Using air pressure to size pellets

I just watched a Ken Hicks video on how he uses a device attached to a Lee Loader to size pellets. Work wise it seems to be quicker than how i currently do it with a scale. I just don’t understand the science behind it. Please take a look and say what you may about sorting pellets this way. I have no idea of the total cost involved but I already have a Lee Loader like in the video and I have a garage compressor.

https://youtu.be/Qs5tSDT9oS0

You couldn't hear the air flowing but it is all the time. When he pushes the pellet up into the tool its basically plugging the air path and raising the gauge pressure. The tool is adjusted so that the pellet doesn't contact the ID of the tool but very close. The larger the pellet head the more it restricts the flow and the higher the gauge pressure.
jk

I received a reply from the the guy selling the device in the video. It’s interesting but I just don’t feel like spending $300 on something that I’m not convinced will work for me.
here is what I was sent.Thanks for your interest in the air gauge. The system come with .177/.22 dyes, .25/.30 is also avail for 50$ each. Items needed for use is a small shop compressor with a output regulator (i use a pancake style), and a reloading press (i have these in stock fir 50$). The system measures air resistance across the pellet head, so you will sort by different psi readings. Each caliber has a brass reference pellet to caliber the gauge via of a flow metering valve.Hope to have these kits ready to ship within a month.Kit with 2 calibers- 300$Lee press- 50$Additional calibers 50$ eachPlus shipping. Est 20-25

Take this with a pound of salt as these are the thoughts of someone who is relatively new to air guns and doesn't shoot in any type of competitions, although it is a personal challenge to shoot small groups.

I understand what the tool is doing and the principle of it's operation but how do you quantify the pressure reading to a head diameter? In the video the gentleman is sorting pellets by 3 psi increments, so do you take a pellet that your rifle shoots well, say 4.51 mm and check the pressure reading, then use that number when sorting other tins? A Pelletgage measures in .01 mm (.0004") increments and is about $50. Are there rifles that are so finicky that pellet differences of less than four ten thousandths of an inch make a measurable difference in accuracy? If that were the case wouldn't a person be better to buy a pellet sizer and size all pellets to the size your rifle likes? 

Hi guys, let me try to clear up some questions. The system measures air resistance across the pellet head. So your sorting by the different PSI readings on the gauge. This is very sensitive, and picks up and deformed heads instantly with a pressure loss on the gauge. And because of the sensitivity you will have a usually a 10-15 psi range sorted. In the video i was sorting a mixed tin of advertised 4.52-4.53 pellets, so i had a large range of readings. When sorted out on paper as i did in the video you will see how they are sorting out. Then i usually take and separate by 3 psi lots. Then you have to do your homework and test the lots and see what your rifle likes, then you know what PSI range to save for your match select. The caliber dyes comes with one brass reference pellets to calibrate the psi gauge. This reference pellet is machine smaller than the shooting pellets, so that you get the resistance readings. Does it work?? It does!! This system is aimed for the competitive shooter when millimeters can win or lose a match. I only do this with my match pellets, because the bulls eye on a match target is 2 mm, a kill zone on a squirrel is 25 mm, so i don't feel the need to sort my plinking or hunting ammo. Again does it work?? GOD yes! In 2017 I taken 1st place over 20 times, placed in top 3 in HV,LV and springer classes at regions and nationals, and took gold in 25m Extreme Bench-rest in AZ with a record setting score, with a 4 point gap from between 1st and 2nd place! This doesnt happen in a 80 shooter event. I have shooters ask me how do i know what size the pellets are after i sort them. I reply, I don't know, why would i care what the numbers are? it the PSI sorting and the testing/homework that tells the tale. I will also add that your accuracy will increase by merely shooting this sorted by air pellets, just because you adding consistency in the pellets that your shooting sorted into lots. 

Ken

Ken,
Thanks for the explanation, you essentially clarified what I was thinking your system groups pellets with similar physical attributes together. Then it’s just a bit of trial and error to figure out what your barrel/rifle likes. 
Right now using out of the can pellets I’m getting .5 groups at 100 yards of a rest with my Crown. I’m not involved with competition as know one in my area shoots air rifles seriously. 

I've been air gauging pellets for over 4 years. My first gauge cost nearly 3 times what Ken is selling his for, but I shoot competitive Benchrest internationally and was looking for an edge on the competition. The air gauge definitely gives you that edge. You can get similar results using the $50 pellet gauge but that's $50 per caliber, while Ken is offering his with dies for 2 calibers for $300. The question is- how much is your time worth? Next time you're using your pellet gauge, time yourself to see how long it takes you per pellet and per tin. It takes less than 10 seconds per pellet to air gauge, the bigger and easier to grab the pellet, the faster you can measure them. I can do a tin of 500 8.4gr pellets in about 1.25 hrs and a tin of 400 .177 Monsters in less than an hour, and there is zero chance of deforming a pellet head.

As far as buying a sizer like the TR Robb sizer that I have, the problem there is finding pellets larger than your rifle likes to size down. Good luck with that!!!

My 2 cents worth,
Todd Banks

"Renegade"I've been air gauging pellets for over 4 years. My first gauge cost nearly 3 times what Ken is selling his for, but I shoot competitive Benchrest internationally and was looking for an edge on the competition. The air gauge definitely gives you that edge. You can get similar results using the $50 pellet gauge but that's $50 per caliber, while Ken is offering his with dies for 2 calibers for $300. The question is- how much is your time worth? Next time you're using your pellet gauge, time yourself to see how long it takes you per pellet and per tin. It takes less than 10 seconds per pellet to air gauge, the bigger and easier to grab the pellet, the faster you can measure them. I can do a tin of 500 8.4gr pellets in about 1.25 hrs and a tin of 400 .177 Monsters in less than an hour, and there is zero chance of deforming a pellet head.
As far as buying a sizer like the TR Robb sizer that I have, the problem there is finding pellets larger than your rifle likes to size down. Good luck with that!!!
My 2 cents worth,
Todd Banks
Wow thanks Todd!! Guys Todd is the 2011 World Champ....

thanks Champ!!!