• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Uragan long .25 cal, best slug diameter

"PLEASE HELP"

Asking for input on this subject, The reason being: ideal pellets getting difficult to obtain so going to give the slugs a try out but...very expensive to try out different sizes, weights and makes. so thought id hope to save a few pennies with the help from you guys that shoot .25 Uragan's by narrowing down the options available.

Many thanks :) 

I read one method is to take a slug and push it through the barrel, then measure the grooves. This way you will know the exact fit for your particular rifle. 100ct of slugs from VarmintKnockers is around $15. Pretty cheap and you can easily resell them if you really need to cover your costs. 

EDIT - I should also add that Dale (VarmintKnockers) is very accommodating and will probably sell you a "Sampler" pack if you ask nicely. You could get 4 50ct bags of slugs of various sizes for $30. So you push one through, measure it, and chances are pretty good you'll have one or two sizes on hand to go ahead and test. Given that many people say the barrel has to be "seasoned" for a particular pellet/slug by shooting 20+ rounds, 50 rounds is probably a pretty ideal number. Again, any you dont use can be easily resold to people looking to do the exact same thing. 

My .25 Uragan is liking .2516" which I size to exact groove dia. But every bbl is different. 

My two best slugs. 34 gr and 47.2 gr. 98 fpe with the 47.2. the .34 is a np version. And I will hp the 47 soon.
DSC02820.1624428744.JPG
47.2 grin. 

DSC02817.1624428776.JPG
34 Grain. 

Knife

Emu, I design test and shoot slugs for both myself and several manufacturers. I don't however sell them as I cannot compete with the prices such as the new offerings from NSA. Much better deals. I do it simply because I enjoy it. LOL!

Knife

Here are how they look before the tumbling. Almost like polished silver. Man they shoot well. Last test, again, just over 1/4 inch at 96 yards. but a LOT of that is the lapped and fully polished CZ barrel in
DSC02829.1624526450.JPG
the Uragan. Exquisite!

DSC02824.1624526333.JPG
 I'll get a pic of the steel plate at 96 yards tomorrow. Haven't shot since. These new 47.2 grin slugs are even more accurate than the 34 gr HPls which are good in their own right.

I made a new spru plate for this mold which I used much smaller fill holes. Check out the very nice perfectly flat bases with no trace of the spru stub whatsoever. I fully sharpened and polished the edges of the cutting part of the sprue plate for very crisp/smooth cutting. 

although I hesitate to do it, I will end up hollow pointing the mold. they have to perform as well on game as the target. 

At the moment, I have it set to shoot these in the high 960's at 98 fpe. 

Here is a pic at 96 yards from the HP's but these new slugs are more consistently accurate, especially if wind is present. 
DSC02789.1624527106.JPG
DSC02790.1624527119.JPG
DSC02794.1624527134.JPG
 the plate is barely visible just to the left of the back stop mound in the trees. The group was s touch over 1/4". But they cannot do it in the wind. even a mold breeze from the wrong direction opens them up. The new slug seems to do much better in the breezes. Mike/Knife