Varmint Cong

Yep…VC. Ol’ Victor Charlie. Or, in the words of the world-renowned varmint hunter Carl Spackler, Varmint Cong.

I wish I had a really interesting story about this one. You know…”I had the wind in my face and if I kept to the shadows…” followed by my all-time favorite gun writer line, “I was 700 yards away…there was no way I could get any closer”.

But I don’t.

What really happened was I was out re-zeroing my Sniper Sahara when the Minister of ASA (All Sexual Activities) walked up and stated:

1. There is a gopher in the backyard that keeps sticking his head up.

2. I was to cease and desist with whatever I was doing and go kill the little burrowing bastard.

I had VC in the wire.

And so I set-up the Sahara and the Bog Pod on my back porch and began my vigil. After a nerve-wracking wait of 3 or so minutes, ol’ Victor Charlie presented himself. After taking into account the atmospheric conditions and the distance (10 yards), I put an end to his yard-marauding ways.

IMG_4242.jpeg

What’s kind of funny is that the Minister, via a bird feeder, has turned the backyard into her own personal Audubon Society. See picture of the Band-Tailed Pigeons below. Note the feeder hanging from the tree.

IMG_4241.jpeg

And as said Band-Tails have the table manners of a hyena, they throw bird seed ALL OVER the place. And Victor Charlie figger’d this out and would rise from the tunnels of Cu Chi and absolutely dine-out on bird seed. I know this because I MISSED him from 10 f@$!ing yards a couple days prior (the whole hold over/under thing confused my simpleton mind and I threw dirt all over him).

I love whacking ground squirrels, but taking out a gopher warms the sub-cockles of my heart.

The Brocock Reign of Terror continues…

Justin

PS: For those who don’t get the Varmint Cong/Carl Spackler references, here you go…

IMG_4247.jpeg

Nice shooting.
I like those band tails as Tango Oscar too.
There’s a hunting season on band tailed pigeons and I’ve heard they're both good and bad eatin’.
Maybe like sage grouse the older ones are just tough?
I think I‘ll knock a couple down out in the pasture by the water trough and cook them up and find out.
If they’re anything like dove it would be worth it to make pellet rifle targets out of a few every now and then.