• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Value on a motorhead tuned hw50s

I have my motorhead tuned hw50s in 177 I'm considering rehoming

It has a few light marks
20210619_104534.1624117598.jpg
from the field but hasn't shot more than a couple hundred pellets total. Most since the tune.

It currently has a brand new Hawke airmax 4-12x on it with mounts that came with if. 

What would you price the package at? 

I hate to let it go but it's just not being used much as I tend to pick up my pcps for their quietness. This thing is a tack driver for sure

Well, my thoughts in no particular order.....

Gun sells new for $350. A tune is usually around $100. The scope, eh, might as well take it off and lower the price and shipping cost.
Besides, it's worth over half the value of the gun.

$400 shipped sounds about right. $500 with the scope.

If it wasn't such a tiny gun, I'd offer a tuned R9 in trade.

I know Scott "Motorhead" from another forum on air rifles and such. He worked it and made it better for the customer.

The value would go just about anywhere depending upon who wants to own a Motorhead Tuned rifle. 

Those who offer a price compatible with current sales of a New one without work on it have a point. I'm in that crowd with all of my air rifles except for one D54 .20 made by Hector Jose Gomez Medina who has made custom built .20s with Lothar Walther .20 drilled barrels installed into a brand new D54 receiver (the factory one is just a barrel without any modification) and a long muzzle device that actually works "more" to reduce turbulence than sound. The reduction of turbulence by a side springer on "rails" inside a stock makes all vibration disappear and recoil meaningless for the shooter.

I cannot design this type of rifle myself but I trusted Hector Medina to "do it" without any question because HE HAD DONE IT BEFORE MANY TIMES!

And he is a professional airgunsmith at Diana.

In HW I have all natural rifles and springs still inside from the factory box and see no need to "work" on a brand new HW. The first thing HWs need to do is shoot pellets and establish an open sighted zero at 15 or so yards and then decide about scopes and systems to prevent the scope from breaking depending upon the vibration the HW releases throughout the scope attached.

I have a vortexed .177 HW30 serial number 1892584 given to me in a trade with BIGGER rifles as a "polish off to the final deal" and I took it in. He also gave me the ORIGINAL mainspring taken out by the "vortexer" of the rifle whose name I can look up again if I want to but in reality I had many other HW30s and R7s and I GAVE them away.

But NOT this rifle. It is always accurate for short range with the .177 pellet around 20 yards. I guess that is the "ideal" range and R7 is needed for me.

But when getting serious about shooting over and over with over 100 pellets or 1000 pellets at a "standing" position every time I favor the HW98 .177 with Kaiser Rangemaster 8.64gr pellets 500 to a tin. I asked AOA to SIGHT the HW98 in with the HAWKE 4-12X 40mm scope and when it arrived they use Sports Match rings and mounts in a two piece set up and a stud in the rear base to "lock" the rings in to the rifle.

To this day this HW98 .177 using Kaiser Rangemaster 8.64gr pellets ALWAYS ALWAYS shoots to point of aim at 25 yards. One shot "one kill" is what this HW98 .177 does, and it is NOT the "old" style but the new style with the removable muzzle device.

Tuning is refined but often when a tune is thought to be needed the thought should be reserved for another day AFTER shooting 500 rounds or a thousand or two thousand rounds from the dependable and remarkable HW mechanism.

I can see why a Diana could use professional tuning but to me all HW rifles brand new and used are already perfect.

This is the balance beam air rifle shooters decide to navigate: to not wake a sleeping dog or find a tune to make things become wild!

I am poking humor at this but I don't even believe in cleaning out an air rifle's barrel. My way of cleaning an air rifle bore is to switch pellets or keep shooting until the rifle settles in. 

I will not alter any air rifle and never did. And all of them are working fine for me!

Kindly,

Makes me wonder why there I've never seen an airgun that didn't "need" a tune-job. Particularly break-barrels.

(Does ANYONE make a b-barrel that doesn't require an upgrade to be proper?)

I mean, you can make a Ford Pinto as awesome as a 'vette if you throw enough money at it.

You dissing my Pinto? You gonna diss my two speed Vega next?? :)

Makes me wonder why there I've never seen an airgun that didn't "need" a tune-job. Particularly break-barrels.

