• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

varying magnification scope vs. actual use???

Some folks like fix mag, some like varying in: 4-15, 6-20, 8-30 etc. I find that on my varied power (4-14) I tend to just leave it at the higher end (10-14). My current scope, Athlon Talos BTR $300 is the most expensive scope I have ever bought. It is really nice and full of features for a great price. But reality is that I really don't use/need everything. Currently I'm looking at getting a fix power Leopuld FX3 12x magnification and AO with a Mildot. It is simple and has everything I want/need.

Realistically what do y'all really use on your full featured scopes?

I usually use lower power settings for glassing trees when I am looking for a squirrel. Lower power settings are good for observation. So suppose you were shooting over a field full of ground squirrels or chipmunks, the lower setting would allow you to acquire your targets more easily and the higher power would let you then make a more precise shot. Typically a fixed power scope will fall in the mid-range of available choices because it has to do dual duty.

If I were going with a fixed power air rifle scope for hunting squirrels in the eastern woodlands I'd be looking at a fixed 6x high quality wide field optic with a mil reticle and 1/10 mil adjustments. Probably just me though.

For my Crosman 160 .22, the Weaver V22-A 3-6 will be fine for the ranges it operates in. The Winchester 1400CS, being good to 100yds or so, should find the 3-9x32 quite useful in varying ranges up to 100 yds. The lower settings on the Weaver/160 should be good in the woods here in OH. Besides target shooting, so the different mag settings will definitely be useful, in my opinion.

Above approx 8x mag doesn't sound like real Hunting and it implies a lack of bushcraft (IMO).

Sorry to sound grim about this but If you really need your target to be (let's say) 10 times larger to shoot at it - should you really be shooting at it?

Above 8x is not really Hunting because the vastly diminished Field of View will not allow you to see the 'whole scene or picture' (ie where the critter is in relation to other animals/backstop etc etc). If it is a Rabbit sized 'target' then below approx 30 yards you will would only see parts of the animal and therefore be unable to judge it's possible movements correctly for a safe shot. Find your Target using a lower power then zoom-in somewhat, is (I believe) the intention of variable mag scopes.

Bushcraft is the ability to work yourself closer to the Target animal, judge it's likely movements, then place a clean and humane shot.

If the Target species or the domain dont allow you to get close enough for that USING AN AIRGUN,

Don't use an Airgun for that purpose.

I've started using 4x for everything recently. If the glass is reasonable, you can see at any range an air gun can be accurate at and there are far fewer parallax or focus issues so my target doesn't get away while I'm messing around with dials. I literally don't touch the AO or power dials on my clearidge anymore. I just point and shoot using the mil dots to compensate for the drop at various distances. 

I think it comes down to personal preference, I like a fixed mag. scope because they are generally lighter and clearer at a lower price point. You don't have to worry about missing a shot because you did not have it set perfectly on the mag. that the reticle is calibrated for. IMO the 10x SWFA with the Mil-Quad reticle is the best scope for an airgun at the moment, lots of mil-dots for hold over shooting and the most accurate tracking I have ever seen in a scope under $1800.