Tuning Utah Air hybrid tune

Utah Airguns is offering tuning! I read 50$ for there hybrid tune, has anyone gotten it that would share their experience? I’m curious what kind of accuracy they got? I have dabbled with the slugs a little but now that the superior liner is supposed to shoot lighter weight slugs I am getting more curious! Maybe where others have gotten their guns tuned will share their results too!

I did it just out of curiosity. With a bill of over $2,600 I figured what’s an extra 50 just to see what they’re selling. It was a very modest tune. Hybrid .25’s only going 880fps. I was going to call them not to flip out but to question their tuning process. But I didn’t . Both of my gauges were so wrong that I couldn’t pin any blame on them. I arrived at a great tune very far away from theirs. My advice is save the $50 and if you don’t know how to tune an Impact, or at least have a really good understanding of how to tune the gun, you shouldn’t be buying one. There is no way they are spending hours and possibly hundreds of slugs trying to get your gun operating on the right accuracy node. Pellet tune? Yes. Slug tune? Gimmick.

That $50 tune wouldn't last very long in my hands. I can't seem to leave well enough alone most of the time. All them adjusting knobs and screws just beg "turn me". My wife gives me hell when she gets back in her vehicle after I've been in it for a cruise. 

Jking

HEHE u and me both buddy :)

Never learned that " if it aint broke dont fix it"

Wow 880! Kinda defeats the purpose of slugs to me! I want fast and flat shooting! Isn’t that the point of slugs?

The utmost accuracy with any projectile should be the main point. Accuracy and speed is what I consider a blessing. They don’t always go hand in hand. I had an 825fps slug tune with one gun and a 775fps tune with another gun that was mind blowing accurate at 100yrds. Couldn’t even think of posting pics of the groups for fear of being run off the forum. But of course, I’m a guy and just couldn’t leave the guns there. Had to have more speed. After 3 million slugs fired plus some mods, I found accuracy and speed hiding from me at 955fps with the one gun. The other gun that wears a TJ slug barrel is back on pellets. I was at least smart enough to realize that a gun that shoots literally one hole at 50 and stays at an inch all the time at 100 with a 25gr pellet needs to be a pellet gun. Even if it’s wearing a slug barrel. You are better off adjusting for wind and elevation with a pellet that shoots 1” at 100 every day all the time than you are with a higher BC slug that you struggle to keep even close to an inch on a good day.

There isn't a huge difference in drop at 50 yards between 880 and 950 especially if the slugs BC is high. Pick a high BC slug would help you with flatter trajectory as suppose plain speed different of 60 fps. Plus with airguns any big game hunting is done at 30 yards range, if worried about penetration then go with round nosed hunting slugs. 

At 50 yards shooting 950fps my .25 slugs will have drop of 4.9 inches with 61 FPE left

At 50 yards shooting 880fps my .25 slugs will have drop of 5.6 inches with 53 FPE left

On bigger targets like a hog the difference from 60 fps muzzle velocity is relatively small. Granted .25 slugs aren't good enough for hogs for a lot of people so much bigger slugs with higher BC will have even smaller difference at close range. 

Regardless knowing how you tune your gun to shoot the ammo you need for specific application is part of owning airgun. Plus Hybrids should not ever be used on anything other than small varmints anyways, they are the vmax of the airgun world. 

We do need to be clear about one thing. There is absolutely nothing flat about any airguns trajectory. When guys say their gun shoots like a laser I always wonder who makes a laser with a beam that looks like a rainbow. When you shoot far with an airgun, even one shooting slugs what we consider fast, if you’re off by a couple yards on something like a groundhog, you just wounded it. That’s something the video guys will never show you. But it’s reality.

Nothing against Justine and the boys at UA. I met Justine face to face and he is a super nice guy. Justine let me setup my former Leshiy 2 using their range. However, I just see this as a way to sell expensive FX slugs. Tuning isn’t rocket science it is just a practice in patience to get it right.

Also, my honest opinion (just opinion not experience) there are better slug opinions out there for the money, IMHO.

We do need to be clear about one thing. There is absolutely nothing flat about any airguns trajectory. When guys say their gun shoots like a laser I always wonder who makes a laser with a beam that looks like a rainbow. When you shoot far with an airgun, even one shooting slugs what we consider fast, if you’re off by a couple yards on something like a groundhog, you just wounded it. That’s something the video guys will never show you. But it’s reality.

There was a post a little while back claiming about 400 yards groupings. I made a post commenting on how nice and ROUND the holes were in the target. Apparently nobody got what I was getting at... (shrug)

Don't get me wrong, the only thing I was questioning was the nearly perfect round holes in a target that was shot at from 400 yards.

Ha ha ha ha!!!! I love this comment. So true when I come from a 22-250 pushing 50 grain bullets at 4,006 FPS. No joke, that is a bit more like a "laser" and I use it for Coyote hunting. I have no real need for hold overs up to 400 yards. 

"Like a rainbow." Just so funny. Thank you. 

fire-the-laser-zedicy.1628973567.jpg