• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Very Near Future PCP Rifle Owner

Commenting on LBC’s suggestion about taking your tank to a local fire dept-

Since I’ve been into this hobby 6 years ago, I’ve seen that suggested to 100% everyone getting into this sport, and from everyone thats already been into this sport, except myself. I’m curious, as I know there are a few fire fighters and volunteer fire fighters on this site sharing this hobby, that can offer input on how feasible that really is.

I bring this up only because I myself have two fire depts within five miles from me in opposite directions, and I have yet to go down and ask if they’d be willing to fill/top off a tank. I no longer need to worry about that as I have a compressor and tanks, but early on when I only had a tank I was hesitant to even ask as I knew how busy my two nearby stations were. I couldn’t imagine coming in and asking them to pull off one of their employees to attend to my needs. Maybe if I got lucky the first time but certainly not once a week!

Not to mention the liabilities which I know nothing about but I’m sure it’s there, as the fire fighter is topping/filling a tank that’s unfamiliar to him, and for an owner of the tank he doesn’t even know. It would suck if say something of the stations fill equipment busted, while topping off a tank for some off the street pcp guy, can you imagine?

I personally know of a guy that was close friends of the stations captain and the captain offered to fill his tank but he told me even that got old as he hated bugging the Captain and it wasn’t like he always got his tank filled at that moment. Some days he’d be calling the Captain asking if he ever got to his tank yet.

So, you fire fighters enjoying this hobby on this forum, maybe pipe in on one of these threads and offer your experiences with filling tanks for folks off the street. It’s not just the pcp guys looking for air, or even the paint ballers. The off road guys like these tanks for having air to air their tires back up after a week of rock ceawling(as told to me by one of my local fire fighters)

I could be 100% off base, but maybe we need to rethink giving this suggestion to folks getting into this hobby, before they spend big $$ on a tank thinking they could just mosey on down to their local fire house to get their tanks filled
I'm not a Fireman, hope some will chime in. My son-in-law is a Fireman and he had a great response when I asked. He said "heck yeah, your tax dollars paid for this fill station!" I don't have a tank yet and live in a different location from him but I'll see if the local folks have the same attitude.

LOL! My tax dollars pay for a lot of things but there’s a cut off of what I can and can’t do, right? I would love to put up a few personal stop signs on my road but I can’t just take that upon myself, right?

That’s cool of your son in law, though
Agreed. I would never demand it based on that, just appreciate his attitude.

Reactions: Bigragu
I'm not a Fireman, hope some will chime in. My son-in-law is a Fireman and he had a great response when I asked. He said "heck yeah, your tax dollars paid for this fill station!" I don't have a tank yet and live in a different location from him but I'll see if the local folks have the same attitude.
having a friend or family member in the fire service would help for sure and it probably depends how busy a station it is. I would ask when a good time to stop by would be in general to try and be as accommodating as possible.

I live very near a fire station and they know me and my dog as good neighbors. They said no, city policy, no exceptions. Liability for one, exceptionalism for another, (his tank, but not my tractor?, yesterday but not today?, why not now?, when?). I know other areas ( Florida) that not only will fill, but do annuals and hydros as well. Might be because they have close ties to the sea rescue/caving community. I dunno.

Reactions: dgeesaman
I bought a refurb 30cal. Blitz from Hatsan for $619. and was like new. I have not had one issue. I would also suggest buying a portable 12volt/120v. compressor if you get the Blitz. That's a big tank to refill. I have a big 98cf CF tank and it gets drained down quicker than you think. I have a big Air Venturi compressor to fill the tank but I use my 12v portable compressor most times to just top off guns at the range. I have some real air hogs like an AEA Zeus and the my 98cf tank doesn't last long and a hand pump isn't an option.