• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Variations in speed of sound.

I have an fx maverick .25 that I tuned to shoot nsa 34.9s at 1050 fps. Last night we had an extrem cold front sweep through and the temperature dropped to around 0 for most of the day today. Today I took the maverick out for a couple shots and noticed that it sounded like it had a slight sonic crack sound. I wasn’t happy with that so I backed the power wheel off and it went away.
This made me curious and I did some research online and found that at zero degrees the speed of sound is right at 1050 fps. At 91 degrees (typical summer temperatures for our area) it’s 100 fps faster at 1150 fps. At 32 degrees its 1086 fps.
So if your wanting to get close to, but not break the speed of sound keep this in mind.

Reactions: Ricochet
I have an fx maverick .25 that I tuned to shoot nsa 34.9s at 1050 fps. Last night we had an extrem cold front sweep through and the temperature dropped to around 0 for most of the day today. Today I took the maverick out for a couple shots and noticed that it sounded like it had a slight sonic crack sound. I wasn’t happy with that so I backed the power wheel off and it went away.
This made me curious and I did some research online and found that at zero degrees the speed of sound is right at 1050 fps. At 91 degrees (typical summer temperatures for our area) it’s 100 fps faster at 1150 fps. At 32 degrees its 1086 fps.
So if your wanting to get close to, but not break the speed of sound keep this in mind.
this is why most reputable .22 LR match ammo is built for roughly 1040 to 1060 fps.

Reactions: Nattboy