USPS - You Had One Job...

I’m still waiting for this package at of today😂. I think it’s lost...

1591850338_18423061085ee1b5624fb439.15951312.png

it may arrive later than expected... don’t think it’s going to arrive anymore 

Like most businesses, the USPS is under a lot of stress due to employees with Coronavirus, and increased volume due to so many people at home and ordering/shipping...

Too right, cmatera, USPS is no more immune to the chaos factor than any other organization. I don't hold them accountable for the longer delivery times on that account.

HOWEVER, the online shipping history shows the package having arrived in the Indianapolis sorting center and then inexplicably being routed back to Kansas. That raises red flags for me. Yeah, it must be like a shop full of one-armed paper-hangers in those centers right now so I'm not writing to my Congress-critter or anything. It just rankles when something comes so close and then gets snatched away through bumbling. Rant over.

USPS is really on my ship list.

Sent a package to my daughter in NYC. Important stuff needed for her hospital job. Sent it USPS priority mail with tracking and insurance. It was marked as "arrived" in about 10 days. Priority LOL. I ask my daughter if she had received the package. Nope. She checked with the front desk. Nada.

So, I called the USPS. dialog went something like..

ME: Hi I sent a package to my daughter. Your tracking shows it as delivered but she did not receive it.

USPS: We'll check and get back to you.

USPS: 2 days later..Our postal worker says they delivered the package to the front desk. It's been delivered.

ME: Well, my daughter checked with the front desk and they said they had not received anything for her.

USPS: Not our problem it's delivered.

ME: OK. Then I'd like to file a claim to collect the insurance on the value of the contents.

USPS: You can't it's been delivered. Once it's delivered you can't claim insurance.

ME: OK. Then I'd like to file a claim for theft of US Mail. Do I need to file a police report first? How do I proceed?

USPS: We'll check and get back to you.

USPS: One day later. We found the package. When the attempt was made to deliver, it was "refused".

ME: OK. So where is the package now? Will you attempt to deliver it again?

USPS: No. It's being sent back to you, it's already in transit.

ME: OK. Do I use the same tracking number to follow the package return?

USPS: Um. We'll check and get back to you.

< I get a text from my daughter..Hi Dad, thanks for the stuff! It came today and the front desk let me know! >

USPS: 1 Day later. Your package is on it's way back to you. You can use the same tracking number.

ME: OK. Thanks. Never mind. Sheesh!

OK, so you sent a package, and for the price you paid, the USPS delivered it to the address,, but someone refused it. So how is that the delivery services fault? No carrier attempts to re-deliver a refused package. Once it is delivered (albeit refused), it is returned) If my mailman brought back a package I refused, I’d ask him why when i told him I don’t want it. Sounds like the internal mail distribution at your daughter’s place of work needs to get it’s act together. Luckily, when you called they were able to locate the package pending it’s return to you and re-direct it back to her place of work to attempt redelivery. Here’s a thought for you, the USPS delivers in one day, what UPS delivers in a year.

When you send a package to a large company or building, you are dealing with 2 post offices. The USPS and the company/building post office. The USPS does not walk up to the front desk and they refuse the package and that's it. The USPS drops off sacks of mail by the truckload for distribution by the company/building post office. If the company/building post office is lacking employees due to a pandemic (NYC was ground zero) or is practicing social distancing, they may not return the package to the USPS as refused, for days. It is well known that many companies were refusing all personal packages due to coronavirus. I recently sent a package to the wrong company (my fault), the next morning I realized my mistake and initiated a package re-direct. It took 10 days to get there AND I paid a $26.39 penalty for that privilege. You got it for free.

For those who do not understand the effects of the Corona Virus, you are about to get a refresher course, as the 2nd wave will soon be underway. ALL delivery companies will be overwhelmed by increased volume to be done by fewer employees. Your pellets from dealers will take longer, the takeout food will be of smaller portions at higher prices due to the inability to get meat from farm to supermarket, the menus at most restaurants will continue to be greatly reduced, service across the country will not be what it once was for a couple years. poop happens, get used to it, it's the new reality.

