use of products ?

I am just wondering if the manufactures design their products with the amount of use that is present here on AGN ? I read thread after thread about compressors failing even when directions are followed . Maybe the design is for a more casual user , week end and maybe 100 pellets on saturday afternoon ?
Or do they design with Job Security in mind ?
i have 3 PCP rifles and a Omega trail charger , these are all tube rifles no bottle guns . this compressor runs about 1.5 minutes to fill a gun . which is what it was designed as . No problems in over 2 years . I am wondering if maybe i should try a YH and see how long it lasts as a gun only fill option ?

I think it comes down to making improvements based on common sense.

My Yong Heng is.. hold on , checking the date in email now... 2 years old. I have run this compressor to top of 2 45 minute tanks and 1 30 minute tank from 2500 psi to 4300 psi over those 2 years countless times. I do not think the prehistoric aw46 fram oil the manufacturer recommended would allow it to still be running. I quickly switched to Seca Lube 500 which is meant for twin screw commercial compressors that have a high duty cycle and run around the clock, this compressor only gets breaks between bottles when its summer/or summer like temperatures. I fill back to back most of the fall and winter, non stop. It has not skipped a beat. I do check fittings regularly, I did update all gauges to better Wika gauges, and I always let the water pump run for 5-10 minutes after I am done filling.

"Planned Obsolescence"

When I was an engineer for a large air moving manufacturer, I chastised the buyer for purchasing L50 bearings, knowing that the L100 bearings were only 20% more but lasted twice as long but I was told that "Planned Obsolescence" kept us in business.

Well, that company was closed a while later, so there's that. ;)

Just my opinion from my use and experience over the past 7 years in HPA/PCP:
You get what you pay for.

All of the Chinese made compressors from $200 up through $1500 - there is minimal quality control and the materials are mostly low end. There is no more chance that the $200 YH or a $1500 Air Venturi will last longer or fail quickly. It's hit or miss. I have one YH that lasted about 20 hours and that feels good to me. I've also had a YH that lasted 5 hours and then cracked the crankcase. There's just no guarantee there. Before anyone claims misuse - I've always run really good cooling and tons of water separation.

Boosters: I got well over 400 hours on my Shoebox F10 and would've gotten more if I had better water separation from the driver shop compressor. The Altaros booster is really good and I sold mine after a good number of hours only because it takes A LOT of air to drive it quickly and I wasn't able to keep up with that.

Top End: After 7 years and thousands spent on compressors I finally got an Alkin. Been using it for the past 7-8 months and it awesome. Tanks fill are fast and dry. Have no concern with it lasting a long time. But, hey it's $$$.

To your original question - if the Trail Charger is working well for you I would stick with it. The YH is a pita to setup all the water cooling and output water separation. Just doesn't seem worth it for filling guns. If you're going to go YH then I would also get a tank.

I am just wondering if the manufactures design their products with the amount of use that is present here on AGN ? I read thread after thread about compressors failing even when directions are followed . Maybe the design is for a more casual user , week end and maybe 100 pellets on saturday afternoon ?
Or do they design with Job Security in mind ?
i have 3 PCP rifles and a Omega trail charger , these are all tube rifles no bottle guns . this compressor runs about 1.5 minutes to fill a gun . which is what it was designed as . No problems in over 2 years . I am wondering if maybe i should try a YH and see how long it lasts as a gun only fill option ?

That's certainly a valid question. I think that those here on the forum do use their arms at a much higher rate than the average owner. Most products do have an estimated service life (ESL) and some of us take them well beyond that. I know that I do.

Compressing, containing, and releasing high pressure air makes for systems that are much more finicky than the average owner wants to deal with. Let alone the kind of people that can't resist fiddling with it. That's why I favor pumpers and co2.

Combine the above with people that are more than willing to complain about things and you have the free exchange of knowledge that we see here.

Ride on,

J~

Just my opinion from my use and experience over the past 7 years in HPA/PCP:
You get what you pay for.

All of the Chinese made compressors from $200 up through $1500 - there is minimal quality control and the materials are mostly low end. There is no more chance that the $200 YH or a $1500 Air Venturi will last longer or fail quickly. It's hit or miss.
That is part of why I haven’t replaced it yet. Spend 3times as much for the same junk.

I don’t/can’t soot enough to justify a real compressor, so I am content with my “Four Uncles” hand pump…..for now

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
This is what my Benjamin hand pump did to my BSA R10:

Watch out for condensation getting through to the bottle. I think the BSA was affected more as I could pump it up to 225/250 bar ... creating more heat.

BSA Buddy Bottle Break.jpg

I've had two YH for years now. One broke the reed valve so I bought another YH on sale for $179.00, and rebuilt the original. I've replaced one connecting rod.
Parts are cheap, available and easy to work on. I have a couple of 60 minute tanks, and several 30 minute.
when they get down to 3000, I refill to 4200. Back to back. I also fill my friends tanks. I've been more than happy to say the least. Royal Purple and I add a teaspoon of super fine Moly powder.
turns oil dark but who cares. I also run a additional fan across the compressor

My current YH made it to over 120 hours before the hour meter broke, I replaced it and that one died after 30 hours. I got a 2 pack of them and found a better location for them and I must have about 160 hours on the YH now.

I have a rebuild kit ready to go if it should die and I thought it did once but it turned out to be the auto-off gauge, I pulled that and added a hose, a gauge and just watch it till it gets to 4k.

I have 2, 66 sq ft bottles that I fill to 4k at least once a week, many times 2 or three times a week depending on the caliber and how many shots I take. Ill fill the bottles every day this week since I am shooting 158gr 9mm from my AEA all week at gongs, tuning that beasty!

I suspect there's some quality control issues and also issues with people stressing their compressors beyond their tolerances.

I've been using a GX compressor to fill big SCBA tanks for over two years now and it's been doing well. I have it on a timer that keeps it on for about 1 min 20s, then turns it off for 5 min. I keep a thermistor on the unit to keep track of its temperature and adjust the on/off cycle to keep it under 40c (on the top of the pump external surface).

The only problem I've had with the GX compressor is I sometimes forget to check in on it. The 1:20/5 cycles result in very slow filling. So if you forget about it for an hour or two beyond the fill time, this often results in ruptured hoses. That's not the pump's fault, it's on me.

The biggest surprise through all this is that the GX can start when under full load. The instruction manual made me think otherwise.

That is part of why I haven’t replaced it yet. Spend 3times as much for the same junk.

I don’t/can’t soot enough to justify a real compressor, so I am content with my “Four Uncles” hand pump…..for now
Very valid point on support. I don't expect any support for a YH - you're on your own for any issues but there is a lot of knowledge and support from members here.

I had a CS3 that lasted exactly 50 hours and then stopped going above 2000psi. Support was terrible - I'm not going to take 50 pictures and 10 videos and go back and forth on email for 2 months. Don't have time in my life for that.

And just my opinion, but if you look at the YH and then you look at all the other similar ones with two or three heads, built in cooling, fans, gadgets, shutoffs, etc - they all look like someone just strapped a bunch of accessories onto a YH. So the core functional part of the product doesn't equate to anything more than a YH.

I would think that it depends on how often you run your compressor. Are you filling to maximum pressure, guns only, SCBAs, etc.? For instance my Hatsan Lightning HPA has been running steadily with a few hiccups along the way for over two years. I fill a 45 and 60 minute SCBA to 4300 psi. Don’t want the compressor straining itself for those last insignificant 200 psi. Same with my regulated PCPs I don’t have to fill them to their maximum pressure and don’t.