Uragan accuracy went to heck fast

karl_h

Aug 11, 2020
sc
My compact Uragan .22 accuracy degraded extremely quickly and a lot in the last few days in the course of just one magazine. I've had it since 2017 or 18, can't remember which, and shot thousands of pellets through it, I wash my pellets. I never once cleaned it, don't mess with something that is running perfect. Pulled off the shroud and moderator and shot a few with the labradar running, accuracy possibly marginally better but still horrible. Velocities and ES were great, no problem there. Forgot how loud the sucker was without shroud and moderator, the echo off land and woods sounded louder than my 22 PB's, I'm sure it wasn't, just a much sharper higher pitched tone. So I cleaned the barrel for the first time ever. It took no time at all, and patches were not what I would call dirty at all. I didn't count, but I think I ran 3 patches with solvent on a jag, one scrub with brush, and a very few patches, maybe 5, after until they came out spotless. I'm thinking that was a waste of time, really no crud came out, and the "dirtiest" patch was really pretty clean. Shot it, and low and behold, accuracy is back. I really can't believe how little fouling was in the bore and how bad the accuracy got. I can only guess there must have been one tiny piece of lead stuck somewhere that was miraculously scattering pellets 3" at 30 yards.

Anyone else experienced large drop in accuracy with only a barely dirty bore, almost clean really before I cleaned it. Really can't stress enough how little came out of the bore.

Reactions: monstr2 and Sc0-
My compact Uragan .22 accuracy degraded extremely quickly and a lot in the last few days in the course of just one magazine. I've had it since 2017 or 18, can't remember which, and shot thousands of pellets through it, I wash my pellets. I never once cleaned it, don't mess with something that is running perfect. Pulled off the shroud and moderator and shot a few with the labradar running, accuracy possibly marginally better but still horrible. Velocities and ES were great, no problem there. Forgot how loud the sucker was without shroud and moderator, the echo off land and woods sounded louder than my 22 PB's, I'm sure it wasn't, just a much sharper higher pitched tone. So I cleaned the barrel for the first time ever. It took no time at all, and patches were not what I would call dirty at all. I didn't count, but I think I ran 3 patches with solvent on a jag, one scrub with brush, and a very few patches, maybe 5, after until they came out spotless. I'm thinking that was a waste of time, really no crud came out, and the "dirtiest" patch was really pretty clean. Shot it, and low and behold, accuracy is back. I really can't believe how little fouling was in the bore and how bad the accuracy got. I can only guess there must have been one tiny piece of lead stuck somewhere that was miraculously scattering pellets 3" at 30 yards.

Anyone else experienced large drop in accuracy with only a barely dirty bore, almost clean really before I cleaned it. Really can't stress enough how little came out of the bore.
Probably some super fine lead dust. Glad you got your accuracy back!

My guns (FX Boss, Bobcat & Royale) generally NEED cleaning about once a year but when accuracy drops off it's not gradual, happens all at once. Had it happen last week out in the field. A quick spray of Ballistol & a couple patches pulled through and it's back to normal. So, yes I've experienced exactly that.

Reactions: cavedweller
My guns (FX Boss, Bobcat & Royale) generally NEED cleaning about once a year but when accuracy drops off it's not gradual, happens all at once. Had it happen last week out in the field. A quick spray of Ballistol & a couple patches pulled through and it's back to normal. So, yes I've experienced exactly that.
My first clue was a clean miss at 17'ish yards on a squirrel, no explanation for it. Then the next day I just about took a squirrels rear leg off at the joint above it's foot. Took twice in two days for me to put a cardboard box out in the yard at 30 yards and shoot a group to see if it was me or rifle, not actually a group, after 2 shots over 3" apart I knew I had some kind of problem.

Reactions: cavedweller
My first clue was a clean miss at 17'ish yards on a squirrel, no explanation for it. Then the next day I just about took a squirrels rear leg off at the joint above it's foot. Took twice in two days for me to put a cardboard box out in the yard at 30 yards and shoot a group to see if it was me or rifle, not actually a group, after 2 shots over 3" apart I knew I had some kind of problem.
Good information

My uragan 2 700mm is like that.
Except at the moment it only takes anywhere from 50-70shots to go from a laser with 28gr zans to completely off whack (one hole at 50y to 2-3inch)
One patch with ballistol and two to three dry and they're coming out white and everything is back to normal - it's incredible and frustrating how little fouling throws it off. Hopefully it settles down a bit otherwise a good polishing is in its future. Did a light one a while ago which did nothing at all to improve the rate of fouling.

I bought my King a few years ago.
I normally clean my U's barrel while its in the action but hadn't disassembled it yet.

However recently I decided to take the barrel out to polish it. In the process of doing this I took the scope and rings off, then went to remove the pic mount, and to my dismay both the screws holding the mount to the action only had the tiniest bit of torque holding the mount down on the action! I'm pretty sure this is part of the reason why I've had POI shifts, especially because I have a heavy scope on the gun.

It's a hassle but I suggest taking the gun apart and checking all the screws.