• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Very Near Future PCP Rifle Owner

Chicken,
Welcome to AGN, smart to consider air fill source, up front. Search the archives under "Yong Heng" or "best-homepro" for affordable air compressor information. An SCBA air tank can also be used if a local SCUBA shop or firehouse is available to fill. Search "SCBA tanks" in archives, as well, for information. Happy Reading, WM

Yeah, look in your area for a Scuba shop. As odd as it sounds, I have a nice shop about four miles away from me .
Which is...about 45 miles from the nearest ocean / water ! So is is possible.

The internet is your friend !

As said, a good pump is also a way to get air into the gun. My first PCP was hand pump filled until I found the shop near me...
I have a Hill pump, and still use it for smaller cylinders.

Mike

Im considering buying a PCP rifle in the next month or so and i know a air compressor can be purchased but where can i find a good one at a descent price and/or where can i have a tank filled?
Thank you guys in advance
Jeff, hear you loud and clear, and, welcome. Let us know what your thinking about for your PCP purchase. Great suggestions for an accompanying air supply will surely follow. Have fun.

Patrick

Reactions: chickenofthetree
I have a small 12v portable compressor (I typically keep at home) that works well to top off the pcp tanks themselves.
In reality it will not fill my 97ft cf tank or even top it off efficiently.
The scuba shop here charges $16 to fill.
A large compressor is not practical for me but I see the appeal.

I’ll add that I have a hand pump that would work too but where I shoot it is a dirt field planted in wheat so there aren’t hard surfaces to place the pump on. I bought the largest tank possible for use away from home. The entire group for filling is about $1600 but that allows filling anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: huntr and 450BM
Here is the compressor that I purchased. Note that this type of unit will not last long-term. I purchased a 4-year extended warranty. The unit has worked well for the first year of ownership. I shoot almost daily, and fill my rifles every other day using this unit.

1670778903356.png

Welcome to AGN. This is a great place with a lot of information and very knowledgeable people. Here is a really good example thread for compressor information.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
at this point im thinking about the Hatsan Blitz
What sort of pump/tank would i need?
Would depend on caliber for sure, but, an entry level compressor (as suggested above) in the $600+- range will make your new PCP purchase much more enjoyable than a pump. An 97CF SCBA tank as an addition will cost as much as your "entry level compressor", so, many questions to figure out on your quest.

Patrick

Reactions: chickenofthetree
Would depend on caliber for sure, but, an entry level compressor (as suggested above) in the $600+- range will make your new PCP purchase much more enjoyable than a pump. An 97CF SCBA tank as an addition will cost as much as your "entry level compressor", so, many questions to figure out on your quest.

Patrick
ive read reviews on this rifle and reviews say they are a hit and miss. like defects and etc.. air leaks;
im willing to take a chance, lol.
Im looking at the 22 caliber

@chickenofthetree I suggest you get this rifle it's a steal and good service from Crosman if you need it. At 3K you can hand pump it if you have to but any cheap Chinese compressor can fill it. Caydens are a great rifle I love mine.

Reactions: Raysfan
some local firehouses might fill your tank. maybe take a box of donuts and ask nicely?
i'm lucky to live fairly close to an airgun store that fills for free. at some point i will get a compressor so i am not dependent.
Commenting on LBC’s suggestion about taking your tank to a local fire dept-

Since I’ve been into this hobby 6 years ago, I’ve seen that suggested to 100% everyone getting into this sport, and from everyone thats already been into this sport, except myself. I’m curious, as I know there are a few fire fighters and volunteer fire fighters on this site sharing this hobby, that can offer input on how feasible that really is.

I bring this up only because I myself have two fire depts within five miles from me in opposite directions, and I have yet to go down and ask if they’d be willing to fill/top off a tank. I no longer need to worry about that as I have a compressor and tanks, but early on when I only had a tank I was hesitant to even ask as I knew how busy my two nearby stations were. I couldn’t imagine coming in and asking them to pull off one of their employees to attend to my needs. Maybe if I got lucky the first time but certainly not once a week!

Not to mention the liabilities which I know nothing about but I’m sure it’s there, as the fire fighter is topping/filling a tank that’s unfamiliar to him, and for an owner of the tank he doesn’t even know. It would suck if say something of the stations fill equipment busted, while topping off a tank for some off the street pcp guy, can you imagine?

I personally know of a guy that was close friends of the stations captain and the captain offered to fill his tank but he told me even that got old as he hated bugging the Captain and it wasn’t like he always got his tank filled at that moment. Some days he’d be calling the Captain asking if he ever got to his tank yet.

So, you fire fighters enjoying this hobby on this forum, maybe pipe in on one of these threads and offer your experiences with filling tanks for folks off the street. It’s not just the pcp guys looking for air, or even the paint ballers. The off road guys like these tanks for having air to air their tires back up after a week of rock ceawling(as told to me by one of my local fire fighters)

I could be 100% off base, but maybe we need to rethink giving this suggestion to folks getting into this hobby, before they spend big $$ on a tank thinking they could just mosey on down to their local fire house to get their tanks filled

Last edited:
at this point im thinking about the Hatsan Blitz
What sort of pump/tank would i need?
I would buy a Daystate Revere and a hand pump.

That way you buy a super rifle and you can save for an Omega compressor. Then you will have a super rifle and a super reliable small compressor.

Two really good purchase instead of two in a hurry.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I use a tank and getting it filled is not much of a problem for me. However if you do not have a fill solurce close by then a compressor is a good thing. I also have a Nomad II compressor I used to use while away from home. It is on it’s way back to me from Air Venturi for warranty work. Hats off to AV for their service, but the inconvenience of not having it has me thinking a big compressor may be in order in the near future.
Before you you buy the Hatsan, I would suggest a search on this forum of the subject. I read too many unhappy posts about the service and quality to make me comfortable.

I would buy a Daystate Revere and a hand pump.

That way you buy a super rifle and you can save for an Omega compressor. Then you will have a super rifle and a super reliable small compressor.

Two really good purchase instead of two in a hurry.
This right here is how I started. The Huntsman is easy to hand pump. Heirloom quality rifle will last you for years (Taking my Huntsman to range right now five years later!). I got lucky and purchased my Omega used for $900 and has been bullet proof for the last five years. Slow and steady wins the race. Give Airguns of Arizona a call, they will take care of your Daystate needs!