• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Use a FILTER

This folks is why you use dry air to fill your gun. Thank you Brian at Veradium Air for being my airgun doctor. I personally filter my compressor. This is a newly purchased used rifle.
6D3774C0-559F-429A-B23A-120C05B5ECFD.jpeg
AE796A48-7EE5-4D97-B8E9-68537446625B.jpeg
16B48FDA-84E4-478E-9F71-105D7640FC0D.jpeg
C4564451-373B-4C9B-818E-A20F3FD7423A.jpeg

This is exactly why I don't/won't buy a used PCP from just anyone... Using a cheap compressor is fine...those cheap filters you read about everyone say...is fine.... definitely is not! Your holding the proof in your hand.
Hopefully you get it cleaned up and there's no pitting in the important parts..

Last edited:
This is exactly why I don't/won't buy a used PCP from just anyone... Using a cheap compressor is fine...those cheap filters you read about everyone say...is fine.... definitely is not! Your holding the proof in your hand.
Hopefully you get it cleaned up and there's no putting in the important parts..
Wow, yeah no truer words spoken, a buddy of mine has a Benjamin marauder that inside the air cylinder looked like a water line out of a 100 year old building, had to spend a good bit to get it back right, and looked beautifully and well kept on the outside, he uses good filters nowadays.

Wow, yeah no truer words spoken, a buddy of mine has a Benjamin marauder that inside the air cylinder looked like a water line out of a 100 year old building, had to spend a good bit to get it back right, and looked beautifully and well kept on the outside, he uses good filters nowadays.
Yeah, almost ruined my first PCP, Umarex Gauntlet, with handpump. Internals looked similar, not the caked-on deposits, but the green, slimy stuff. WM

I live where it's supppper dry🤯 do I need the filter on my hand pump?....
Hill mk4(if anyone was one or a link to one) mine was just pump and hose👀
My MK4 has an intake filter. I don’t trust it. I actually only reserve my hand pump for potential SHTF situations. $2000 air rifles deserve a good high pressure end filter.

I live where it's supppper dry🤯 do I need the filter on my hand pump?....
Hill mk4(if anyone was one or a link to one) mine was just pump and hose👀
This is a frequent topic, some members will comment no problem with moisture filling PCPs, others will post pictures like the OP. After my experience, I went Yong Heng with a string of four filters! Each has to decide for themselves, I guess, I've too much invested in my PCPs to feed them anything but dry, clean air. WM

I’ve read of issues with the Chinese ones on eBay and Amazon. I don’t now if this is widespread or not. The high pressure filter I use was made in England and has a working pressure of 414 bar. I bought it from a guy on the Talon forum probably 7 years ago so I’m sorry but I can’t remember his name. Back then they were $250.
image.jpg
image.jpg

That is why I love my Altaros booster and the 3 compressors that run it.

I over do it on filters I suppose, although the media changes colors in only two of the 4 filters on my Altaros system, I change out the first three every use regardless, the one inside my Altaros Booster cabinet never gets moisture. I don’t recycle my media either as I have found that it breaks down and I don’t need that either.

I drain all three shop compressors and run fans on them and I spent enough coin to have 3 because HEAT in the enemy of compressors and as illustrated here, also Airguns. I keep the tank valve open after draining them and let them run for a while after I start them before closing the tank valve.

Then I send that dry air to a 10 gallon tank, that I check to make sure it never gets water either, and then to my Altaros Booster which runs cold and slow. I never ever get moisture bleeding my pcp’s. Or after I fill a gun with my tank.

Those little cigarette/tampons are beyond worthless, even hand pumps saturate them in short order do to the heat.

I owned a Hatsan Spark before the Altaros Booster, 1st and last Hatsan, I gave it away due to heat and moisture problems. The fellow I gave it to says it is still running, perhaps because it is water cooled, ;) , if you get my humor.

But then I’m retired and have the time to do all of this.

Regards,

Roachcreek
68F0AEC3-B31C-43E9-9D00-FB3D40CEFA3A.jpeg

Last edited:
The desiccant filter inside my Altaros never changes color. I change out the desiccant in my pre filters before every fill. The compressed air then goes through the filter above which has molecular sieve in it. I don’t get any moisture in my tank either. You can’t over do it! I don’t try to regenerate the used desiccant either, it’s too cheap, I just chunk it.

Reactions: Stone02
This kind threads always trip me out,....wander what people do to their guns.

All I know is that I've been handpumping for over 15 years in Hawaii ( also have a Nomad II )

And,..... I've never found even a spec of corrosion inside my guns,....matter of fact I'm way more worried of the outside where I really need to pay constant attention to avoid rust.

I use a hand pump and also have never had any evidence of moisture or corrosion in my guns. I pause and bleed the line and let the pump cool every 50 strokes or so. I haven't used a compressor, but it seems to me they would accumulate moisture faster and would need to be bled very frequently or you would need an actual molecular sieve to filter the air going from the pump to the reservoir. These are expensive for a reason. Those $25 filters from Amazon do nothing but slow down the process of filling your gun by adding pointless volume to the air line.

Reactions: keith1
This kind threads always trip me out,....wander what people do to their guns.

All I know is that I've been handpumping for over 15 years in Hawaii ( also have a Nomad II )

And,..... I've never found even a spec of corrosion inside my guns,....matter of fact I'm way more worried of the outside where I really need to pay constant attention to avoid rust.
So your saying you pull all your PCP rifles apart to inspect them...clean and reassemble every year?

Reactions: silvershooter589
I removed the valve from 1 of my scba tanks that I've been filling with my F10 for around 4 years and there wasn't a bit of moisture in it. I don't use any filters on it but it's pretty dry where I live in N AZ. If I lived where it's humid I'm sure it would be a different story. I do know the young Heng clone I used before did put moisture in my liberty at the time even in single digit humidity but that was direct fill of the rifle.