• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Velocities Hot or Not? With FX STX Superior Liners and Diabolo Heavy Pellets...

Joe, I did a very brief one on GTA awhile back as the action is the same as all the HMx LRT's so it would have been redundant, most of it was on the new Chassis which just makes it lighter and AR furniture interchangeable. Basic simple guns nothing much to elaborate on that already has been said! Keep up the excellent mods and tunes for your awesome FX guns! Luv reading and learning anything PCP related and you do a great job of explaining all details and steps clearly, just like a book, my kind of learning!

RAW’s are super nice 👍🏽!! I’d need some practice with the trigger on one, they’re really lightweight like 6 ounces right?

Thanks bro!

My Air Arms S500 .177 won't tolerate high speeds. 900 and up, whatever the projectile, is fair to poor at 30 yds. Once I stopped filling to 175-200 bar and used about 125, and closed the TP to about 50%, I began getting sub-0.4" 5-shot groups with my preferred hunting pellet, AA 10.3, at about 870 fps.

Seems some rifles will and some won't. Is it spin (too much or not enough), harmonics (more in some rifles as power rises compared to others) or a velocity limit factor? Seems if some rifles shoot accurately near (or above) 1000 fps with a given pellet then it could not be the latter for that same pellet in any rifle. Some specific to individual gun combination of barrel harmonics and spin may be the answer in many cases.

Only some like it hot. Lol! Some not. 😎

Joe, I did a very brief one on GTA awhile back as the action is the same as all the HMx LRT's so it would have been redundant, most of it was on the new Chassis which just makes it lighter and AR furniture interchangeable. Basic simple guns nothing much to elaborate on that already has been said! Keep up the excellent mods and tunes for your awesome FX guns! Luv reading and learning anything PCP related and you do a great job of explaining all details and steps clearly, just like a book, my kind of learning!

RAW’s are super nice 👍🏽!! I’d need some practice with the trigger on one, they’re really lightweight like 6 ounces right?

Thanks bro!

My Air Arms S500 .177 won't tolerate high speeds. 900 and up, whatever the projectile, is fair to poor at 30 yds. Once I stopped filling to 175-200 bar and used about 125, and closed the TP to about 50%, I began getting sub-0.4" 5-shot groups with my preferred hunting pellet, AA 10.3, at about 870 fps.

Seems some rifles will and some won't. Is it spin (too much or not enough), harmonics (more in some rifles as power rises compared to others) or a velocity limit factor? Seems if some rifles shoot accurately near (or above) 1000 fps with a given pellet then it could not be the latter for that same pellet in any rifle. Some specific to individual gun combination of barrel harmonics and spin may be the answer in many cases.

Only some like it hot. Lol! Some not. 😎

Joe, they come from the factory @ 6-7 oz but when I purchased mine from Ken Hick's of SPAW I had him tune it to about 9-10 oz a happy medium for target and hunting/pesting. It is a great predictable trigger although on rare occasions I fire quicker than intended! They are tunable for a low of 2 oz.....yikes! Not my cup of tea! It would be great for competition shooting that light, but that's about it.

I just want to add here: I had seen lots of videos and also this post where people are shooting FX rifles with Superior barrels, 700 mm. I have a Maverick Sniper, so I assumed that would translate to mine. Nope. I tried the JSB 18.13 at 920, 970, and 1015 fps. The 920 group was decent (0.7 inches @ 37 yards), but the other two were 1.2 and 2.5 inches respectively. 

I also tried the JSB Knockouts. I had seen people shot them at 900 fps with great accuracy. I tried to replicate that, with both .216 and .217 calibers and they grouped extremely bad at 37 yards (1 inch groups). Those are my findings. I really wonder if I have to increase the power for these Knockouts, but that would mean increasing max power from 40 FPE to 55 FPE. I dont have a fixed source of air, so I am not very prone to waste air emptying the plenum.