Vector Veyron IR 3-12×44

Having just a red dot scope is like using a red dot . I have an Arken with Illuminated cross and dot retical so I know what they look like, I have a UTG w lit reticle also. My evening or night time pests are all under 30 yards so NO need for me. No long range night hunting for me either. I would get a Zulus if night hunting was my gig.
@Headshots How do you like the illuminated reticle on the Arken? Would you not want to use it under similar circumstances as the Veyron w/IR?

It was nuts . Our dogs, a Shepard and Staffordshire terrier , were doing a good job in the yard . They had the tail chewed off and it was beat up. It was the screaming from my little lady that made our staffy think he was in trouble and he headed towards the house and that's when it locked onto buddy's rear leg . I headed for the knife drawer and made a quick decision . Stab it or knock it out. I hit that raccoon hard in the head several times saying get off my fn dog . It was good size raccoon and I was surprised it came to as hard as I was hitting it. My stepson handed me his .410 and the crazy thing is it took 2 shots with the shotgun.

Raccoons are like little bears. It’s a good thing you were there to help the dogs because I’ve seen them cut dogs up pretty decent.

Reactions: Headshots
@Headshots How do you like the illuminated reticle on the Arken? Would you not want to use it under similar circumstances as the Veyron w/IR?

Raccoons are like little bears. It’s a good thing you were there to help the dogs because I’ve seen them cut dogs up pretty decent.

The Arken is nice but the dot is really fine for day use sometimes it gets lost on black center targets. There is a space between the dot and cross and a hash mark on the bottom that could be used for ranging at longer distance or short distance hold over I suppose. And it's ffp . But yes I would use it under similar conditions

I just turned the Vector ir up to six and it does show the whole reticle. It's faint but would be much brighter at night. Any lower settings and it's just a dot. I will check it out in darkness tonight . It's a spf .

@Headshots & @Ezana4CE

A thanks to the both of you for an insightful, thorough discussion in this thread. This specific scope VV 3-12x44IR was a recent acquisition for a bullpup that is used for pest hunting Boar (depredation) at night. My first impression of looking through this scope, during the daytime, was underwhelming to say the least. I reside in a heavily forested tropical environment with 40 shades of green & looking through this scope made everything look blah - no sharp contrast between colors & washed out - an immediate thought came to mind of lense coatings. In comparison, my go to Hawke Sport 2-7x32IR during the day is like wearing a very nice pair of Maui Jim or Vaurnet sunglasses; high quality lense coatings enabling a pleasing restful experience while yet being crisp and vivid.

Now lets use these scopes at night. My trusty Hawke with an etched mildot reticle at its lowest Illumination setting is way too bright destroying my night vision. The Vector Veyron with its single illuminated dot, set low, is just right. The depredation is conducted within my point blank range of 13 through 57 yards (ethical night hunting) 98% of the time as ranging during the hours of darkness and limited visibility due to heavy/thick vegetation is difficult at best. However No depredation would be possible without the aid of a predator mounted light as there is no ambient light to illuminate the intended target.

Ah, Zulus you say. If it works for you by all means use it. For my needs and intended purpose “the simpler the better”. Have you spent a prolonged period looking through your nightvision scope/camera searching for your target? It gets old and puts a strain on your eyes. Perhaps a thermal to go along with your nightvision device to solve that issue. What ever works for you is what works for you. Choices!

Although the VV 3-12x44IR has limited elevation/windage along with a tight/picky eyebox & really is better suited to bullpups it has filled a niche for me and for that I am greatful.

@Headshots & @Ezana4CE

A thanks to the both of you for an insightful, thorough discussion in this thread. This specific scope VV 3-12x44IR was a recent acquisition for a bullpup that is used for pest hunting Boar (depredation) at night. My first impression of looking through this scope, during the daytime, was underwhelming to say the least. I reside in a heavily forested tropical environment with 40 shades of green & looking through this scope made everything look blah - no sharp contrast between colors & washed out - an immediate thought came to mind of lense coatings. In comparison, my go to Hawke Sport 2-7x32IR during the day is like wearing a very nice pair of Maui Jim or Vaurnet sunglasses; high quality lense coatings enabling a pleasing restful experience while yet being crisp and vivid.