I mean, you can make a Ford Pinto as awesome as a 'vette if you throw enough money at it.

I wonder about the same thing. I have two HW95s that I shoot. Neither one has been tuned or modified in any way and they both shoot supurb. If you pay out the big bucks for a high end air rifle you should not have to spend more money changing out parts.

It's the budget guns that would benefit most from a proper tune.

I wonder about the same thing. I have two HW95s that I shoot. Neither one has been tuned or modified in any way and they both shoot supurb. If you pay out the big bucks for a high end air rifle you should not have to spend more money changing out parts.

It's the budget guns that would benefit most from a proper tune.

The HW95 and the HW50 are not the same when it comes to tuning versus stock. . Of all the HW lineup the HW50 needs a tune the most. Followed by the HW80. 

None of mine have NEEDED a tune. All of mine have performed well out of the box. Even my "twangy" ones have shot very well. Exception is one CHEAPO breakbarrel I gave to my son. Started as a good shooter and after 1,000 rounds became a can plinker at 20.

I own one tuned gun. Reason is it was a xisico "knock off" and I wanted to use it as my PR iguana gun and I figured I'd try to milk the best out of it with trigger work, and full tune, etc. I don't know if it helped because I never shot it PRIOR to the tune...but it is a tack driver at 20 yards.

Out of my twelve R1's just one needed a tune but was still quite useable. Might be a case of your personal experience rather than broad fact. I know of several other R1 owners who also enjoyed their rifles from out of the box and for years after that. Conversely all 3 of my R9's needed some tweaking to get where they were enjoyable for me.

While I don't question the potential value of a tune up to the individual paying for it I am not sure what if any resale value it adds. I have never seen any aftermarket work done on virtually any item hold up in resale. It might add something to the price but rarely any where near the initial investment.

Add on accessories such as scopes and mounts will contribute more to resale IMHO.

As I said tuneups and mods contribute to what the person requesting the mods gets out of it and that value can and should be significant. But I don't believe you can expect to get your money back.

I have rifles at three different levels of "tune". I have a box stock HW30 that is as smooth and quiet and accurate as you could ask for. I have a D34 that I tuned with an ARH kit several years ago. It too is smooth and quiet but not quite as accurate in my hands as the HW30 but it is pretty close.

And finally I have a D280 that was built for me by Hector Medina that is an absolute dream for me to shoot and a real tack driver. It cost me a good bit more than a D280 would ordinarily sell for. It is worth every penny to me. But someone else may not like the modest power or the way the trigger is tuned. It has a long first stage with a very light (8oz), crisp second stage.

Enjoy your guns based on whatever makes you happy but don't expect to get all your money back.

I think we all have points to be made but my own that I want to keep preaching is if you trust the smith with your rifle the rifle will come back better than it was.

The process of "altering" a rifle with or without its original parts, in the first place, is customization and how much it is worth to another buyer when you want to sell it.

I remember a newscast where "nothing" was pictured as "something" drawing around a billion dollars for some buyer that wanted "nothing" and bought it.

Somewhere the artistry of designing or redesigning a produce item goes from substantial to "nothing" or maybe, worse, a lemon instead of nothing.

I personally would not buy a D54 .20 from anyone wanting to unload it since only 30 were made and I'd be wondering more about why the seller is willing to part with a tuned rifle beyond the original parts.

I have both. I have a "vortexed" .177 HW30 that replaced ALL my newer R7s and HW30s with brand new or new a year or a decade ago still operating without malfunction.

I won't buy another D54 .20 simply because the one I have isn't replaceable by any strain of thought. It was tuned to me for the heavy .20 JSB pellet that comes 500 per tin. It always shoots where I point it.

That gun was tuned to do it. I won't sell it because it means too much to me in the world of air rifles. I ask the question why sell a Motorhead tuned air rifle?

Kindly,

I have had several rifles tuned by Motorhead...all of them came back as different rifles...all much for the better.

But does a tune increase value? I've never sold one of my rifles, and I've only bought one used rifle. For me, a tune increases 'curb appeal'...not necessarily value. When I bought the used rifle, which had been allegedly tuned...and I now believe it had been tuned...it didn't add a dollar of value. I bought it for what I believed the rifle to be worth. 

But that's just me.