• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Very happy with these BSA modifications

I added a few mods to my BSA Goldstar SE and have been happy with the results. Most of these will work for several models in the BSA lineup so I wanted to mention them since I’ve not heard much discussion about some of these. The first thing I added was a HUMA regulator. The stock one was tamper resistant and not adjustable. The HUMA one is about 2 inches shorter than OE so it does make the air tube look shorter but doesn’t decrease the air volume since it’s smaller and doesn’t take up much space. I went from 25 shots at 850 FPS to 26 shots at 890 FPS. So I was able to gain 40 FPS and one shot on the same fill pressure. The factory tune had the hammer spring maxed out and wasn’t efficient. I upped the regulator pressure to 115 Bar from the factory setting of 100 Bar. I’m also getting a lower standard deviation and extreme spread on my shot strings. I also ordered a HUMA shroud and it works extremely well. My rifle was quieter with the shroud than three moderators I had on hand, a Donny Koi, Donny Tanto and Huggett Magna. It also looks better to me and gives it a bull barrel look. My aim point and accuracy wasn’t affected with the shroud either. The last thing I did was add a large rubber ball to the end of the bolt. It’s much easier to grip now especially if you have larger hands and I can definitely load a little quicker with it added on. I also like the look better, but the function improvement was the reason for adding it. I’ll post some before and after pics below. The shroud adds 5 inches to the length, it looks more than that due to the air tube being 2” shorter with the new regulator. 
892051BD-BF35-4E0A-A59C-2AC2C4D08422.1646106523.jpeg
DC5C21B4-ECCA-4A2C-B3F2-4AF4828FF3CA.1646106524.jpeg
5A56E38E-853F-4136-861E-D29B3CF7238B.1646106525.jpeg

Reactions: cavedweller
Nice mods! Looks like it'd be real sweet to shoot! Some hammer and reg tuning alone can go a LONG ways toward overall shooting characteristics, noise even, and consistency

Thanks! It might have been a little quieter after the reg install and tune. The shroud made a huge difference, I tried it with my regular moderators after the tune before I put the shroud on. It takes a little more time but I try to one do one or two modifications and then shoot the rifle. It makes it a lot easier to find out what helped or hurt the most that way. 

I like it! I have Ultra SE .22 coming for my low power needs. Not sold on a reg but that ball seems like it could be a good idea. Also look into a Blast Tamer. I'm going to be doing one of those.

I highly recommend the shroud from HUMA also. I made a blast tamer but the connector that tensions the spring was too large and rubbed the inside of the stock. I need to find a smaller one. Let me know if you find one somewhere. 

Just ordered one 899 . What a deal. What pellets where you shooting. Had a shot a tequila still on sale. Pulled the trigger. .

I’m using JSB 10.34 for now. I’ve got the same weight in FX and Air Arms pellets to try when I get it sorted out the way I want it. I guarantee it will shoot one of them a little better than the other two even though JSB makes them all. I’m betting on the Air Arms or FX’s that’s why I’m testing with the JSB’s. I got the last .177, I assume you picked up a .22? Also search for the blast tamer that Dairyboy mentioned above. It reduces hammer bounce and will give you more shots per fill and reduce the noise level some.

I really like the mods you have made and it looks great. 

Do know if anyone makes a hammer debounce for this rifle

Do know if anyone makes a hammer debounce for this rifle?

You want a spring stop guide (SSG) and a lighter hammer. This will eliminate the bounce that these BSA’s are known for. I have a friend that might be making these for me along with an air tube extension that will make it almost as long as the shroud. I’m hoping that this will at least double my current shot count.

Do know if anyone makes a hammer debounce for this rifle

Do know if anyone makes a hammer debounce for this rifle?

You want a spring stop guide (SSG) and a lighter hammer. This will eliminate the bounce that these BSA’s are known for. I have a friend that might be making these for me along with an air tube extension that will make it almost as long as the shroud. I’m hoping that this will at least double my current shot count.

You have good friends! You should introduce me to them. 😛 

Anyway, Yes I would be very interested in "SSG w/ lighter hammer" and the "air tube extension". I didn't know you could just add on to the tube.