• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Using Nitrogen in a PCP air rifle.

The appeal of nitrogen is usually because you can get a big 6000psi cylinder dropped off at your house, and with a regulator on it, you can fill from it. When it gets empty, they come swap it out. But prices vary widely from one location to the next. No compressor, and no tank to get filled and keep hydro'd. But the regulator setup is near $500, so there is that. 

And some people are just overly concerned about the finest purest "air" for their PCPs. Which is ridiculous, but to each their own. 

Other than those, no real reason to seek it out over regular air. 

I've been using nitrogen since 2014 with no problems. I figure it's costing me between $300 and $400 a year right now? You'll have to check prices in your area. Some guys get it way cheaper and some even have to pay more outrageous prices.

I just recently purchased an Ayrtekk Booster to be able to use the nitrogen in my bottle down to 1000 psi before turning in the bottle for a refill.

Here's an old post I commented on in 2019

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/nitrogen-for-pcps/#post-603015

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/filling-with-nitrogen/#post-421666

Here's my Booster set up.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/got-my-ayrtekk-booster-this-morning-first-fill-on-the-cricket/?referrer=1

So what special equiptment will I need? I would think I would need a regulator of some kind to put onto the Nitrogen bottle and then my regular filling hose from the Nitrogen to my tank. Then also the cost of purchasing the Nitrogen. Starting to sound a bit on the costly side.

I am going to contact a few weld shops close by me to see what they charge.

So what special equiptment will I need? I would think I would need a regulator of some kind to put onto the Nitrogen bottle and then my regular filling hose from the Nitrogen to my tank. Then also the cost of purchasing the Nitrogen. Starting to sound a bit on the costly side.

For a 6k dry nitrogen bottle you rent at a gas company, a CGA677 fitted hose assembly that is regulated...you should absolutely get the regulated because you can easily overload your gun and have valve lock like never before. Contact ExpertHPA.com

Most rentals for a 6k tank are 15-20$ per month, and refills are around $40. You won't be refilling it much because of the volume. I'll look up the ccs right now

Man, some guys really seem to come out cheap on the nitrogen route from the welding shops. I'd go that route if I could get so lucky! It seems that quotes have varied WIDELY with the guys I've talked to, so call around. I think some places just throw out an astronomical price to push guys like us away, cause a single tank is not a money maker for them. Plus, most places dont even keep 6000psi nitrogen, most all are 2000psi. 

If you want to fill straight to the gun, you'll need a regulator setup. It screws onto the tank valve and has a knob to set output pressure. Same as on a welding cylinder setup but usually more expensive due to the 6000psi part. The valves on gas cylinders flow pretty fast, so it would be real easy to overfill a gun going straight from the cylinder to your gun. 

Now you may could get a small SCBA "guppy" size tank, and fill straight from the cylinder to that since you have a lot more volume to work from. Then fill from that tank to your gun as needed. The fill setup would be cheaper this way without the regulator. 

Call around and see what they say. Maybe you will get lucky like some guys. 

I am in construction and get special rates with my gas supplier. So you need to call around and check on the prices. Here is your answer on the fills. A standard marauder has 215cc reservoir, and a standard 4500psi tank will fill it like this:
Screenshot_20210125-071009.1611587625.png

Now with a 150cu ft rental, you will get this: 
Screenshot_20210125-0708462.1611587668.png

Your first time fill should be significantly more like $80-120, but refills should run you half that. My refills are $42 and my first time fill up was $96. So call and find out exactly how much refills are from 3k-6k, how much is the first fill, how much the delivery cost is, and what is the monthly rental price. Oh, and the pick up and drop off price if they are swapping out. Then factor in a $500 regulated hose assembly CGA677. You can see why it adds up fast. Hope this paints a accurate picture for you.

Keep in mind, a standard 75cu tank costs $8-14 for a refill where I am, so if the 150cu affords me 3x the fills, a 75cu tank costs me $24-42 to fill the gun the same amount of times as the 150cu ft dry nitrogen tank does. Then you have to factor in the carbon fiber tank being $600-800 depending on the brand. So costs swing both ways. Saying screw it to the nitrogen route doesn't make the other route a cheap buy in either. You have to think of it as an investment, whichever route you choose, and accept that you are still paying cents on the dollar of what powder burners spend. I used to spend $100 at the range minimum. Now I spend $1-6. When you buy a hose assembly or a carbon fiber tank, think of it as buying all your ammo for the next couple years. The refills are just maintenance charges.

The prices are definitely all over, so call around.

I rent my 6k tank for $75 a year and $75 per fill. It is heavy!! If they can’t deliver to a residential area, make sure you have a dolly and a trailer or help to lift it into a pickup. 

The fill apparatus can be regulated or not depending on what you fill to. You only need the $200 adapter if filling to a SCBA tank. That is what I do. Having the extra tank is nice so you don’t have to always shoot right next to your 6k tank. If filling straight to a gun, go for the $500 to protect the gun. 

The prices are definitely all over, so call around.

I rent my 6k tank for $75 a year and $75 per fill. It is heavy!! If they can’t deliver to a residential area, make sure you have a dolly and a trailer or help to lift it into a pickup. 

The fill apparatus can be regulated or not depending on what you fill to. You only need the $200 adapter if filling to a SCBA tank. That is what I do. Having the extra tank is nice so you don’t have to always shoot right next to your 6k tank. If filling straight to a gun, go for the $500 to protect the gun.

What gun are you shooting and how many fill ups do you calculate you achieve?

I was all ready to go nitro, $110/yr tank lease, $215 per fill, then no delivery to a residential area. At 65, I'm too old to haul around a 400# tank. I'm sticking with my Bauer Jr II compressor, 3 Joe B tanks, Joe B regulator. I will however add an Ayrtekk booster, because I have 2 Huben K1's that fill to 5,000 PSI, and a Benjamin Bulldog that loves air.

I am shooting an FX Crown and also an Air Arms S510. I got a price today on a bottle of gas that is completely filled to 6000 PSI and is 480 CU.FT. All for 900 bucks, and the regulator from the Nitrogen to my 4500 PSI tank is another 200 bucks. So for 1100 dollars I should be all set. Don't have to worry about a compressor. Now I will have to do the math, just to see approx. how many shots it will last me. I am thinking I get around 3 to 4 fillings from my tank I have now into my FX Crown. I think I use to get at least 10 fills to my Air Arms.