Now lets use these scopes at night. My trusty Hawke with an etched mildot reticle at its lowest Illumination setting is way too bright destroying my night vision. The Vector Veyron with its single illuminated dot, set low, is just right. The depredation is conducted within my point blank range of 13 through 57 yards (ethical night hunting) 98% of the time as ranging during the hours of darkness and limited visibility due to heavy/thick vegetation is difficult at best. However No depredation would be possible without the aid of a predator mounted light as there is no ambient light to illuminate the intended target.

Ah, Zulus you say. If it works for you by all means use it. For my needs and intended purpose “the simpler the better”. Have you spent a prolonged period looking through your nightvision scope/camera searching for your target? It gets old and puts a strain on your eyes. Perhaps a thermal to go along with your nightvision device to solve that issue. What ever works for you is what works for you. Choices!

Although the VV 3-12x44IR has limited elevation/windage along with a tight/picky eyebox & really is better suited to bullpups it has filled a niche for me and for that I am greatful.

I can't stay awake past 10 o'clock anyways. I have a Hawke 4x on a Urban . It's decent glass but I wouldn't say its better than the Vector imo . And it's a standard mil-dot scope so holdover is more challenging and no IR . And no I've never stared at a NV screen all night. But thanks for the insight. Guys seemed to like the Zulus for night time pesting . Amazon sells NV binoculars for cheap . But you would recommend thermal ? Your recommendations might help fellow night hunters out there. I do catch mice , moles and voles in traps often , and I only eliminate the pests causing problems. A raccoon comes by at night and eats the dead critters. I was,wonder who was eating them , and saw some raccoon prints on our last snow. I could have dropped him long ago but he doesn't cause any problems.

It was getting me dime size groups earlier with .177 chps at 30 yards when waiting on the wind . So it's doing its job and no eye strain.

We no longer have dogs or outside cats. It's been 4 years of so .

Last edited:
Hi Headshots,

My reference to thermal was soley to relieve eye strain from constant viewing through nightvision. Thermal is an additional tool to scan for prey. It is quick and effective therefore preventing constant scaning through nightvision eliminating excessive eye strain.

I am not clear what you mean in paragragh 2 above. You are utilizing your VV and experiencing no eye strain? Same here as my predator light is used for scaning with the naked eye unassisted by magnification. It is the glow of eyes that the light picks up & VV scope is used to take care of business.

Hi Headshots,

My reference to thermal was soley to relieve eye strain from constant viewing through nightvision. Thermal is an additional tool to scan for prey. It is quick and effective therefore preventing constant scaning through nightvision eliminating excessive eye strain.

I am not clear what you mean in paragragh 2 above. You are utilizing your VV and experiencing no eye strain? Same here as my predator light is used for scaning with the naked eye unassisted by magnification. It is the glow of eyes that the light picks up & VV scope is used to take care of business.

Vector veyron , meant using it . Crossman hollow points , cheap pellets that do a good job on pests and are accurate .

How much does a setup for night pesting cost ?

If you remain in your point blank range and have adequate ambient light you already have all that you need. If you do not have adequate ambient light but still remain within your point blank range a predator light will be needed. I use an Odepro model 57 I believe. It is more than adequate for airguns and very well thoughtout as well as constructed. You can use a predator light outside of your point blank range although you may find ranging your preys distance more challenging in the dark and this is generally where nightvision with ranging capabilities come’s into play.

Odepro single color green $80.00 or less tonyour door. Odepro with 4 color pills $120.00 or less.

Zulus approximately $750 TYD

Thermal monocular (scanning) $ 500 TYD

Decent thermal scope $2,000 TYD

This is my experience & I hope I have been of some help.

