• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

velocity?

I received the gun as a gift and am absolutely new to the world of air rifles. I am an experienced reloader and shooter of conventional pistols and rifles. When I received the rifle I ran a couple of dry patches down the bore to remove oil or any foreign material present. I then examined the bore with my borescope and discovered something that is to me strange. The attached photos are pictures of the bore at the breech and the muzzle areas. Instead of a conventional crown where the bore meets the muzzle device the rifling simply plays out in a non uniform manner about 5/8" from the joint with the muzzle device. The breech end is cut with a small bevel and the rifling starts full diameter. (It looks like a conventional crown). The picture on the left is the breech end. The middle picture is the end of the barrel where it meets the muzzle device. Note that there is no rifling. The picture on the right is where the rifling ends about 5/8" back from the joint with the muzzle device. The rifling does not end cleanly or in a uniform manner. As I said I am not familiar with air rifles but I do not see how this rifle could be expected to group very well with the way the rifling terminates in the barrel. It appears to me the skirt of the pellet can't possibly exit the rifling in a uniform manner. Can anyone explain how this rifle barrel works properly? 

IPC_2021-07-11.17.22.46.29802.1626046882.jpg
IPC_2021-07-11.17.15.15.86701.1626046929.jpg
IPC_2021-07-11.17.15.10.96501.1626046982.jpg

i cant explain it much lol .. but inside a tube like the moderator it wouldnt be as critical as open air i wouldnt think, the gas escaping unevenly from one side of the skirt would tend to push it off center, thats the 'critical' aspect of a good crown ...... im sure it affects it some though and cleaning it up so the actual barrel ends perfectly and then no contact with the moderator would be much better .. also at the breech end a sharp edge can 'peel' pieces of pellet off or deform it that should be smoothed slightly ..the pellet seated in the rifling is ok though, although i would want it where it tightened up right at full seat - pellets vary quite a bit to so, a happy medium compromise is probably best .. but a springer has alot more working against it than a cheezy barrel lol .. its banging and slapping the whole gun as the pellet is leaving .. thats the huge issue with them .. tuning tries to make that happen smoother and at a spot that doesnt affect it so bad ...

Gamo is not known for great QC. I've seen that on a Gamo shadow I repaired - I re-crowned it. Maybe they put the barrel in backwards! (probably not) usually the breech is reamed a bit more than the crown, to allow the pellet to be loaded flush with the breech without having to press too hard on the back of the pellet. I have not owned any of the newer Gamo's so I cant say with much authority about what to expect, other than - most air rifles have a crown that look more like your breech photo.