• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Utah Airguns recent purchase

An old quail hunter once advised me on how to handle a brand-new side-by-side Eibargun shotgun, with fancy wood I had bought from Spain. He said the first thing you need to do to really enjoy that fine piece is toss it into a thorn thicket and scratch up that stock. Now, pick it up and go hunting. You won't worry one bit about that stock from now on. Same advice might hold true here.

View attachment 333520

Difference is choosing to make the first marks on your new gun, vs a retailer thoughtlessly scratching up a new gun.

Man, that sucks to hear. I used to live quite close to UA. I went in there several times and each time came away with the impression that there was an "in" club. Not that they ever treated me poorly when talking, but I always felt like I was being an annoyance.

I ended up purchasing a .177 Taipan Veteran short. After unboxing it and putting a couple hundred shots downrange, it was clear it was not shooting with the accuracy expected of a Taipan. Over the course of the next couple weeks, I took the gun into UA a couple times, explaining that I felt the gun wasn't shooting up to snuff. Each time I got told things such as ".177 won't shoot as accurately as .22/.25 cause the pellets are smaller" and "3/4" groups at 20 yards are within spec for a Taipan".

One of the times I was in there shooting on their range, trying to work out the Veteran's issues, I noticed someone a couple benches down was getting the VIP treatment. This was right after I was told that .177 won't shoot as accurately as .22/.25, so I quietly observed while shooting. What I deducted from the conversation was that one of the guys getting the VIP treatment was one of the NBA players from the nearby Utah Jazz. (Tangentially, I'm a Utah Jazz fan and was familiar with this player. I won't name the player because it has no relevance to the situation) It was my understanding that he was looking to purchase a few custom guns for himself and some friends. It was *very* clear that he was in the "in" club. And I get it, a millionaire vs some random like me. But it definitely cemented my feeling that my concerns with the gun they sold me were being brushed off because it was "only" a $1500 non-FX gun.

I ended up selling the gun, taking a large loss on it because I honestly disclosed the accuracy issues. The new owner was able to identify that it has a leaky regulator and it shot tiny groups as expected after repair.

It feels like you have to spend thousands upon thousands on one of their custom cerakote FX models to buy your way into the elite or something. It's very unfortunate, because UA has close ties to FX and the well known FX influencers. My experience with UA has left a bad taste in my mouth for FX, and I wonder what FX would think about that. Probably nothing since my one potential sale means nothing in the grand scheme.
Just another reason that deters me from ever buying an FX, already did not like UA after how i was treated on a previous purchase.

Hello everyone,

An update to this thread. I sent Utah Airguns an email requesting a return shipping label and a full refund. I received a label and shipped the Katran back to them yesterday. I hope this will be the resolve to this issue.

I would also like to say how proud I am to be a part of this group of airgunners. Obviously a bunch of down to earth people with high moral standards and a good sense for fairness. Thank you for the kind words and support it was the major contributing factor in my decision.

ThomasT

UthaAirguns called. There is an email issue. Several emails did not come thru from them. The issue is all sorted out. The manager felt really bad about the communication glitch. UthaAirguns is one of the few businesses left that prefer phone communications. Good for them. I feel bad about getting impatient with them now. With the majority of business discouraging phone communications, I had all but given up on that format.

I've noticed a shift in a few things with UA. It's hit or miss on the phone if they are rude or not. Also, in the last few months, getting orders out has slowed to a crawl.
Place an order for items in stock and it takes DAYS to process and ship out. In the past it was the next day at the most for most items. Now....who knows when they will ship.
I've started dealing more and more with other dealers now.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
When I got back into PCP air guns.
Utah was one of the calls I made to make some purchase. They were rude to me.
Sorry I haven’t shot PCP in at least a decade and lots of things advanced.
Needles to say I try not to purchase from them. Only way is I really need it. .20 cal ammo for example.
Thanks for posting this. Though maybe I got someone on a bad day. Aloha I hope they resolve your problem.

I just ordered a 30 cal barrel for my dream tact from UA. When I received it, I checked it to make sure it was the right length, that the pellet probe was included,and what the transfer port looked like.
I noticed that the brass piece with the transfer port in it wasn't completely screwed onto the other part of the barrel assembly. It has enough play that the o-ring actually has more than a couple mm of slack between the two assembly pieces. The o-ring is just loose and slides around between them.
I thought," I wonder what happened here?
As I checked further I noticed that this Barrel didn't have the pellet and slug transfer port openings as did the other barrels I have purchased for my dream tact!
I find it hard to believe that FX's quality control wouldn't have noticed the space between the barrel assembly pieces. I'm pretty sure they would have seen that the o-ring was just sliding around, back and forth, loosely.
That,coupled with the fact that there weren't two transfer ports, one for pellets and the other for slugs made me think that someone had robbed the correct transfer port assembly piece and substituted the older version.
I may be totally wrong, but something just doesn't seem right.
If I am right and these things keep happening, like with Thomas's gun and more than likely my barrel,it will catch up to them.
I too get the impression that if you aren't spending major money they aren't too concerned about the service they give.
What gets in my craw is the fact that 1500-2000$ is a LOT of damned money for a LOT of people.
I think everyone should be treated with the same respect no matter how much money they spend. They damned sure deserve the best service considering how expensive these toys are!