• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Velocity optimization

Ok, another important item, shot count. Above numbers were from the first 49 of 52 shots. Last three shots appeared to be post regulated shots; 925,926, 925 compared to average of 931.5.

Correction to above numbers 49 shots included a LO of 927 and not 925 listed above.
Correct numbers for 49 shots:
Hi 935, Lo 927, Avg 931.5, ES 8, SD 2.9

Just found "edit" function, will use in future.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Wildcat but.....I think I would be happy with those numbers except maybe the accuracy at 50yds. I think the gun in capable of 1/2" groups at that range but the barrel may need cleaning and broken in more. Also, I think more experience with the rifle will tighten those groups. 

With that said, someone may give you a better velocity to shoot the 18gr JSB's at for more accuracy. 

Search the web for published shot groups/strings from the .22 Wildcat, lots out there, record the velocities from the different postings, establish a range of velocity, start at the low end and work your way up until you get the best groupings. I would recommend checking closely and cleaning the barrel; my new .25 Wildcat barrel was filthy, performance results were night and day difference after cleaning. Make a good reference mark of the OEM position before moving the hammer spring adjuster, go 1/4 turn at a time, clockwise = faster.

I removed the barrel for easier inspection and cleaning, also removed the barrel shroud/stripper assembly. I couldn't see the crud in the barrel with it on the gun. I had only ran a few mags. through it before checking/cleaning the barrel. The smooth bore sector was streaked and the rifled sector was caked with lead, it took significant effort and time to get it thoroughly clean. I have shot a tin + since and the barrel is still clean. If it requires a brush I would suggest pulling out the breech o-ring and reinstall after cleaning.

Dragged a few patches through the barrel and shot today with just a light breeze. Shot 3/4" group at 55 yards, so getting better. Will do a more through cleaning job and test again. When group sizes stop improving at 55 yards will start working on 100 yards shoots.

Did shoot a bunch of Crosman Premier Hollow Point 14.3 gr. Although not as repeatable as the JSB 15.89 gr they were pretty close. Pretty close equals 1.25" (9 shots and dropping 2 fliers), compared to JSB's at 0.75" (no filers) all at 55 yards and under the same conditions. The two pellet's group centers of impact were windage and elevation equal, which was not expected.