• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Resources USA vs European Field Target

Photos snagged off the internet...

WFTF, which is ironically the "world" variety of field target, shot all over the world, less than 12fpe (some do sit more upright, somewhat of a generalization, but this is the typically the class utilizing the most shooting aids that you don't see in other classes of field target and in some cases nowhere else in the shooting sports, ie shooting jackets and shooting gloves, and giant butthooks)
Screenshot_20231209-232334.png

Next is Open Class of AAFTA (America only, < 20fpe). Defining feature here is the shooting harness, basically a backpack without the bag, that also has loops of straps that go over the knees so that the entire body becomes triangles of support, think bridges and radio towers and other architecture that utilizes the strength of triangles. Somewhat of a dying class...
Screenshot_20231209-232430.png

Finally, Hunter Class of AAFTA (America only < 20fpe). Some sort of seat, and the gun is supported by shooting sticks or a bipod. Easiest position to get into and out of. Given the average age of field target competitors in the US, this is the fastest growing class and usually has the largest number of competitors at local monthly matches, as well as the larger GPs.
Screenshot_20231209-232502.png

That's the summary of classes of field target in the United States. As for Britain, I believe there are a couple flavors, one which you mention where they have to be touching the peg. I think that is also the class where minimal scope adjustments can be made, and is often shot from prone. @BC can hopefully provide some insi ght there, as he's an American FT shooter that has also taken part in matches in the UK.

Excellent reply Frank.

That last photo, is it common to support a springer directly on the stick?

Springer shooters are becoming less and less common in field target. There will often be none, but sometimes one or two at the 3 different clubs monthly matches I attend.

But to address the question behind your question.....I suppose if they're good at consistently putting those sticks in the same place every time they probably get consistent (for a springer) POIs. I shot springer field target for awhile, about 5 years ago, and in a game where consistency matters so much, springers were a frustrating endeavor, for me at least.

Reactions: Solo1 and Struckat
Thanks to Franklink for taking the time to try to show/explain the various classes of American Field Target. It's nice that some shooters take the time to try to answer other shooters questions.

Having shot both WFTF style and open class I would amend Franklink's description of WFTF. The statement that WFTF Class uses many aids found "nowhere else in the shooting sports" is not accurate.

Shooting Jackets , shooting gloves and butt hooks are used in National high power shooting competition and Olympic shooting competition to name two. That is where WFTF got them from. (Check out 11 time High Power champ David Tubb and his equipment.)

The statement that WFTF is "typically the class utilizing the most shooting aids that you don't see in other classes of field target" is also not accurate.
There are 3 main classes in rifle for FT; Open, WFTF and Hunter. Open Class is allowed the most aids. Open may also use the jackets, gloves, and butt hooks, PLUS body straps, thigh rests and 20 ft lb guns. This is the class with the most aids allowed.

Come end of the day at any FT match any place in the world .... Those who excel in there class adhering to the class rules & technique have simply done a better job at it !!!
For many many years here in the States, those shooting OPEN as well WFTF were nearly always top scorers at major events ... FACT !!
In more recent years the bucket & stick shooting Hunter Class shooters ( No coat, No Gloves, No Butt hooks, No thigh rests, LOWER MAG OPTICS ;) )Figured it out and can and will challenge the best of the best in these above mentioned classes on setting higher knock down score. Tho it don't really matter :unsure:

What is CONSTANTLY an issue is that ALL the shooters in the various classes competing on the same course on the same day WEIGH there RESULTS on what others have done even when outside there class. So it really does not matter what aids are afforded to others in different classes and you need to deal with these restrictions in the class you shoot & make the most out of what you have to work with .. Period.

Wasn't trying to create the typical drama between classes. But rather, here in AZ, across three clubs and 7 years, WFTF shooters use the jacket AND the butt hook, AND the shooting glove, while Open shooters dont (myself included in that comparison).

I shot Open for about 4 years and don't even own a shooting glove, or shooting jacket, or giant butthook. And that goes for the other Open shooters attending the same matches here in the Southwest. While that equipment is allowed, we chose not to use it.

