Uragan .30 Review - part 1 - Ergonomics

I received this Air Gun Technology (AGT) Uragan .30 from Charlie Frear of Georgia Airguns the first week of April this year. Here is how it was received, less the scope mount and scope.

1590419707_16226616235ecbe0fb435ad4.11880537.jpg

3 magazines, a Donny Sumo moderator and a box of goodies, fill port, fill hose, etc. Pretty much everything you need to get started. Charlie includes a Plano, made in the USA foam lined case which protects the gun quite nicely. So lets talk about this gun and how I became it's new owner.

Air Gun Technology Uragan .30

830mm or 32.68” length

3.5Kg or 7.7lbs weight

9.7lbs with scope and mount, Vortex Diamond back 6-24x50, mounted with Vortex cantilever mount.

Now that we have some of the technical information taken care of, let’s get to the meat and potatoes of this review.

Charle Frear – Airguns of Georgia

I ordered this Uragan .30 from Charlie Frear of Georgia Airguns. Charlie was great to work with and provided a great service. I told Charlie that I was wanting a gun that could out perform a particular .25 Cricket that was being shot in competitions in Texas by another member and dear friend on this forum. I had competed against this gun as well as shot this Cricket myself and was very impressed if not somewhat disheartened in knowing it could outshoot anything in my stable of guns.

I was not shy about telling Charle Frear what I was looking for, and didn’t want to settle on anything less. Charlie was familiar with this Cricket, since he had originally done the Power Tune on the Cricket. He had heard of this guns exploits from a couple of different members of this forum, so he was familiar with it’s capabilities. (Not to take away from the talents of the crickets owner at that time, a champion in his own right) So I will get to the rest of this story in the accuracy section but for now lets talk about the Uragan and not my personal conquest.

Rather than start with what I like about the gun, lets start with what I don’t like about the gun, or better described as, “Hmmm, wonder why they did that?”

First off, I have owned a Vulcan .25 for many years, and loved the cock indicator at the back of the breach. The Uragan doesn’t have that anymore….Hmm, wonder why they did that?

The Vulcan has a slip ring around the fill port for quick access and good dust protection of the fill port. The Uragan has a “plug” located in the body of the gun, that has to be removed and kept track of….Hmm, wonder why they did that?

In all honesty, the plug is probably the best design, you can’t have the fill port on the “air tube” since there is not one with the fiber bottle, but it is just different than what I expected. In all honesty I am being a bit picky on that one, just seemed odd at first, but I like it now. Makes for easy filling and being able to see the tank pressure at the same time. Well done Evgeny! Lol.

So if you think of it this way, that is a pretty short list of things not to like.

What I like about the Uragan .30,

Now that list could get pretty lengthy, but I will try to give you the abridged version. Overall there was a lot of thought that went into this gun, that makes it a joy to shoot and handle.

Weight and balance!

Perfect! This gun feels like it is built like an armored tank yet it comes in at only 7.7lbs…yet with the way this gun is put together, it feels and carries like a gun that weighs a lot less.

The Stock is a very tactical feeling polymer composite material, very nice to the touch and secure. The stock also is very ergonomic in how it can be picked up, carried and brought to a shooting position very quickly without it feeling awkward like it might slip out of your hands. I like carry points on a gun that I can get my hand around or into. The thumb hole brace material that runs from the bottom of the pistol grip to the stock, is the perfect size to get my whole hand around to carry or move the gun. I just like that!

Cheek weld!

If you have ever had a Vulcan like mine, the top of the cheek weld was metal, probably aluminum? Not sure, but it was metal, it was cold, it works. The Uragan has the same type of cheek weld but it is not metal, it seems to be a polymer type material and is very comfortable but yet is secure and feels solid. Nice going Evgeny, very nice touch. Sometimes it’s the little things that matter.

Picatinny rails top and bottom.

That’s the way to do it in my opinion. If you want some capabilities to add any accessory, it’s a great feature when the manufacture builds in attach points whether it be Picatinny or Mlok or some other widely used interface. The pic rail on the bottom is perfect for a bipod in my application. A light could be added for night time hunting as well. Nice touch on the pic rails!

1590420785_14763005275ecbe53126e1c0.71376523.jpg

Magazines

The magazines are built to last, they are supper easy to load and are of the simplest design.

Action

Everything feels solid and made to last. The action is smooth and without hesitation. Very nice tactile feedback as you are moving from closed to open to closed. Now here is the really nice feature, you can install and remove magazine with one hand. Oh, that is so nice…coming from someone who owns a cricket. (I still love my cricket, more on that later)

Threaded Barrel

We all know that there is a need on occasion to add a moderator. In this case the M14x1.25 threads are ready. The gun comes with a screw on and off thread protector that is well made and knurled perfectly for hand tightening and removal. I have a DonnyFL Sumo moderator on my .30 cal and it is truly a very effective addition. I also think the addition of the moderator has a positive impact on the natural harmonic of the gun at this particular tune. It seems to be much more settled in its post trigger pull movement than without. With that said, I can’t say it’s not less accurate without the moderator in some situations.

Trigger and safety

The Uragan trigger is adjustable. The forward located safety action is a favorite of mine. I have not adjusted my trigger yet and I did not really specify to Charlie Frear of Georgia Airguns how I wanted it adjusted, so I assume it is as it came from the factory. With that said it is two stages, and right now the second stage is releasing at an average of 1lb and 0.3oz.

Well that about covers the basics, in the next part of the review I will discuss shooting, shot count and accuracy.

Hope you enjoyed my write up, remember this is just my thoughts and opinions and I'm only trying to share as so many before me have done as well. Have a great day and happy shooting!

WAIT! Did Hell just freeze over? 

The Man That Owns Only .25 Caliber Bullpups... MANY Only .25 Caliber Bullpups... got a different caliber? I think the Earth just changed polarity!

Excellent write-up, .25 Or Die! Not only in substance, but written composition. SO REFRESHING! Suffice to say, "you've got my attention".

The only Uragan I've seen belongs to the other forum member mentioned in your post, and I was hugely impressed with it. Think you're in for a lot of fun testing of that awesome .30 Uragan, and am really looking forward to reading results of velocity, shot-count, and (especially) accuracy testing.

BTW, I'll give a crispy, new fifty-dollar bill for that .25 Cricket trot-line weight! 😮

Reactions: FunGun
Go Big or Go Home they say, or is it they say, "If you can't beat em, join em!"? Yep, I finally broke with tradition (.25) and went for the .30 cal. Big D said I should, matter of fact he said I deserved it. LOL! Now as far as your kind offer to purchase "my" .25 Cricket, (boat anchor/trot-line weight) I'm afraid I am going to have to pass for right now...but thanks for the offer! Its a hoot to shoot!