To bring the discussion full circle, my package (two moderators from TKO) did arrive in yesterday's mail, 2 days later than need be but in good shape. My neighbor is a postal worker and a fine lady. She has shared with me the dramatic changes that have taken place at both the local level and the Regional centers for the USPS. As with every other aspect of our lives, greater measures of patience and compassion need to be extended to the workers of the USPS as well as the private carriers. Hope it all gets sorted for y'all soon.

I had 2 packages shipped to me on Wednesday. One from Los Angeles CA and one from North Carolina (Airgun Optics Plus), both Priority Mail. Right after shipping, the estimated delivery was Monday 6/15/20. Just got an email, both are out for delivery today-Saturday. Who else delivers without charge on Saturday? I know it can be frustrating when waiting for something. Not always perfect, but not as bad as some make it to be, considering everyone is sitting home ordering stuff online (huge increase in volume), short staffing due to sick employees, and social distancing requirements at work.

@cmatera

Actually, the package was sent to her residence. Where there is someone staffing the front desk 24/7. It doesn’t go to a mail room. The USPS said delivered which last time I checked is different than refused. So the USPS story kept changing. Hell, if it had been refused as stated, then it would have been returned to sender. They weren’t even going to follow up until I suggested the police get involved. And no, It is not something that I will accept. Losing a package containing PPEs isn’t cool. Lying about it is even less cool. Sorry, but just because we are experiencing COVID isn’t an excuse for incompetence. And yeah..It’s my fault for not sending it FedEx or UPS. 

Different story. Probably put in the wrong mailbox and rhe receiver took a few days to check their box and give it back for redelivery.

Be a good time to start a new delivery service. Not as easy as it sounds. Even Amazon gave up on the idea. Yes- go to UPS and pay 3 times the price and no Saturday delivery. Why didn’t you go to UPS or Fedex? Go to their “Customer Service” Center. In my city of 75,000 people it is open M-F from 1pm to 5PM. isn’t that convenient? If you work, which I don’t think applies to you (I’m retired too), you can’t go on your 12-1pm lunch hour or must leave work early to get it sent. Better yet, go to one of their independently owned UPS stores which are nothing more than franchises, and they will even box,seal and label the package for you, and boy will you pay. Cost may not be a big factor to those who ship a few packages a year, but to those who ship a lot it is. Every 3 day Ground package I send out 5 days a week (freight collect, so customers choose the carrier) takes 6 days or more, longer for points to either coast-before covid. When tracking shows Delivery delayed for no reason, you can call their world class customer service in the Phillipines. It’s a free country.

Got both my packages scheduled for 6/15 delivery on 6/12-a Saturday. My Leshiy 2 t-shirt was in a Fed Ex bag so they charged their rate and gave it to the USPS. The other was a scope from Charlie Sexton at Airgun Optics Plus.

When a carrier goes into a large building, he usually has a key to a room which grants him access to the back side of walls of lots of mailboxes. If he makes a mistake (people are human) and puts the package in the wrong box it shows as delivered in the system. It is delivered, BUT to the wrong address/box, which the person who checked the status of your package has no way of knowing. No one lied to you. They provided the information to you that they had, and believed to be true. I don’t know how old you are, (I’m 64), but the sooner you realize that the world does not revolve around you, and in some cases,no one is conspiring/lying to you to make you unhappy, the better off you will be. A person who sends a few packages a year is not able to have an overview of various delivery companies as someone who ships every day using multiple carriers including freght (semi truck) carriers, to be qualified to judge the difference between them.

They all have issues lately. I've thrown in the towel. USPS used to have a decent tracking system. Now you have to pay for the service if you want "Premium Tracking" for anything other than Priorty Mail, which was regular tracking in 2019. Slow deliveries which I can understand with the current state of affairs. At least they get me my packages eventually. Right now I have 4 tins of pellets sitting in the DFW distribution center. Took 2 days from Ohio to Dallas. Got there last Thurs. Still sitting there today. Last time this happened they lost it about 2 months back. Vendor made good on the order and dealt with Fedex but still a PITA. Caught UPS driver on video throwing a fragile heavy box over the fence and driving off. Bought it on Ebay so the vendor got stuck with it. UPS wouldn't pay even with video evidence claiming that it was within policy what the driver did when he claimed a dog forced him to and the boxing was inadequate. No dog in video or in actuality. Same driver missed a next day air shipment to my house claiming he wasn't comfortable leaving on porch as resident wasn't there. Total lie. Not until he threw a brand new Martin guitar in the wrong yard and the dog in that yard trashed it did they finally can him.

