to do a test of different HS settings.

I have a choked LW barrel on the way so I’ll have a comparison when the machining is done. Kudos and thanks to mtnGhost for his machine skills on the barrel adapter.

How does the original barrel in your gun shoot the 18.1s? It seems that Taipan's machining specs = barrels that make really good waisted-pellet shooters, generally. And yeah, sometimes the Taipan OEM barrels are not so good with the MRDs, which have somewhat of a unique combination of pellet and slug characteristics (not quite a true pellet, but also not a slug).

Do you have a particular projectile you're working towards with the FX liner and/or the choked LW that you have coming?

I enjoy following your testing. I had some .177s both a Taipan Veteran Standard and Edgun R5M Standard and while both shot incredibly well with 10.3gr pellets the Monsters and RD monsters weren't worth anything in the Taipan. Can't remember about the Edgun or not. It's funny cause I shoot longer ranges and prefer the 16gr .22 for my shooting lol. I do think the RD .22s are pretty fantastic pellets though and would shoot them if I had a gun for them.

Dillon

I just want to clarify my comments on light .22s. They have their uses, and can be shot to good effect at fairly long range. The Exact Jumbo RS in .22 (13.43gr) were my favorite pellet for a long time. I shot lots and lots and lots of those out of my first pcp (Benji Discovery) and then later out of the Vet Short when it was a .22. Both of those guns were nearly silent at just under 20fpe and the Short offered LOTS of shots. I think it was 80 or 90 shots per fill. That 13.43gr .22 JSB pellet is responsible for LOTS of dead pdogs with me behind the trigger of those two guns. And most in the 50-100 yard realm. Those light, thin skirted pellets are great for cattle fields and around houses where you want minimal energy to carry on past the initial object that the pellet impacts. 

But when it comes to competition and caliber size < .22, I've concluded that the better BC stuff (like the aforementioned .22 MRD, and the .20 Heavy, and even the 16.2/.177) is much easier to "steer" where you want them to go, especially in the wind @ long range. I was never against missing a pdog a time or two and "walking" the shot in while he stood there wondering what was making dust puffs, but in competition every shot count (for me or against me, lol). 

Lol oh I know competition is a totally different game than what I'm used to! I've shot the .20s in a rebarreled Mrod and the 13.73gr were real good but damn those 15.89gr Heavies were excellent and really shot well at longer ranges. My .22 Long Vet loved the .22 RDs as well. I just preferred the more docile shooting with the "standard" .22 power level of 30fpe vs 45fpe as I had it tuned. But yeah shooting birds or squirrels is alittle different than competition where every little bit counts.

BC of the JSB 16.2/,177 = 0.03938 (when starting with a muzzle velocity averaging 983.54). Collected with the fps at two distances method (muzzle and 52 yards). 

That puts it in 3rd for best BC of the .177/.20/.22 pellets that I've played with. 1st = .22/25.4gr MRD and 2nd = .20/15.89 Heavy. 

Really pretty good for a .177, especially when considering that most "regular" weight .177s (8ish grains) have BCs down around 0.02. The 16.2s is nearly double that. 

I'm curious to see what happens to the BC when they're pushed to the 930-950fps range. I won't be surprised if it goes up. 

Very fun little pellet to shoot at paper in the 50-60 yard distances from a bench. Hardly any recoil, reminds me of shooting a 20fpe gun from FT position. It's going so fast that it's a nearly instant hole, and MOST of them are touching, although I'm still having a "flyer" sometimes hit 1/2 and inch or so away from the cluster. Very little need for wind hold off either. 

I've got the .22 barrel back on the gun right now. After all the shooting, I pulled the .177 barrel for a serious cleaning and was having inconsistent fps after putting it back on. I was afraid the regulator was acting up so put the .22 barrel back on as a rule out. FPS went right back to being consistent so regulator is just fine. I think I must have knicked or pinched the oring on the .177 barrel upon reassembly. I also had to use a slightly off-spec oring to begin with. So, I need to order some orings in the correct size to seal the .177 barrel to the breech.

Also, still having an occasional pellet hang up upon loading (with .177). Need to talk to the machinist/barrel expert about what he thinks of smoothing/profiling that leading edge of the barrel where the pellet is hanging up. 

Fun stuff. 

Dillon, those Heavy 15.89s are just magic. I've shot a bunch of them at paper at 90+ yards and they're REALLY impressive every time I shoot them. They're just a very small step behind the .22/MRDs that I shoot at 875fps. I think the disparity between them and the MRDs would grow though, if I was shooting the MRDs from a poly barrel at 950+. 

I think the phenomenon of the heavy .20s being better than the .177/16.2s just shows how little we airgunners collectively understand about diabolo ballistics. I'm of the opinion that there are things going on with a flying pellet that we're simply unaware of. 

An update on where this gun is now....

I finally bit the bullet and bumped up the regulator. It had been at OEM 125 its entire life. After adjustment, chrono work suggests that the reg pressure is at 140bar now. 

With the hammer tension about 180 degrees down from max, it's pushing the MRDs at 890fps, very consistently. ES in the single digits across the entire fill. Getting 35-40 shots above reg pressure. Still using the OEM hammer spring and it is not shimmed. 

Measured the ballistic coeffecient at this speed but have a couple confounding factors keeping me from being able to definitively say the BC is much better from just the speed. Biggest of which is that it was an extremely windy day. And far speed collection was done with a tailwind. 

5 shot average for near speed was a 890

12 shot average for far shots was a 777 but two of those were quite a bit lower than the rest so, omitting those two low ones- 10 shot average for far shots was a 787. 

Far distance = 58yards

Using GA drag profile I'm getting a BC of 0.063 if I throw out the 2 low fps far shots and a BC of 0.0566 if I include all 12 far shots in the far average. 

Using G1 drag profile I'm getting a BC of 0.0632 if I throw out the 2 low fps far shots and a BC of 0.0569 if I include all 12 far shots in the far average. 

Using Miles (Bubblerboy on GTA) experimental diabolo drag profile (GA2), I'm getting a BC of 0.0593 if I throw out the 2 low fps shots and a BC of 0.0533 if I include all 12 shots in the far average speed. 

Pretty sweet app for BCs, if interested: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gpc.easybc

Previously collected BCs from this barrel with the MRDs have typically been in the 0.048-0.051 range when shooting them between 850 and 870fps. I think the extra little bit of speed helped some, but I suspect that howling tailwind is skewing the numbers even further by helping the pellets maintain their speed. 

Shot these groups with this tune a few weeks ago. Late night shooting. 95 yards. Pretty happy with it as this was 25 consecutive shots, no sighters. I was adjusting the turrets between some of the five shot groups. 

Screenshot_20220401-235253.1651368452.png