• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

USPS Money Orders - IMO Do Not Accept Unless

Scamming is huge on every sector, and both digital and paper.

That is why for several years now I only bought airguns from members I've seen on forums and contributed for a long time,

I would never buy paying digital or paper from someone I've never seen before or barely started on the forums.
The heart breaking scams I saw were the love and employment scams

Reactions: allinssd
Bitcoin.

Zero risk as a Seller.

No waiting for a check.
No worrying about if it's fake once it arrives.
No worry about a chargeback.
No worry about Paypal or Venmo scams.
Get your money in less than an hour, in most cases under 10min.

Bitcoin is the future. Embrace it or get left behind.
Bitcoin isn't real money. It's a bunch of 1's and 0's made up by some computer geek with wild fluctuations in value that is treated like a commodity by SEC and therefore taxable by the IRS.

Bitcoin isn't real money. It's a bunch of 1's and 0's made up by some computer geek with wild fluctuations in value that is treated like a commodity by SEC and therefore taxable by the IRS.

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything.

I was a Financial Advisor and the reason I retired in my 30's was I was tired of trying to convince people that they hired me because I knew how to better allocate their assets.

And FYI, nothing is "real money".

There are pros and cons to every system.

Reactions: oledawg
I don't see the problem, I never ship the gun or bow or anything else until I cashed the Money Order, so I see no problems really for the seller.
I'm an old, retired conservative banker. If anyone is considering bitcoin, here's my advice; read everything you can find, and when you're sure you understand it, then make your decision.

FWIW I sold a motorcycle online to a member of the same forum that we'd both been members for years.
He sent a cashier's check which I took to my bank and while they confirmed the check was good and the funds were available, they did add that it was no guarantee the funds would still be there when the transaction processed. Fortunately it cleared. Fraudsters know there's a short grace period banks use, and play a shell game.

Recently in the next state a young man was arrested for this type of fraud, he traded in a car on another vehicle and the bank showed he only owed a grand on his two year old car, but the check he sent the bank was bad and the dealer didn't find this out til after the trade in. And left the dealer on the hook. Fortunately there's a solid paper trail on vehicke transfers but this guy pulled it off twice in a week before he was arrested.

You need to be careful sending checks, I have a banker in a business association I belong to and she told us about a customer of hers that sent in a check for the utility bill and someone intercepted it, washed the ink except for the signature, and wrote it for $7,000 instead of the seventy something her bill was for. She even personally dropped it off at the post office, so somewhere between there and the utility, the check got stolen. The bank was able to get her money back, but it was a drawn out process. The bankers advise is to use a pen that the ink can’t be washed, I can’t recall the name of it, but apparently the check gets damaged before the ink comes off.

I was checking out the classified and say someone was accepting USPS Money Orders and certainly if you know the person and trust them there is no problem. With that said I know for a fact that USPS Money Orders can be fraudulent. I worked in the financial industry before retirement and dealt with fraud against customers and against the company. Basically if it is printed it can be copied, I’ve seen 1 IRS check that was fraudulent. If you accept one once you know it has been cleared and is no longer negotiable make sure you shred it.
I worked at the post office window for years. We had fake MOs come in quite often. They stood out like a sore thumb to me. Regardless, if the post office cashes it, you are home free. Cash it first and then ship. Never assume it to be legit. Of course, don't assume anything anyway.

The idea of cashing MO at a post office and when you have cash in your hands that no one can take back from you, then ship goods, is a pretty good one. If you are depositing a cashier's check in a bank, then it's a good idea to wait a day until you see that the deposit was cleared and shows in your bank statement as posted.

Reactions: baranjhn
The idea of cashing MO at a post office and when you have cash in your hands that no one can take back from you, then ship goods, is a pretty good one. If you are depositing a cashier's check in a bank, then it's a good idea to wait a day until you see that the deposit was cleared and shows in your bank statement as posted.
Just because it clears your bank in a couple of days doesn’t mean the funds can’t be removed if later found to be fraudulent. Your first scenario is the best

Just because it clears your bank in a couple of days doesn’t mean the funds can’t be removed if later found to be fraudulent. Your first scenario is the best
Then we are getting back to the point that PayPal (or Venmo, or Zelle) payments are safer in this sense than any of traditional check payments. From my understanding, cashier's check is backed by funds that are withdrawn from your bank account when you draw this check. And you can check availability of funds and validate cashier's check only as well as I recall. So, I have no idea how they can withdraw deposited cashier's check funds back. With personal check, this can be the case, but until it clears. Cleared check means that funds were moved between two banks and available for you to spend, i.e. the other bank confirmed the validity of the check and released funds. How after this point can the bank "backtrack" it? What am I missing?

