• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Vector Optics Continental 34mm FFP 5-30x56

I finally got a chance to look at this scope and compare it to three others I have. I still have not had a chance to put it to the test on the range and I currently don't have any way to take decent pictures looking through the scopes so I could show the differences. I'm working on that but not there yet.

Millett 35mm SFP 6-25x56 Which I've had a while on a 40XB

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 34mm FFP 6-24x50

And last and least Accushot 30mm SFP 8-32x56 

I could have left the last one off this list but what the heck.

I have had the Vortex scope on my Crown for a while and I have had no difficulties with it. It does everything I have expected it to do but after EBR last year, I decided it might be nice to have a FFP scope with just a little more magnification than the 25x it has. I also wanted a scope with the same or very similar christmas tree reticle on the Vortex. I saw pretty quick at EBR that with that amount of wind, being able to quickly hold over or off for aiming is very critical. If Vortex made a higher magnification FFP Diamondback in that price range, I would have bought it in an instant. They don't, so my search led me to the recently released Vector Continental. It was the only reasonably priced scope (under $1,500) that had everything I was looking for in one package.

I am not an optics expert and I do not have a Steiner, or Nightforce, or March, or any of the extremely high dollar scopes to compare this to, so I'm just giving my impression of my new scope. If I knew anyone with any of the high dollar scopes, i'd compare it to them.

I have seen on yt where some describe the turret clicks on a specific scope as being so sharp and defined that you can hear the clicks from a good distance and there is no chance of going past a click. I don't have a scope that could be described in such a manner. In fact the Accushot scope could almost be described as not having clicks.

I am perfectly happy with the way the clicks are on the Vector. They are not so defined that you need channel lock pliers to get out of the detent but they are fine for me.

I don't have any of the equipment needed to measure spherical or chromatic aberrations but I have been looking at trees and cattle at a distance of slightly over 1,000 yards on the 30x setting and the entire view looks clear and sharp at. The Millett does not look quite as sharp at the 25x setting but that could just be my prejudice showing through. The Vortex looks very similar to the Vector when at its maximum setting.

For the time being, I am happy with the Vector scope and would buy another one if I had a use for it. The only "sort of" complaint I could have regarding it is that it is beefy. It is a heavy scope. Fortunately, my use for it is in the area of long distance bench rest so that isn't a problem.

I will say if you don't have or don't feel you have, the need for a scope over the 24x of the Vortex Diamondback Tactical, then I would suggest that over the Vector since the Vector is almost twice the cost of the Vortex.

I'll be interested in seeing what the yt "experts" have to say about the Vector Optics Continental.

Reactions: Macros
True. My feeling is that FFP is better when shooting 100yd but you also have to take into consideration that I have no trophies hanging on my wall so I'm not even close to an expert. 

I also don't understand why on amazon the FFP is now $990 (I paid $800 when I bought mine from amazon) and the SFP is only $399 on amazon.

If you aren't careful in ordering, you could end up with the SFP and think you are getting a real deal on the FFP.

Edited to say, the seller that has the FFP for $990 now is the same seller I bought mine from for $800 a few weeks back.

Probably the same selling practice like I paid $90-$170 for all of the Vector lines of scopes only few years ago. Actually the most expensive one was $199.

They should have been smart to start off high like the other more popular selling well respected brands of Chinese made scopes.

You would be even sicker if you knew the real truth about how much that $800 Vector Optics labeled Chinese scope (and all other brands of Chinese made) actually cost their markup is crazy unbelievable.

I finally got a chance to look at this scope and compare it to three others I have. I still have not had a chance to put it to the test on the range and I currently don't have any way to take decent pictures looking through the scopes so I could show the differences. I'm working on that but not there yet.

Millett 35mm SFP 6-25x56 Which I've had a while on a 40XB

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 34mm FFP 6-24x50

And last and least Accushot 30mm SFP 8-32x56 

I could have left the last one off this list but what the heck.

I have had the Vortex scope on my Crown for a while and I have had no difficulties with it. It does everything I have expected it to do but after EBR last year, I decided it might be nice to have a FFP scope with just a little more magnification than the 25x it has. I also wanted a scope with the same or very similar christmas tree reticle on the Vortex. I saw pretty quick at EBR that with that amount of wind, being able to quickly hold over or off for aiming is very critical. If Vortex made a higher magnification FFP Diamondback in that price range, I would have bought it in an instant. They don't, so my search led me to the recently released Vector Continental. It was the only reasonably priced scope (under $1,500) that had everything I was looking for in one package.

I am not an optics expert and I do not have a Steiner, or Nightforce, or March, or any of the extremely high dollar scopes to compare this to, so I'm just giving my impression of my new scope. If I knew anyone with any of the high dollar scopes, i'd compare it to them.

I have seen on yt where some describe the turret clicks on a specific scope as being so sharp and defined that you can hear the clicks from a good distance and there is no chance of going past a click. I don't have a scope that could be described in such a manner. In fact the Accushot scope could almost be described as not having clicks.

I am perfectly happy with the way the clicks are on the Vector. They are not so defined that you need channel lock pliers to get out of the detent but they are fine for me.

I don't have any of the equipment needed to measure spherical or chromatic aberrations but I have been looking at trees and cattle at a distance of slightly over 1,000 yards on the 30x setting and the entire view looks clear and sharp at. The Millett does not look quite as sharp at the 25x setting but that could just be my prejudice showing through. The Vortex looks very similar to the Vector when at its maximum setting.

