• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Velocity sweet spot on 30 cal boss and Best pellets

I recently got a Boss and also have been using the 44 gr pellets. From what I hear on the forums, they are more accurate (probably because they shoot flatter) than the 51 gr pellets. I just got a .30 pellet gauge and sorted them. They were very consistent with 75% of the pellets being 7.65 head diameter and 25% being 7.66. 
Weight is another story. One tin ranges from 44.2 grains to 45.8 grains, although this seems like a huge variation, as a percentage, it's not that as bad as it looks, as a .1 grain difference in a .30 pellet that weighs 45 grains is not that much compared to a .1 grain difference in a .177 pellet that weighs 8 grains.
So, I've sorted them by weight and head diameter and will start testing today. I'll write back when I have the results.

As far as the sweet spot for velocity, the Boss is regulated, so my understanding is that there isn't a sweet spot the way you would have in a non-regulated gun. That's just my understanding, so if anyone out there knows any differently, please chime in.

Enjoy shooting! - Chas

Chas thanks for your response. I have not herd of a sizer that is something I would like to find. Where can you get them?

As to weighing that is something I am familar with, I have reloaded powder burners for years and have a number of very accurate scales. interestingly enough i also went thru and weighed about 5 tins of the 44's as well. I had very simular results mine ranged from 44.6 to 45.6 grains that is only 1 grain but most from 44.8 to 45.3 or half of a grain . And yes that may sound like a lot but for thoes not familar with how much that really is. A piece of dryer sheet an inch and half square weighs 1 grain. I was showing a old veteran machinest of 40 plus years my results and he couldnt believe they could be massed produced that close.

Yes let us know your results.

As to adjusting the boss I am pretty sure can be adjusted up and down By hammer spring and the regulator setting. Regulated guns have a seperate air chamber on the hammer spring end so as the air pressure in the tank goes down you have the same the resistance on the valve every time I.E. regulated. If anyone knows different please chime in

Yup sounds right to me guys, I just got mine a couple weeks ago, had to wait on my scope and pellets. Still waiting on my bipod and rail but have you tried the fx pellets yet? There a little heavier, but in my opinion accuracy is right there. Now I have shot five groups of 4 shots each . And the fx pellets were just a fragment of a **** hair better. This is however, my gun,,barrel match and it is shooting about 920 fps ave. so that's my beginning report. I haven't spent no were near enough time with this gun to be quoting much at this point, but give me some time an I with report back for sure. Best Steve