The Arken is nice but the dot is really fine for day use sometimes it gets lost on black center targets. There is a space between the dot and cross and a hash mark on the bottom that could be used for ranging at longer distance or short distance hold over I suppose. And it's ffp . But yes I would use it under similar conditions

I just turned the Vector ir up to six and it does show the whole reticle. It's faint but would be much brighter at night. Any lower settings and it's just a dot. I will check it out in darkness tonight . It's a spf .
@Headshots I’ve noticed that effect before. In my experience seeing the entire reticle illuminated depended upon my head position from what I recall. It was not reliably repeatable. It’s not something that is fresh in my mind. I experienced enough to remove it
the 4-16x44 from my airgun. I assume that the benefit of the 3-12x44 IR would be that you don’t lose the compactness or gain much more weight compared to non-IR 3-12x or 4-16x Veyron.

Yes, if one can appreciate the reticle and scope features this compact scope design works great on certain bullpups, especially an EDgun Lelya 2.0. I think that it is an acceptable scope to pair with small a carbine-styled airgun like a Benjamín Marauder pistol keeping it relatively light and balanced. I imagine it would also work well with a Brocock Atomic, RAW Mico Hunter, Tapain Vet shorty, or other unusually compact air rifles. It’s definitely a worthwhile bargain when priced under $200 for those that have no issues with the size or fineness of the reticle. Anyhow, thanks for elaborating.

@Headshots I have a larger Veyron 4-16x44 IR and several 3-12x44 non-IR. The 3-12x are nice (love them on my Lelya and Prod), they only lack a suitable illuminated reticle. $140 isn’t a bad deal at all if the scope works for you. The 4-16x is not on any airgun I own. In my experience it’s not suitable for hunting in the woods let alone for night hunting. If I can’t see the reticle sub-tensions against the animal, an illuminated center dot is pretty useless for people like myself that holdover tracking animals that tend to move a lot. I’m not in the habit of guessing. Conversely, if I were to hunt and shoot animals solely within PB zero range an illuminated dot would be acceptable.

What exactly is it that you like about a scope with only an illuminated center dot within the reticle as opposed to an illuminated reticle for use on an airgun? I assume that you primarily shoot pests from your initial post. What sort of pests? In what type of setting? Which airguns are you using?
I really like the illuminated dot for early morning squirrel hunting in the woods, makes shot placement easier and lit reticle is distracting to me.. most shots need no hold over unless super close and low to ground and thats still easy enough.

Well I got Vector 3-12x44. And I'm very happy with it. The compact size and features make it the ideal scope for my airgun use. I've been a scope snob for so long thinking anything under $1500 wouldn't be good enough and now I own a $229 Chinese scope that I really like. Sure I'm not going to compare it to my Nightforce ATAC-R(on my centerfire) but I still really like this little scope. I'm going to order another one!

Happy as a puppy with two peckers!

scope.jpg

Here's one for $143 . 3x12 https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256....0.0.2fb538daZSUwXY&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

When I ordered mine it was $140 w IR . It was here in a week, they must have a us warehouse.
I saw that..here's one from Optic Planit, if they show up at all? Thx

Description
Price
Availability*
Qty 1: Vector Optics Veyron Rifle Scope, 3-12x44mm, Second Focal Plane, 30mm Tube, MPR-4 Non-Illuminated Reticle, 6061-T6, Black, SCOM-24
EG-RS-VEY312X44-SCOM-24
$125.30​
Estimated to ship within 7-18 days​

I saw that..here's one from Optic Planit, if they show up at all? Thx

Description
Price
Availability*
Qty 1: Vector Optics Veyron Rifle Scope, 3-12x44mm, Second Focal Plane, 30mm Tube, MPR-4 Non-Illuminated Reticle, 6061-T6, Black, SCOM-24
EG-RS-VEY312X44-SCOM-24
$125.30​
Estimated to ship within 7-18 days​

That's a decent deal .