Velocity.

That turns me on. Always did. The fastest racehorse for the pellet.

Ha.

Do we go small caliber and stay there for the highest velocity or not?

We want the highest velocities we can get in any caliber!

Later on comes the mass argument competing with velocity. 

I used to own a .17 Remmy in BDL but sold it later just to get into .220 Swift territory or the Savage version in .22-250 settling in 6mm Remmy territory in 75gr Sierra Hollow Points reloaded to 3605 fps mv to kill coyotes out to 400 yards.

Velocity needs to be stable in any rifle to make accuracy. So do the bullets and the powder charge or maybe, in this case, the air charge.

Air rifles are always like powder rifles to us and we have to learn how to use them as efficiently at shorter ranges with more precision than MOA at 100 yards.

So I have the .17 Hornady Hornet in CZ527 Bolt (.22 Hornet in Anschutz) to .458 Lott. In between I owned and targeted every caliber under Lott including .416 Rigby. 

The Rigby had the hardest recoil while the .458 Winchester Magnum had manageable recoil to reload without losing consciousness momentarily from recoil.

I own .458 Lott, .375 Holland and Holland, .358 Winchester, .348 Winchester, many rifles with lower calibers and can say either the Rigby .416 will kill along with the .458 Winchester.

One has a velocity higher (.416) but the other in plain velocity, the plain 500 gr .458 Winchester, has around 2000 fps and other ammunition can increase the results.

The point is velocity has to be compared with ability using the weight of the projectile to be accurate or deadly.

After getting over 30 years of age sometime ago I realized velocity wasn't everything. A .264 Winchester loaded with 100 grain bullets bombed a crater on an Elk in the Ruby Mountains near Elko by a man I knew years ago who had bought the Winchester 70 Sporter .264 Winchester Magnum. 

When he told me the 100 grain bullet blew out all the meat from a crater wound I was not surprised because you don't use a .264 Winchester Magnum with 100 grain bullets unless you are shooting varmints. The 140 was better for Elk.

In air rifles we do decrease our range and expectation. We have to be confined to short range compared to even a rimfire of any sort and more precise because the bullet is hollow in the air rifle world as a "pellet".

Well.

Things get more interesting in the pellet world with velocity and mass.

We eventually realize mass and velocity matter together to make a best projectile to expel from a caliber; finding the highest and lowest don't work in velocity and the mass makes the difference to decide at whatever range.

What caliber in an air rifle is capable of shooting precisely at say 100 yards offhand?

No rests or leanings here. Offhand.

You pick it for your self. 

It won't have too much velocity like the PCPs we springer types have to compare to all the time.

Kindly,

probably any of the big calibers are better, gun weight into consideration, one reason i like the bulldog is its pretty light, im sure i could nail a 9" plate at 100 with it most of the time offhand .. that said ive hit neighborhood cats stalking my chickens at a dead run over 80 yards offand *with the prod ..not enough energy there to give them more than a sore as though lol ..

I will keep an eye on this, I won't click follow, but I will keep an eye on. You post a lot of dialogue, but never any pics. I realize people can fake pics easily but after some years on the forum you learn to respect certain posters. I often read your posts and wonder, "where are you headed with this?" or "what is your point?" I hope to see some folks pick up the gauntlet on this one (not necessarily the Umarex). Admittedly, I would suck at 100 yd off-hand shooting so if you are offended by this response feel free to bash me on that!

I will keep an eye on this, I won't click follow, but I will keep an eye on. You post a lot of dialogue, but never any pics. I realize people can fake pics easily but after some years on the forum you learn to respect certain posters. I often read your posts and wonder, "where are you headed with this?" or "what is your point?" I hope to see some folks pick up the gauntlet on this one (not necessarily the Umarex). Admittedly, I would suck at 100 yd off-hand shooting so if you are offended by this response feel free to bash me on that!

Agreed. 100 yards off hand for me would probably not look too good on paper.....rested?? Different story!

Ha.

I used to own a .17 Remmy in BDL but sold it later just to get into .220 Swift territory or the Savage version in .22-250 settling in 6mm Remmy territory in 75gr Sierra Hollow Points reloaded to 3605 fps mv to kill coyotes out to 400 yards.

Velocity needs to be stable in any rifle to make accuracy. So do the bullets and the powder charge or maybe, in this case, the air charge.

Air rifles are always like powder rifles to us and we have to learn how to use them as efficiently at shorter ranges with more precision than MOA at 100 yards.

So I have the .17 Hornady Hornet in CZ527 Bolt (.22 Hornet in Anschutz) to .458 Lott. In between I owned and targeted every caliber under Lott including .416 Rigby. 

The Rigby had the hardest recoil while the .458 Winchester Magnum had manageable recoil to reload without losing consciousness momentarily from recoil.

I own .458 Lott, .375 Holland and Holland, .358 Winchester, .348 Winchester, many rifles with lower calibers and can say either the Rigby .416 will kill along with the .458 Winchester.

One has a velocity higher (.416) but the other in plain velocity, the plain 500 gr .458 Winchester, has around 2000 fps and other ammunition can increase the results.

The point is velocity has to be compared with ability using the weight of the projectile to be accurate or deadly.

After getting over 30 years of age sometime ago I realized velocity wasn't everything. A .264 Winchester loaded with 100 grain bullets bombed a crater on an Elk in the Ruby Mountains near Elko by a man I knew years ago who had bought the Winchester 70 Sporter .264 Winchester Magnum. 

When he told me the 100 grain bullet blew out all the meat from a crater wound I was not surprised because you don't use a .264 Winchester Magnum with 100 grain bullets unless you are shooting varmints. The 140 was better for Elk.

In air rifles we do decrease our range and expectation. We have to be confined to short range compared to even a rimfire of any sort and more precise because the bullet is hollow in the air rifle world as a "pellet".

Well.

We eventually realize mass and velocity matter together to make a best projectile to expel from a caliber; finding the highest and lowest don't work in velocity and the mass makes the difference to decide at whatever range.

What caliber in an air rifle is capable of shooting precisely at say 100 yards offhand?

It won't have too much velocity like the PCPs we springer types have to compare to all the time.

Kindly,

What does any of that have to do with content here on a AIRGUN forum? 

Ha.

Well.

Kindly,

What does any of that have to do with content here on a AIRGUN forum? 

LOL ! Was wondering that myself.