VERY VERY close call

Just had a very close call with my ATP1 pistol, but this can happen with just about any PCP. Was having fun shooting lizards off my trees with a green laser sight. The lizards actually chase the green dot, thinking it's something to eat. Loads of fun. Shot down to empty on air, last shot chambered, but only got a small hiss when I fired, so I naturally knew the tank was down. Sure enough the gauge showed "0". Plugged in my fill probe, with the butt of the pistol resting on the floor, and barrel pointing up, so I could see the gauge. (My air tank is on a bottom shelf) slowly opened the valve on my tank, and heard a small hiss coming out the end of the barrel. OK, I know that sound, the tank is empty, and the valve in the pistol is not tightly closed, as no air to help seat it. So as in the past, it sometimes takes a blast of air to seat the valve. So, I gave the valve on my air tank, a quick twist open, and guess what? It fired the chambered pellet right past my head into the ceiling !!!!! Guy's, PLEASE be careful. It took me a few minutes to realize what had happened, and I realized it's not so hard to do, if not thinking, or in a hurry.

Yikes, that’s a scary thing to happen. I’m glad you weren’t in the path.

This may be a good opportunity to point out another similar danger with having a pellet chambered in spite of being uncooked. Many PCPs have the hammer leaning on the valve stem to some extent. If the gun had a leak, eventually the pressure will fall enough that the valve will pop open and launch the pellet. Could be a slow leak, a sudden O-ring rupture, or even the valve/poppet itself. Or same thing if you were degassing with a tool. So easy to make one little mistake that could turn deadly.

Never, Never, Never point the muzzle of any firearm at anything you don't intend to destroy. Especially yourself. Glade you are alright and thanks for letting everyone know. We get to complacent sometimes and need to be reminded of the dangers of our sport.

Now to the big question we all are thinking did you have to change your underwear ? A long time ago in a country far far away I had a canteen shot out of my hand while taking a drink while out on patrol. I pissed my utility's and was useless for a couple of days.

Now go get those lizard's. 

Won't speak to why the gauge is where it is on so many guns but you don't need to look at it to fill the gun. A 45 degree angle is plenty. Or look at the gauge on the fill source. And/or why did you shoot it so low that a pellet wouldn't leave the barrel. And, and...

Not trying to diminish the severity of the potential incident. Just a reminder to folks that there are lots of ways to be avoid harm.

And, I'm really glad you weren't struck. Safety comes first and in this case that's - don't look down the barrel without fully clearing it.

A good friend of mine actually shot himself in the throat while filling an Air Arms S 500. His neighbor had been shooting the gun the night before and left a pellet in the gun. My buddy who weighed 400 lbs and was 67 years old and a retired cop, somehow fired the gun while filling. I was standing right beside him and it knocked him back into a chair that was right behind him. Blood started squirting out of his neck. I grabbed a roll of paper towels we had there and shoved it into his neck. He was conscience and held the towels there. The bleeding quit and I took him to the hospital. They x rayed him and showed me the 10.3 grain JSB pellet stuck in his vertebrae. Luckily the pellet missed the artery and spinal cord. They decided to just leave the pellet in there as removing it would have been dangerous. He died a year or so later from complications from the flu. He still had the pellet in him.

True story, be careful,

Bob in WV

Thanks for all the reply's Guy's. The reason I shot it down so low, is you don't need much poop to shoot a little lizard at 15/20 feet, and I was having so much fun, I didn't notice I was so low. Luck with me, I always hold them at an angle. I have a few Hatsan's and others that have the gauge on the end. I found the pellet this morning, laying on the floor. It was deformed on it's side, so it must have sorted tumbled out of the barrel. Still enough to put out an eye. "Live and learn" Now, back to the lizards! Loads of fun. I hold my ATP1 in my lap, and put the green dot on the lizard, and squeeze the trigger. They will actually chase the green dot, thinking it's something to eat.:)