For the time being, I am happy with the Vector scope and would buy another one if I had a use for it. The only "sort of" complaint I could have regarding it is that it is beefy. It is a heavy scope. Fortunately, my use for it is in the area of long distance bench rest so that isn't a problem.

I will say if you don't have or don't feel you have, the need for a scope over the 24x of the Vortex Diamondback Tactical, then I would suggest that over the Vector since the Vector is almost twice the cost of the Vortex.

I'll be interested in seeing what the yt "experts" have to say about the Vector Optics Continental.

Thanks for your feedback. I am too looking for more of a 30x scope that is FFP with 10 yards parallax. I do not want a SFP and when I look at scopes going to 30x and having the 10 yard parallax they often are not only more expensive but even heavier. I know the Discovery has a 5-30x56 FFP but that is 3.2 oz heavier and the others I have found were all much more expensive. It would be great to see someone do a side by side review of the many 5-30x56FFP to see how this scope compares. I do not want to go down to 24x nor SFP so many of the other recommended scopes are SFP and are 24x or lower. It sounds like the scope has met your goals and for me I am looking for mostly the same key points that you are so it looks like a good contender...

It would be great to see someone do a side by side review of the many 5-30x56FFP.

Well, I don't have any of these scopes (yet.... 😄) — so..., I can't try them out side-by-side.

But I do have the specs side-by-side for comparison. 👍🏼

Matthias

❌ Attachment: Scope Specs Table 5-30x

download.png
View attachment 1597777099_17124090275f3c24cbc29646.35870267.pdf

The specs don't show how CRYSTAL CLEAR (OR NOT!!!) They are really like zoomed all the way at maximum 30X power.

Could be just like the $649 MTC VIPER PRO 5-30x50 how horrible that one really is for an example when magnification goes past 20x.

Yo,

Too bad someone does not sponsor you so you could do scope reviews like Consumer Reports. There are a decent amount of 27-30x FFP scopes but no review of all of them side by side. I appreciate your views and recommendations. I am still not sure 100% what scope I want, I know I want a 10 yard parallax, FFP, and 27-30X. It sounds from 30harry that the 34mm Continental is a pretty good scope so I guess worst case is that I over payed as there can always be a potentially cheaper scope but right now it is so hard to tell? 

The markup on Chinese made scopes are simply mind blowing. Vector used to be affordable compared to right now.

Even Aliexpress wised up and charge overinflated retail now. They re really making a killing.

I can't be sponsored otherwise I would be forced to ONLY post good reviews no matter how crappy they really are.

It would be great to see someone do a side by side review of the many 5-30x56FFP.

Well, I don't have any of these scopes (yet.... 😄) — so..., I can't try them out side-by-side.

But I do have the specs side-by-side for comparison. 👍🏼

Matthias

❌ Attachment: Scope Specs Table 5-30x

download.png
View attachment 1597777099_17124090275f3c24cbc29646.35870267.pdf

JungleShooter,

That is a great scope spreadsheet! I still wish there was someone whom would do a review for this category of scopes. The only other scopes I have seen that have these specifications of going down to 10 yard range is the Nightforce or Ritron and I am sure there are some others but those are all more like $2k to 3K+ scopes :( All of the other 5-30x FFP scopes are only long range with parallax of 25 yards and higher.

Yeah, 2-3k isn't going to happen in my context....! 😄

But for me $300 to 500 seems to cover pretty adequately what I'm looking for in a scope. Reading about the scope selection and quality available just 10-15 years ago that amount probably wouldn't have been enough!

And not being a "glass snob" like some describe themselves on the forums helps a lot. 😄 Vignetting, chromatic aberration, fuzzy edges, all that stuff a true glass snob suffers excruciating visual pain from — to me, not a big deal.

(Of course, I have issues, too 🤦🏻‍♂️ — just different issues than a glass snob....)

Matthias

Just adding a quick update on my Vector Continental scope. I am still waiting for my FX Continuum to arrive and that is when I will really get to hammering the vector but so far I have not found anything I don't like about it. As I said before I have never looked through a March or Nightforce or any of the real high dollar scopes so I can't say it is better than so and so but it is the best I have looked through so far. The view on the highest setting looks perfect to me. And I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I had the need.

I was hoping I would get the Continuum early enough to participate in the "E" EBR competition that is going on now but we'll see.

Good to hear it's crystal clear all the way to 30x. I may even have to buy one. Seriously I only buy scopes that are clear at max power and return the rest. Probably buy both the 30mm and 34mm. Thanks for the recommendation!

I have those other scopes mentioned too and some real cheapies that seem to hold their own rather well at their highest magnification. We shall see...

Good to hear it's crystal clear all the way to 30x. I may even have to buy one. Seriously I only buy scopes that are clear at max power and return the rest. Probably buy both the 30mm and 34mm. Thanks for the recommendation!

I have those other scopes mentioned too and some real cheapies that seem to hold their own rather well at their highest magnification. We shall see...

Keep in mind this is just one man's opinion. My crystal clear might be a "glass snobs" muddy water. 😀. But even so, I don't think there is any way I would ever see enough difference in quality to make me spend $3-4k on a March.

Let us know what you think if you get them.