Vector Veyron IR 3-12×44

There's been quite a few guys that have recommend the Vector Veyron scopes . I ran across a good deal on the Veyron 3x12x44 IR from aliexpres , under $140 bucks. I decided to take a chance and order one . I gotta say for the price it's been well worth it so far. It comes with a honeycomb flash suppressor, rings and scope covers. The IR dot will be really nice is for the darker colored pests in lower light situations . It's a big upgrade from the Swift 3-9 it replaced and is much better than the UTG scope I have . It's compact and lightweight and looks good on my shorty , and I'm really glad I listened to the recommendations. Money well spent.

20240404_154315.jpg
20240404_154339.jpg

First I've read of a 3-12x44 Vector Veyron scope with an IR. I'll have to look into this further.

Edit: After looking at the specs, it looks like Vector Optics is still screwing the pooch with the illuminated center dot as opposed to the reticle and sub-tensions and calling it an “IR” scope.

I like the dot only illumination myself.

Reactions: DeanB
I like the dot only illumination myself.

@Headshots I have a larger Veyron 4-16x44 IR and several 3-12x44 non-IR. The 3-12x are nice (love them on my Lelya and Prod), they only lack a suitable illuminated reticle. $140 isn’t a bad deal at all if the scope works for you. The 4-16x is not on any airgun I own. In my experience it’s not suitable for hunting in the woods let alone for night hunting. If I can’t see the reticle sub-tensions against the animal, an illuminated center dot is pretty useless for people like myself that holdover tracking animals that tend to move a lot. I’m not in the habit of guessing. Conversely, if I were to hunt and shoot animals solely within PB zero range an illuminated dot would be acceptable.

What exactly is it that you like about a scope with only an illuminated center dot within the reticle as opposed to an illuminated reticle for use on an airgun? I assume that you primarily shoot pests from your initial post. What sort of pests? In what type of setting? Which airguns are you using?

EZ,
Agree with OP on this one. Two of my 6 Vector Veyrons are illuminated red center dot, six shades, changed with side wheel in on/off configuration. (On-bright, Off, less bright, Off, less bright, Off, and so on, with each wheel click.) My other non-VV IR scopes, even at lowest reticle brightness, tend to wash out night sight picture. VV center dot, on low brightness, is just perfect, target visible with dim red dot superimposed. WM

Reactions: Headshots
They're great, but I did get a bad one. I have a 3-12X on my Katran and a 10X on my R10, but I also bought a 3-12X that was for my Notos that just wasn't clear. It was pretty evident that something was wrong, I couldn't even get the reticle clear. It went back and then I bought the 10X, so 2 outta 3 so far, for me. But, I gotta say, they're great scopes and I regard the one lemon as a fluke.

EZ,
Agree with OP on this one. Two of my 6 Vector Veyrons are illuminated red center dot, six shades, changed with side wheel in on/off configuration. (On-bright, Off, less bright, Off, less bright, Off, and so on, with each wheel click.) My other non-VV IR scopes, even at lowest reticle brightness, tend to wash out night sight picture. VV center dot, on low brightness, is just perfect, target visible with dim red dot superimposed. WM

@WorriedMan I’m curious as to how you workout holds when the subtensions are not visible in the dark or against a dark background when the center dot is only illuminated. Can you elaborate on that point? What are you hunting at night? With which airguns? I’m also still interested in the OP’s response.

Last edited:
@WorriedMan I’m curious as to how you workout holds when the subtensions are not visible in the dark or against a dark background when the center dot is only illuminated. Can you elaborate on that point? What are you hunting at night? With which airguns? I’m also still interested in the OP’s response.
Night pesting for armadillos in my backyard and raccoons in neighbors' trash, all 15- 20 yards. Streetlights and porch lights provide shadowy illumination in both instances. Use a red lens flashlight on M3 .25 to discern target in scope, however, impossible to see reticle. Full IR, even lowest setting, washes out sight picture in red and green colors, Vector Veyron's IR red center dot, on lowest setting, works perfectly. WM

Night pesting for armadillos in my backyard and raccoons in neighbors' trash, all 15- 20 yards. Streetlights and porch lights provide shadowy illumination in both instances. Use a red lens flashlight on M3 .25 to discern target in scope, however, impossible to see reticle. Full IR, even lowest setting, washes out sight picture in red and green colors, Vector Veyron's IR red center dot, on lowest setting, works perfectly. WM

@WorriedMan I can better understand your perspective. I’ve also experienced scopes that are too bright on their brightest settings, but maybe only one that was too bright on all visible settings. I have found a couple scope with reticles and illumination combos that are suitable for me needs. For night hunting there are general few to no lights where I night hunt with the exception of intermittent cars passing by in some roadside spots (like my beaver permission last year). As soon as I can gauge their distance it’s time to hold and shoot or the animal will likely move again. The IR switch on the parallax knob works well because I’m usually using the numbered parallax markings to figure my holds. Considering what we’ve both presented regarding our applications, our preferences make better sense IMO.

@Headshots I have a larger Veyron 4-16x44 IR and several 3-12x44 non-IR. The 3-12x are nice (love them on my Lelya and Prod), they only lack a suitable illuminated reticle. $140 isn’t a bad deal at all if the scope works for you. The 4-16x is not on any airgun I own. In my experience it’s not suitable for hunting in the woods let alone for night hunting. If I can’t see the reticle sub-tensions against the animal, an illuminated center dot is pretty useless for people like myself that holdover tracking animals that tend to move a lot. I’m not in the habit of guessing. Conversely, if I were to hunt and shoot animals solely within PB zero range an illuminated dot would be acceptable.

What exactly is it that you like about a scope with only an illuminated center dot within the reticle as opposed to an illuminated reticle for use on an airgun? I assume that you primarily shoot pests from your initial post. What sort of pests? In what type of setting? Which airguns are you using?

Having just a red dot scope is like using a red dot . I have an Arken with Illuminated cross and dot retical so I know what they look like, I have a UTG w lit reticle also. My evening or night time pests are all under 30 yards so NO need for me. No long range night hunting for me either. I would get a Zulus if night hunting was my gig.

Having just a red dot scope is like using a red dot . I have an Arken with Illuminated cross and dot retical so I know what they look like, I have a UTG w lit reticle also. My evening or night time pests are all under 30 yards so NO need for me. No long range night hunting for me either. I would get a Zulus if night hunting was my gig.
@Headshots I was actually thinking that the illuminated center red dot functions like a red dot at night.

The last raccoon I shot with my airgun was with a flashlight and lit reticle at 20 yards. A dot would have worked just as well. Most times I grab a .22lr pistol or rifle with open sights or a red dot . I can make all the noise I want . I've shot them with a .22 pistol and a flashlight. And one that was locked on to my dogs rear leg and my dog was dragging the coon in the front door. I beat that one over the head with a knife sharpener knocked it out but came to and then got it a four ten shotgun to the back of his head blew out its eyeballs and finished him . Thay are tough bastards .

@Headshots I’m trying to picture the scene with the dog dragging the coon in the house, then you beating it with the knife sharpener.

It was nuts . Our dogs, a Shepard and Staffordshire terrier , were doing a good job in the yard . They had the tail chewed off and it was beat up. It was the screaming from my little lady that made our staffy think he was in trouble and he headed towards the house and that's when it locked onto buddy's rear leg . I headed for the knife drawer and made a quick decision . Stab it or knock it out. I hit that raccoon hard in the head several times saying get off my fn dog . It was good size raccoon and I was surprised it came to as hard as I was hitting it. My stepson handed me his .410 and the crazy thing is it took 2 shots with the shotgun.