• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Venting Avenger Shroud

I got the Avenger in today and put a mono-core baffle I got on ebay into the end of the shroud. This is mostly to try to increase accuracy by supporting the barrel and stripping the air to reduce turbulence. I am not as concerned with noise as I will be tuning it down for lighter pellets and higher shot count, but I am hoping it will knock the noise down a bit.

Would drilling a small hole or two in the Avenger shroud, towards the back end, help the mono-core baffles work better? My thinking is the air could move toward the back more easily, since the shroud would not be pressurized.

Thanks,

-pg

I think the shroud is aluminum so I don't think cold bluing will work. I put 8 small holes in the back of the shroud of my Avenger. I did it because my P35 has them and is quieter. It didn't seem to help the Tanto I bought after giving up on creating baffles for the Avenger shroud but later I got an in shroud moderator that the holes definitely help. Depending on the number and size of the holes, it may get noisier for you but quieter down range. That is what I have with my 8 holes. Maybe 4 or 6 would make the two closer to the same. But I like mine the way it is, mainly I want to minimize noise down range. Some think a baffle of some sort should be inside the shroud where the holes are to minimize lead dust coming out. I am not so convinced but I put a hair curler wrapped in felt back there and it didn't hurt anything.

@JimD That is really interesting that more holes affect the sound. I was thinking a small enough amount of air would be getting stripped away that just depressurizing the tube, with even one hole, would make all the difference. But it sounds like a decent bit of air is heading your way on your setup, and multiple holes are making a difference. Just out of curiosity, what kind of power are you generating?