• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Vanguard Quest BiPod/TriPod for Field Target use

I'm looking to get my first bipod for Hunter Field Target comps and I'm considering the Vanguard Quest T62U.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LZNOKG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It's a tripod that allows 1 leg to be removed for use a bipod. It's also a tall version but the specs say it goes as low as 27" which seems fine to me. This configuration would let me use it for many other things when I'm not using it for Field Target. Has anyone tried using this model for Field Target and was it acceptable?

Guys, thanks for your responses. My plan is to remove the 3rd leg before even arriving at a Hunter Field Target event and only use it as a bipod. I can't imagine any meet director would say, "No you can't use that bipod because I know you removed one of it's legs!". But I am new to this so maybe I'm imaging wrong.,,

This design would be useful to me because when I'm not at Field Target comp I can use it as a tripod for other things like hunting, or removing the yoke and mounting my chronograph on it, or as a camera mount. 

What I'm wondering is, have any of you used the Vanguard Quest T62U in it's bipod configuration for Hunter Field Target, and did you like it, or was it too tall? Or has anyone used the Vanguard Quest B62 (which is essentially the same pod once you have removed the 3rd leg from the T62U) and how did you like it?

I have one and really like it but only uses in the tripod config but I will probably use in FT at some point. It's a nice use but the real issue is would holding the tripod and balancing on it really be any better that using a traditional FT shooting position and a hamster on your stock. I am not so sure it would be. 

I have one and really like it but only uses in the tripod config but I will probably use in FT at some point. It's a nice use but the real issue is would holding the tripod and balancing on it really be any better that using a traditional FT shooting position and a hamster on your stock. I am not so sure it would be.

Napair, I can't quite grasp what you're saying. You have one and really like using it in it's tripod configuration but your wondering if in real world use it is any better than using it in it's bipod configuration. Have you tried removing the third leg and using it as a bipod to see which is better? And what is a hamster?

A bipod rested gun is more stable. Fewer points of contact with th body. If you can sit low with short sticks stability is even better.

MRA_Field_Target, are you saying that a bipod rested gun is more stable than a tripod rested gun?

In addition to wanting to use this in it's bipod configuration for Field Target comps, I have a real world use case where I have to shoot standing up. I assumed that a tripod would provide a more stable platform than a bipod, is that not true?