• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Resources USA vs European Field Target

Thanks for your reply BC. It is challenging more so that I thought when we first started, we were shooting 1/10 scale chickens at 40 yards, pigs at 55 yards, turkeys at 60 yards and rams at 75. No scope adjustments parallax or range adjustments makes for some interesting mind calculations out past 50 yards. We all worked the chickens over really good and the pigs too. Anyone who has ever shot NRA silhouettes knows how hard the turkeys are (they are the smallest square inch target per range of any of the animals). We all struggled a bit with them but once figuring the holdover we managed to hit them with some regularity. The rams were easier but one of the guys never got on them. I was shooting a Uragan with 18.1 grain pellets under 35 ft-pds. Another fellow was shooting a Red Wolf at probably 55 ft-pds and he didn't have much trouble at all. He then switched over to a Wolverine HP .177 and did almost as well, but you could tell the difference at 75 yards on the Rams, he was hitting them, but they didn't move nearly as much as the .22 at 35 ft-pds did.

I would really like to shoot the FHT with sticks and hope that it takes off in this country. We used the silhouettes because that's what we have and it's OK as you can use the high-powered guns that most of us have here in the US. I think that I might be the only guy in the club that has a sub 20 ft-pd air rifle. The closest club that is shooting Field Target to me is 250 miles one way, that is a far piece to do in one day for an old guy. The only way that I could shoot it would be offhand or on the sticks, and I'm getting too old for that much offhand shooting. So, maybe some people will read some of this and we can get the pot stirred and get some interest, I hope!

RB

Reactions: BC