UTG quality

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade .....Think quality like a Fireworks Stand . That's what's up .

😂 Yeah, not all that great .....but their warranty and service is good. I've tested it 4 times, and in all my experiences they replaced them pronto with no BS whatsoever.

They are ok for the money IMO unless you're a fully feathered scope snob like ol'Cyclops up there 😄

If (like me) you have never owned truly fine glass, then you might very well be happy with UTG. For God's sake though......steer clear of the illuminated reticles because that truly is gay (in a no-lube kinda way) and they need for people to stop buying those so they'll QUIT IT !

What's gay about IR?

Other than the cost and weight penalty I find them useful even in the daytime but more so when its dark. With IR you can better see where the crosshairs with a black or dark target. For night shooting they work great in conjunction with a red or green LED light. If you never shoot under these conditions then IR doesn't have any value. I will admit IR on cheaper scopes may have uneven brightness, flare, blooming...

What's gay about IR?

Other than the cost and weight penalty I find them useful even in the daytime but more so when its dark. With IR you can better see where the crosshairs with a black or dark target. For night shooting they work great in conjunction with a red or green LED light. If you never shoot under these conditions then IR doesn't have any value. I will admit IR on cheaper scopes may have uneven brightness, flare, blooming...

Well.....the crosshairs on UTG scopes are pretty thick and bold. I'm thinking that if you can't see them then it's way past your dinner time and you need to clean your squirrels and go home.

😊

I would never buy a UTG scope.

My pooptest scope is a NcStar with IR it sucks!

A Hawke sport HD with IR useable but the IR is uneven and can be distracting in the dark but better than without.

A Sighton S3 where the IR is just a dot this works great daytime or night time.

A older version Nightforce NSX the IR when adjusted proper works great but the adjustment is a PITA and too sensitive.

I find cheaper scope cause eye strain because they are never that clear and sharp so I suspect my eyes are always trying to focus on something that can't be made clear. The Sighton and Nightforce are more comfortable to use the others are not. The 2 cheaper scopes I would never trust the turrets to click correctly and they probably has a lot of play and zooming them would likely change the aimpoint.

Sometimes you get what you pay for and you never get more than you pay for.

The bugbuster is a great little scope, original with a wire illuminated red/green reticle and front AO focusing 3-9 power. The newer model is 3-12 side focus etched non illuminated both are about 10 oz and 10 inches long The FFP DIscovery is a 30 mm tube and about 18 oz. For myself as a walk and off hand shooter it works for me. Close up night time ratting the illuminated model is a favorite when used with a variety of lighting.

ILLUMINATED reticles: GOOD

THIRTY SIX COLORS: BAD

The el-cheapo scopes have horrific reticles much of the time. They are not only annoying but a hindrance. Then makers up the wonky-factor with more colors than a Mardi Gras parade.

I use IR reticles, on an Athlon Midas and Ares and before that a MTC Genesis. I hunt at odd hours. Even in daylight it has helped when the critter is shadowed into a bush or tree.

And to answer your question, no way would I get a UTG scope. Or Leapers if that helps. That $50 is better spent on steel mount/rings. If a scope is good you won't need to send it back 4 times.

I also use the bug buster. The older IR model. Works great with the use of a red led light with the green IR for night time pesting Pick off those pigeons roosting in the rafters as they dream of pooping on your windshield. I kept one on a nitro piston gun that lived in my wheelin rig. Kept its zero even with all that banging around. It took a pretty big spill to finally due in that little bugger. Came off the hood landed scope first on some rocks bent the front bell, but I wouldn't expect a $3,000 scope to survive that nasty fall... I've never had a problem with the rings coming loose, but I use blue thread locker. 

36 colors is to much, just need red and green. Having a IR for shooting black cats is the best!!!

I recently purchased a UTG scope from PA on the strength of one of their salesmens high recommendation. As soon as I unboxed it I was alarmed at what a pos it was. Just looking through the body with it placed on a small torpedo level I could see the reticle was a hair off of 90. I also thought the turrets moved like mush. So I promptly returned it to PA as a defective unit.

Obviously PA did not agree with me on the defect because dispite their advertised 30 day satisfaction money back guarantee they refunded a lesser portion of my original cost. Live and learn. Ouch!

It's too bad because you know some poor sucker is going to end up with that scope when they resell it again. UTG= not for me!

I know..this,you get what you pay for. UTG are a better "cheap" scope and rings.....Some models are better than others....you will get more positives than negatives....Remember,keeping the distance and power down will keep the flaws down....

Another thing I have observed;Price point!..a lot of guys have more donero to spent, so do so on a better quality scope...UTG scopes and equipment is my price cut off for a inexpensive scopes....thus good enough for what I am asking for at their price point....the Bug Buster,which I have .has a limited range of uses for me....they are short,which can be great for some applications,not so great for others.

I put a Bug Buster 3x9x32 on my Daisy 880. It works so far & keeps the weight down. Would I put one on a decent gun, very unlikely. I thought it amusing that I paid more for the Bug Buster than I did for the 880. It's a good, close range, plinking and rats around the chicken coop combo. It's certainly much better than one of those $10 Walmart bb gun scopes.

Well, I bought a 3-9X32 Bugbuster with IR a week or so ago. Although I highly respect Joe Wayne's opinions, I've found that in order to develop my own opinions in life, I've generally gotta develop my own experiences! I bought it for my pesky new HW57 (with its own issues), and I found rather than a thick reticle, it's the thinnest I've ever seen! In fact, if anything, its almost TOO thin!!! It doesn't have the gazillion color IR, only red and green...unless I'm missing something.

So far, I really like this scope! I like the price point, I like the way it works, everything! But, ya gotta understand something about me...I don't require a lot out of a scope! I started shooting rifles with my family in the early sixties, we were able to hit what we shot at out to 300 yards with center fires, that's all I need. I don't need to see the veins in a gnat's wing at 25 yards with a scope. For me its simple...POA=POI. 

So far with only a couple of hundred pellets to its credit, my Bugbuster does that. I'll buy more. But...I'll be cautious and cognizant of the advice of Mr. Rhea and others here, trust me on that!

I have NightForce, Bushnell, and Nikon high dollar scopes. I also have several UTG scopes, 2 for pistols. They all are clear enough and hold zero fine. I don't click to shoot with them but I bet others have done so successfully. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if the price fit my needs. One's own experiences with most things is usually invaluable.

ILLUMINATED reticles: GOOD

THIRTY SIX COLORS: BAD

The el-cheapo scopes have horrific reticles much of the time. They are not only annoying but a hindrance. Then makers up the wonky-factor with more colors than a Mardi Gras parade.

I use IR reticles, on an Athlon Midas and Ares and before that a MTC Genesis. I hunt at odd hours. Even in daylight it has helped when the critter is shadowed into a bush or tree.

And to answer your question, no way would I get a UTG scope. Or Leapers if that helps. That $50 is better spent on steel mount/rings. If a scope is good you won't need to send it back 4 times.

Totally agree.

Here's the thing though...... There is such a thing as really FUN 90.00 air rifles that need a scope. And who the phuck wants to spend 178.93 to 264.79 on a scope for it ?

Awhile back I was able to buy a Benjamin Prowler for 69.00 when Walmart was clearing them out. Great gun! And with the UTG 3-9X32AO it is my most powerful and most accurate break barrel. All for under 200 bones.