Wasn't like this 10 years back. Came with the automation and intense competition causing efficiency to suffer. And the poor drivers are worked like dogs around here. Long hours, tight schedules and constantly being tracked, monitored and reprimanded for the slightest infraction.

They all have issues, im not sure which carrier did this but I ordered a gaming mouse from an ebay retailer that was one city away (san jose). The package took nearly a week, the retailer shipped it a day after i ordered it. The package first went to San Francisco, then went to Oakland, then went back to San Jose and finally made it to Sunnyvale. 

Basically the package traveled over 100 miles even tho I was under 10 miles away from where it came from.

My son works for the USPS. There's two unions that work out of the local office. City Carriers and Rural Carriers. My son has a rural route. There are not enough vehicles to even get an assigned car. After 3 years, he still has to drive his own vehicle. He's been attacked by people on his route, carrying baseball bats, thinking that he's stealing packages, as they don't have uniforms on the rural routes. They get hand-me-down vehicles from other cities, which come from other, bigger cities. He's used USPS vehicles on loan, depending on the route, but he's actually had a break down 3 times in one shift and not with the same vehicle! 

He drive's his right hand drive, personally owned SUV and a couple weeks ago, the bleach package, which was not properly sealed by Amazon or whomever, went all over the back of his SUV, ruining the carpet and his clothes. On average, he was working over 6 days a week and 60 hrs a week. A very difficult job, even before the customer compliants about their packages being left at their mailbox and not personally delivered up their 1/2 mile private drive to their front porch.

However, a couple of months ago, I had an Amazon package delivered to my PO Box (at the same one my son works out of). They couldn't find it, anywhere... "LOST". Last week (after 2 months) one of the PO employees brought it out with another package and said that it had been sitting there for the last two months and he didn't know why no one had given it to me yet...

I've been waiting on a small first class package from Tim Hill since last month and the tracking is still stuck on the "in transit to next facility". What most don't know is that USPS is a municipal corporation in chapter 7 bankruptcy (name in all caps) since 2015 and it should finalize around the 22nd or so of this month. Been in contact with Tim but it seems he will only refund me but is not willing to make another shipment to my address. It could be that a dishonest and unscrupulous postal worker ripped me off, as it has already happened before with UPS when I received an empty tube 😡 that should have contained an FX barrel liner, but FX sent me another and made good on customer service. Oh we will see what happens...

Al

I also had lengthy shipping times with usps. So because of that experience, I decided to ship my rifle for a professional tuning with UPS. There cost was more, but it went from Arizona to Oregon in 4 days. The problem is when it showed up the stock had been completely broken off and in 3 pieces. I went on UPS web site to find out how to file a claim. Spent two hours fighting with a ridiculous claims process and finally decided to drive to the UPS office I shipped from. Was informed the web site is junk and claim has to be filed at place of shipping. As soon as I showed pictures of damage and asked to file claim, I was informed that UPS will have to inspect the shipping container and rarely pays the claim. They virtually deny all damage claims because of improper packaging. I informed them that I had followed their suggested packaging for air rifle and expect to be paid for the insurance I had purchased when shipped. Turns out the "insurance" they sell you is not what you think it is. It is strictly for the protection of UPS for any claims filed. It covers UPS, not you. They then have to send it to someone in their security division to investigate. After a week of hearing nothing, I again went to the local office. I was informed that the claim had been closed because they had not been able to reach me by phone. Never received any phone calls. So now we are still in limbo, UPS is stalling and I have a broken rifle. In talking to the tuning professional, he said he only ships by USPS, because their insurance actually pays when damage occurs. Look up UPS claims on the web and you find nothing but stories of claims being rejected. I will do no more shipping with UPS. They are not truthful and will not stand behind damage caused by them.

Their insurance is a joke. Their customer service (Phillipines) is a joke. Their prices are a joke, especially their "Residental Surcharge" . "Extended Delivery Area" and "Fuel Surcharge". All my 3 Day Ground shipments take 6-8 days to arrive. UPS representatives go to every PRC (Postal Regulatory Commission) meetings and lobby for higher USPS rates so UPS can then raise their rates, and blame it on the USPS.