So yes, the Open class also allows the harness, making it the class where all the aids are allowed, but not typically used, at least in my area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo1
Wasn't trying to create the typical drama between classes. But rather, here in AZ, across three clubs and 7 years, WFTF shooters use the jacket AND the butt hook, AND the shooting glove, while Open shooters dont (myself included in that comparison).
No drama ... there are many outside the FT community who may read these threads, so just clarifying ;)

Reactions: Greg5850
For non ft shooting readers.....
This is an example of the massive butthook that I see on WFTF guns here in the Southwest. Don't see em on guns used in Hunter cuz they're not allowed, and don't see anything this exaggerated on Open class guns around here either.
Screenshot_20231211-122743.png

I've not been exposed to anything similar in any other shooting sports, but acknowledge fully that I've not seen every shooting sport.

Photos snagged off the internet...

WFTF, which is ironically the "world" variety of field target, shot all over the world, less than 12fpe (some do sit more upright, somewhat of a generalization, but this is the typically the class utilizing the most shooting aids that you don't see in other classes of field target and in some cases nowhere else in the shooting sports, ie shooting jackets and shooting gloves, and giant butthooks)
View attachment 414175

Next is Open Class of AAFTA (America only, < 20fpe). Defining feature here is the shooting harness, basically a backpack without the bag, that also has loops of straps that go over the knees so that the entire body becomes triangles of support, think bridges and radio towers and other architecture that utilizes the strength of triangles. Somewhat of a dying class...
View attachment 414176

Finally, Hunter Class of AAFTA (America only < 20fpe). Some sort of seat, and the gun is supported by shooting sticks or a bipod. Easiest position to get into and out of. Given the average age of field target competitors in the US, this is the fastest growing class and usually has the largest number of competitors at local monthly matches, as well as the larger GPs.
View attachment 414177

That's the summary of classes of field target in the United States. As for Britain, I believe there are a couple flavors, one which you mention where they have to be touching the peg. I think that is also the class where minimal scope adjustments can be made, and is often shot from prone. @BC can hopefully provide some insi ght there, as he's an American FT shooter that has also taken part in matches in the UK.
Hey Franklink and others that are curious...UK HFT is shot 80 percent on the ground, laying on a mat to keep out of the mud/dirt. The lane marker " the Peg" must be touched by the shooter while taking a shot. The butt of the rifle is allowed to rest on the ground (but nothing else) and its usually your front hand that has a shooting glove on it, (not only to rest the rifle on, but to avoid splinters, etc.) is holding the peg or pushed up against it. The prone shots are very steady, but they also shoot Unsupported standing (just like our standers) and Supported Standing (which is usually using a tree for support). Then theres the Kneelers (like ours) and supported Kneelers (again, usually against a tree of some sort, or a really long peg). The targets are placed between 8 and 45 yards. Killzones are as small as 15 mm to 40mm (but you never see a 40mm at a big shoot, only as big as 35mm). The rifle of course is less than 12 foot pounds, and they chrony on the course, and if your over the limit, youre DQd and send walking off the course. Most guys shoot 10x Optisan CP scopes, with some MTC connect 3-12x24 and 3-12x32 thrown in there. you set your parallax focus to abut 25-30 yards and are not alloowed to touch the scope during the comp. Typically targets below 18 yards are blurry and when theyre at the minimum of 8 yards, theyre really blurry. Focus is good from 19-40ish yards, then gets slightly blurry at the max 45 yards. Since theres no clicking of the scope allowed, Holdover is the method to hit a target. So between our Mark 1 eyeball, and scope blur, and maybe bracketing (very rare since course designers dont make that possible cuz it helps us out, haha) , we try to figure target distance and knock down targets. They have 30 shots per comp, 30 lanes of a single target. If you miss the face plate (which happens occasionally), you get a Zero. Hitting the face plate scores a 1 and if you knock down a target you get 2 points. Match score of possible 60. The top guys rarely missed more than a few points during a match.

side note.........around the kill zone theyre required to have a minimum of 10mm of steel, before any cuts and holes appearing in the face plates. I thought there was no way to get a Zero, until I saw the Spider web out at 45 yards with all the holes in the face plate...haha UK HFT is great fun and very rewarding when you knock down targets. I love it...................BC

