UTG True Target vs UTG AccuShot SWAT for bench rest and field target?

Hi Guys,

Brand new to air gunning. I've ordered a Bejamin Marauder Field and Target .177 with a Lothar-Walther barrel, which will arrive in a couple weeks. I'm wanting to compete in bench rest and field target.

For a scope, I'm torn between these two:

UTG True hunter - https://www.pyramydair.com/product/6-24x50-ao-true-hunter-rifle-scope-ez-tap-ill-mil-dot-reticle-1-4-moa?a=5034

UTG AccuShot SWAT - https://www.pyramydair.com/product/utg-4-16x44-ao-swat-accushot-rifle-scope-ez-tap-illuminated-mil-dot?a=3900

I'm really ignorant about scopes but in my limited knowledge the True Hunter seems like a better scope. However, the True Hunter's parallax adjuster is on the objective end of the scope so not very adjustable for field target. Alternatively, the SWAT scope has side parallax adjustment and I can install a side wheel on it.

What are your thoughts about these two? Also interested in other suggestions in the low $200 range?

Todd

i dont like utg clarity and reticles too much but theyre decently built scopes .. my opinion is westhunter scopes are the best deal on the market right now and ive put them on 'all' of the guns i use regularly .. the 4-16ffp edges out their 6-24 in practical use because of physical size and the eyebox is slightly better, if you dont need that little extra magnification, its better on the bench, but i think ft rules limit your mag anyway .... if i was competing in multiple arenas id have both ... theres some rings on amazon ive found that are really great for these scopes, quick release etc, just 'dont' overtighten them - Hiram medium 30mm

https://www.amazon.com/HIRAM-Picatinny-Weaver-Detach-Diameter/dp/B08RDLFSS1/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=3P05DZOTJ6N44&keywords=hiram%2Bmedium%2B30mm&qid=1653467799&sprefix=hiram%2Bmedium%2B30mm%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

best deals on westhunter are on ebay ... you can get various accessory 'levels' with them including sidewheel and rings, their 'dualbolt' rings for pic rail are pretty nice but take alot of picrail to utilize well like on a bullpup with long rail, the hiram rings will be better on an mrod

For a first scope, I would recommend spending a little more money and look at a Hawke, Athlos or Optisan. Sight picture, clarity, turrets and Adjustable Objective will all be much better than UTG.

My favorite scope is the Optisan CP 3-12x32 scope, I have three of them. I also have four Hawke scopes. The two UTG scopes I purchased were not desirable. They sit on my shelf.

A friend of mine often says, "If you buy a $1000 rifle and put a $200 scope on it, you end up with a $200 rifle." While that may be a little extreme, the more I am into this sport, the more wisdom I find in that little saying. If you can spend a little more and pick up an Athlon or similar you'll be happier with it six months from now. That said, you can certainly make-do with the $200 scope if necessary.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I've been spending most of the day researching scopes. Thinking about the Athlon Talos: Athlon Optics 6-24x50 Talos, Ill. ATMR1 MIL Reticle, 0.1 MIL, 1" Tube

Couple more questions (and pardon my ignorance)????

-- c_m_shooter - Can you clarify what you mean by "front focus scope"? Is that what the True Hunter scope has, "adjustable objective? If so, how does that work for finding range to target?

-- Also, I'm trying to wrap my head around, "Some FT shooters like to "click" while others prefer using "holdovers"". My understanding is that to use holdovers you need to know the actual size of the object you're trying to find the range for. I must be missing something because the FT targets aren't standardized sizes, are they?

Todd

If you intend to compete in either FT or BR, you will soon find out that these scopes have something to be desired. For BR, a scope with fine cross hairs or target dot is desirable. If you're on a budget, the Mueller 8-32X44 target dot will work well for $250. For FT, a scope that ranges accurately is imperative. Many, including some big bucks scopes, don't range worth a crap. Look at the equipment lists on the match reports and see what folks are using.