Then we are getting back to the point that PayPal (or Venmo, or Zelle) payments are safer in this sense than any of traditional check payments. From my understanding, cashier's check is backed by funds that are withdrawn from your bank account when you draw this check. And you can check availability of funds and validate cashier's check only as well as I recall. So, I have no idea how they can withdraw deposited cashier's check funds back. With personal check, this can be the case, but until it clears. Cleared check means that funds were moved between two banks and available for you to spend, i.e. the other bank confirmed the validity of the check and released funds. How after this point can the bank "backtrack" it? What am I missing?
Call you bank ask them if you deposit a check or money order or even cashiers check and 6 months later it is determined to be fraudulent can they remove the funds from your account. We are talking about Money orders and checks that were at one point a valid form of payment that has been washed and the payment amount has been changed and the payee as well as the date. Most signatures remain as the original signer.

Last edited:
You can check online to see if the USPS issued a money order with that number and from what zip code it came from.
They should match (where purchased and where you will ship to) within reason, geopraphically. I have no problem cashing USPS money orders at my bank, but as always don't ship until you are satisfied all is well. Always exercise care regarding how long the buyer has been a member and their reputation.

Scams nowadays have many faces.

This is a situation unfolding in real time,.....Now I'm not saying it's an attempted scam, just putting it out there,

A member here said He sent a Money order last monday for a gun, usually it takes 3 days at the most from the west coast so by friday I started telling him to see if can find out with the Post office where the mail he sent is ( ho yeah he mentioned he didn't get a tracking # because the post office closed on him ) anyway I'm not worried for myself more worried about him losing his money so I kept PM him about checking with the post office but got no reply for the past couple days.

Attempted scam ? ........see if I send the gun before getting the Money order ?
I don't know and still hope the mail comes in one day, in the mean time the gun is boxed ready to go since mid week lasr week.

Reactions: rcs9250

This is a situation unfolding in real time,.....Now I'm not saying it's an attempted scam, just putting it out there,

A member here said He sent a Money order last monday for a gun, usually it takes 3 days at the most from the west coast so by friday I started telling him to see if can find out with the Post office where the mail he sent is ( ho yeah he mentioned he didn't get a tracking # because the post office closed on him ) anyway I'm not worried for myself more worried about him losing his money so I kept PM him about checking with the post office but got no reply for the past couple days.

I don't know and still hope the mail comes in one day, in the mean time the gun is boxed ready to go since mid week lasr week.
I had a similar situation in the summer. I was selling a rifle and buyer did some kind of thing where he electronically contacts his bank to send me a check. The bank was the one to actually mail the check. More than a week goes by waiting on check. I stay in contact with buyer to assure I still have not received payment. I wondered if he was starting to wonder about me. I’m betting he re-checked my seller feedback. Finally after almost two weeks the check arrives. It probably sat in an “outgoing mail box” at bank for close to a week. Anyway, check showed up and rifle was shipped, both parties happy.
Many many years ago when I was a kid, 1967ish, I was 12 years old. The scouting magazine BOY’S LIFE or POPULAR SCIENCE always ran an ad for bobwhite quail eggs and a incubator. I saved my pennies and put both currency and coins in an envelope and sent it off. They never arrived. Told my mother about the scheme. She advised that you never ever send cash in the mail. She felt bad some SOB ripped me off but was probably glad she didn’t have a half dozen bobwhite quails to be mother to. Never ever sent cash after that lesson.

Weird since the tracking number is on the bottom of the receipt. Just sent a package last week and got a tracking number even though I didn't ask for one.

I had a similar situation in the summer. I was selling a rifle and buyer did some kind of thing where he electronically contacts his bank to send me a check. The bank was the one to actually mail the check. More than a week goes by waiting on check. I stay in contact with buyer to assure I still have not received payment. I wondered if he was starting to wonder about me. I’m betting he re-checked my seller feedback. Finally after almost two weeks the check arrives. It probably sat in an “outgoing mail box” at bank for close to a week. Anyway, check showed up and rifle was shipped, both parties happy.
I had exactly the same thing happen to me, but I was the one who was sending a check from my bank. It also took two weeks to reach the seller and after this I never schedule check payment via my bank, I just mail them myself from a post office with certified mail.

Reactions: rcs9250