Hey Franklink and others that are curious...UK HFT is shot 80 percent on the ground, laying on a mat to keep out of the mud/dirt. The lane marker " the Peg" must be touched by the shooter while taking a shot. The butt of the rifle is allowed to rest on the ground (but nothing else) and its usually your front hand that has a shooting glove on it, (not only to rest the rifle on, but to avoid splinters, etc.) is holding the peg or pushed up against it. The prone shots are very steady, but they also shoot Unsupported standing (just like our standers) and Supported Standing (which is usually using a tree for support). Then theres the Kneelers (like ours) and supported Kneelers (again, usually against a tree of some sort, or a really long peg). The targets are placed between 8 and 45 yards. Killzones are as small as 15 mm to 40mm (but you never see a 40mm at a big shoot, only as big as 35mm). The rifle of course is less than 12 foot pounds, and they chrony on the course, and if your over the limit, youre DQd and send walking off the course. Most guys shoot 10x Optisan CP scopes, with some MTC connect 3-12x24 and 3-12x32 thrown in there. you set your parallax focus to abut 25-30 yards and are not alloowed to touch the scope during the comp. Typically targets below 18 yards are blurry and when theyre at the minimum of 8 yards, theyre really blurry. Focus is good from 19-40ish yards, then gets slightly blurry at the max 45 yards. Since theres no clicking of the scope allowed, Holdover is the method to hit a target. So between our Mark 1 eyeball, and scope blur, and maybe bracketing (very rare since course designers dont make that possible cuz it helps us out, haha) , we try to figure target distance and knock down targets. They have 30 shots per comp, 30 lanes of a single target. If you miss the face plate (which happens occasionally), you get a Zero. Hitting the face plate scores a 1 and if you knock down a target you get 2 points. Match score of possible 60. The top guys rarely missed more than a few points during a match.

side note.........around the kill zone theyre required to have a minimum of 10mm of steel, before any cuts and holes appearing in the face plates. I thought there was no way to get a Zero, until I saw the Spider web out at 45 yards with all the holes in the face plate...haha UK HFT is great fun and very rewarding when you knock down targets. I love it...................BC
just like we were kids hold over/under and guessing the wind .

Reactions: BC

Good explanation of UK hft. Well done 👍.
I was a ft shooter, sat on a fat cushion. No lying in the mud for a.😉
Not getting into any conversations about but hooks
😄🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Solo1 and BC
Have any of you seen the video of Gary Chillingworth and his buddies shooting HFT standing using a tripod for a rest? Last weekend a couple of friends and myself tried that shooting NRA 1/10 scale silhouettes out to 75 yards. It was fun and challenging and something that we might add to our air rifle matches. We are a small club out here in the Midwest and don't have any field targets so used silhouettes instead.

Have any of you seen the video of Gary Chillingworth and his buddies shooting HFT standing using a tripod for a rest? Last weekend a couple of friends and myself tried that shooting NRA 1/10 scale silhouettes out to 75 yards. It was fun and challenging and something that we might add to our air rifle matches. We are a small club out here in the Midwest and don't have any field targets so used silhouettes instead.
Hey RHB, I have seen that in person in the UK, with Gary not too far away from me. I was at the Worlds HFT Comp in September and it was a blast. I shot normal UK HFT and finished midpack as I knew I would (1st attempt, as I am a FT shooter in the USA). The STICKS CLASS came about within the last year and has really caught on over there. They use the TriPod sticks and have to shoot the entire course (except the mandatory normal unsupported standers) standing, using their tripods. They dont lay on the ground like the rest of the HFT guys. The shots for the normal HFT guys that would be a under the og type of shot, thats not visible while they use their tripids, are a freebie for them. So they get 2 points on that peg. The guys there shoot 30 lanes, 2 points for a knockdown, 1 point for hitting the steel faceplate and 0 for a miss. The STICKS CLASS is harder than it looks and definately not as stable as shooting prone off the peg. But it enables the guys who dont want to get up and down off the ground, or get their clothes muddy and cold, to still keep shootin. Its gaining speed over there and I think we should come up with the same here in the USA. It could be just like in the UK and be a sticks class. Its Hunter, but STICKS. Hmmmm, lets get people thinkin and arguing over a new class...hahaha......BC