• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Veteran .25 Short

What do you exactly mean by jumpy? I don’t have a short but I do have the standard .25. I’m actually in my blind hunting squirrels with it as I type this lol. I honestly think it’s the best bullpup for the price. There isn’t anything I want to change about it except for the DonnyFL hammer spring adjuster and that’s just for convenience more than anything. 

I can share my experience on the .22 Short.

Loudness:

I reduced the power on mine to 20 fpe. At this power it is very quiet and needs no additional moderator for backyard use. At the 32fpe that it came to me shooting, it would need an additional moderator for my backyard. 

"Jumpy:"

Prior to purchasing, I had read the the Short was a little more difficult to hold steady. I'm approaching this response with that impression of what you mean when you say jumpy. I haven't shot a Standard or a Long but was pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to shoot. Now, that's pretty subjective so I'll share a somewhat less opinionated example of a comparison between the Short and a full-length rifle. At the most recent Field Target match I shot through the formal competition with my Mac1 Hunter. It is a very long gun with knee riser and thigh supports, basically a purpose built gun for Field Target. I shot a 35/40. I shot through again about 2hrs later with my ,22 Taipan Veteran, set to 20 fpe. Both guns have a 20x SWFA and I ranged by focus both times through the course. So, a fairly scientific comparison with the major difference being that it was a little more windy with the Veteran. Anyway, I shot a 33/40 the second time through. A couple of caveats: I am more familiar with how the Mac1 performs in the wind than I am with the Veteran. The most surprising to me, and the most helpful to you in your jumpiness question, i went 4/4 on the offhand shots with the Veteran and only 2/4 on those same offhand shots with the Mac1. The Veteran was markedly easier to shoot offhand than the long=gun. 

So, it is anecdotal, and really only an n of 1 test, but, the Veteran performed much better than I thought it would, in comparison to the purpose-built Mac1 gun. 

I just see that you responded while I was typing that and that you are referring to the pulse (cant really use the word recoil with a PCP) of the gun firing when you say jumpy. WIth a scope, even the Short is probably topping out around 9ish pounds. At my reduced power level I don't have much of a pulse when I shoot it. 

I know the reduced power thing isnt what most people go for around here but, as an aside, I am getting around 100 consistent shots without a shift in the pellet impact at 55 yards. That shot count, and the reduced noise, are pretty appealing to me. Further, if I cranked up the power, I would want more sound moderation, which would make the gun longer, and one of the whole reasons I purchased it was for the convenience of a nice, short little compact package. 

There's gotta be more than .02 in all that.

Frank,

I have Short Veteran in 22 also, I’m inquiring on how you name getting almost 100 shots. What pellet, speed and regulator setting. I have mine adjusted to 825 FPS with JSB 18.13gr. gettting 40 to 45 shots, which works very well for my squirrel hunting sessions, but would like a good tune for bird posting with maximized shot count.

Thanks for sharing

Beach-gunner

Dennis

I reduced the power to 20fpe with just the rear hammer spring adjust, no regulator tweaks. I'm using 14.3 JSB.

R&L told me that most of these seem to have the regulator set around 130-140 bar, but some of his customers report being able to shoot down below the 130 bar and still have consistent shots. When I told them my plan to turn down the power, he said the only negative effect I might see is a little larger fps spread. 

In my notes I backed out the rear power adjust 2.25 full revolutions to get 20fpe. I chronographed it again after a couple hundred shots and it had climbed to about 22fpe. It took another 1/4 turn out to bring me back down to 20fpe. I think that was regulator break-in. So, final adjustment is at 2.5 turns out from as-shipped (as-shipped the surface of the brass power was flush with the back surface of the receiver). 

Matt at R&L was spot-on about his prediction of a larger fps variation. At 32fpe (as shipped) the shots were within 10fps. At 20fpe I'm working with about a 20fps spread. I haven't shot a complete 100 shot string through a Chrono but I did shoot a full string out to 55 yards and used e same hold point to put the pellet where I wanted for the whole 100 shots. I also chronographed a couple shots at the top, middle, and bottom of the fill pressure (240-100 bar) and they were all within 20fps. 

I understand that probably not all of these are "on the regulator" but I'm pretty happy that, when it falls off the regulator, shots are pretty much what they are on the regulator, fps-wise.

At 32fpe I could really hear the wasted air. I just don't think the barrel on the short is long enough to be efficient at higher power. Power trumps efficiency for a lot of guys but I like the most shots I can get out of my compressed air and 20fpe has proven plenty for my airgun needs. The guys that really want the power seem to solve the problem with a Donny FL shroud adaptor and a moderator. I suspect the longer barrels and shrouds on the Standard and Long would be enough to hush the Veteran at higher powers. 

Accuracy at 20fpe has not suffered. The gun is incredibly accurate, still days = hole on hole shots. I dropped a Euro collared dove with it at a lasered 103 yards. Held where Strelok said to and dead dove-quite surprised. 

Dunno if they'll all act this way but that's my limited experience with my one example of a .22 Short.

I'll give you some thoughts from my 2 months of owning a Veteran .22 Shorty. There is no jump when the gun is fired. The trigger is amazingly smooth, hits the 2nd stage and the just breaks beautifully for a smooth shot and follow-through.

As far as noise goes - mine came set shooting the 18gr JSBs @ 880fps. I also shoot 14.35gr JSBs with 3 3/4 turns out on the HS to shoot at basically the same speed. Out of the box I would say the gun is Prod quiet, so there is is some noticeable pop. Get a DonnyFL adapter and a Tatsu and as I'm sure you've read other saying the hammer spring makes more noise than the gun being fired. The impact of the pellet just hitting a plain sheet of paper is louder than the gun firing. 

I don't know how the .25 compares with the .22 in terms of ootb noise level, but I see no reason a moderator wouldn't tame it to indoor levels.