used lead, cleaning out pellet traps.

@bustachip Take a look at this thread if you have not already

Are all pellets pure lead? Or are they an alloy with something added to the lead? Might be stated on the label, I've never looked?
@WNYBill Swaged slugs are pretty close to pure lead. Some using lead that is 99.95% (or claim to be). I think pellets are made with harder lead alloy. Some appear to be harder than others. Crosman Premier hollow points appear to be harder than JSB pellets. FX pellets appear harder than JSB pellets to me. I could be wrong, but the pellet hardness assumption is based upon my own observations from use.

anyone remember the old cast iron cornbread pans that looked like ears of corn?
I have been saving my lead from bullets and pellets for years and melting and pouring them into those pans. Each ear or corn level full is almost exactly one pound of lead. Easy to store and transport. Use a bunch for the lead sled. The rest I will eventually use to make something.

Doc

Reactions: bustachip
We have an indoor 50’ pistol range in town, we shoot a bullseye league and what we call a combat league where we shoot our carry guns for practice. Access to the range is members with key cards 24 hours a day unless league is shooting. The last time we cleaned the bullet traps we took the lead we had been saving to the local scrap yard we got .49c a pound for 1600lbs. We also took the empty brass that the guys leave in 5 gallon buckets, I don‘t remember how many pounds it was but we got about $400 dollars for it. Helps pay for the heat and air conditioning.

Reactions: bustachip