Uragan 22 tries out some new ammo (slugs) today and gets out to 100yds finally

I picked up an Uragan 22 in trade a while back and have only really shot 18.1gr JSBs out of it, because that is what it was set up for. It is tuned to around 935 FPS with a nice and tight spread. It will group well at 50, which is mostly all I've shot except for a quick card one day at 100, just to get an idea of what it would do. Everything below is trying stuff out with my current tune, and not trying to maximize shooting for any other ammo. And I'm not a great shooter, so I can't blame the pellets completely with just a one day sample either! This is not a scientific study...

• 18.1gr - I like how inexpensive it is to shoot these pellets after coming from .30 pellets. They can group well at 50 and usually stay around 1MOA, but are more susceptible to the wind than I was used to with the .30. That is taking some getting used to, but I enjoy that it will also make me a better shooter. At 50, it can keep the pellets touching, but as the wind moves around, so do the groups. I didn't really group with them today at 50, only set up my new scope, so I could try out the other ammo and longer distances. 
    • So how did I do today at 100yards with 5-6mph wind? Not that great. The groups were around 2-2.5MOA, but had a pretty sizeable vertical spread even with a tight tune with minimal spread and SD. Not that impressed, but I didn't expect to be with 18gr pellets. There was some potential, so I'll keep testing it out. I expected these to be the hardest to shoot well at 100.
  • 25.4gr RD - I know the gun is tuned for the 18gr, but I had to test out the can of RD I've had sitting on the shelf. Started at 50, and while the groups dropped down and to the right, they were all hitting all over each other. I was very pleasantly surprised. The spread was about like my 18gr, but the speed dropped to 827 FPS. I actually really really liked these at 50 yards. They just kept hitting all over one another. Groups were small just like the 18gr, but the groups didn't move around much at all. They stayed in about the same spot for each mag. I might pick up some more of these to try some fun 50 yard paper shooting games. I can't wait to see if I can actually beat the 18gr consistently at 50. 
    • So how did it do at 100 yards in those same 5-6mph wind? HORRIBLE!!! We know these need to be pushed harder to get the best out of them, and that was confirmed today at 100. The were all over the place at 100. Picture a shotgun pattern (actually my turkey shot pattern looks better!). They went everywhere. I had to move to shooting the center of the sheet of paper to find them, that is how all over the place they were. I know I won't be shooting them at 100 with this tune!
  • 17.5 NSA .2165 - I had heard these do well in the Uragan, so I picked up some from another fella on here to try out. My Uragan, with this tune, does not like these slugs. They had the smallest spread and tightest SD of everything today, shooting 925FPS, but they could not group at all. At 50 and 100 both, they were consistently 2MOA. At 50, most of them were not touching but stayed around 0.9-1", and then stayed right at 1.9" at 100 across most of the groups. That being said, they did have one of the best groups at 100 on the day of 0.83, but it was a fluke. they just didn't were not consistent. 
  • 20.2 NSA .217 - I like these A LOT!!!! It didn't matter if I was shooting at 50 yds or 100 yds, these babies really wanted to stay together. The spread and SD like all the ammo today was very nice, and it didn't change with these. They averaged 868 FPS. At 50yards these were a touch tighter than the 18 and 25 gr pellets and at 0.23", had the best 5 shot group at 50 on the day. Like the RD pellets, the groups stayed tight and barely seemed to move. 
    • At 100 yards, with only 1 card, the measurements didn't jump off the page as amazing, because the last magazine blew up the average, but it was obvious that these have potential! I had the best group at 0.78" and until that final mag, they had the potential of being very close to 1MOA at 100 across the groups. I saved these for last after seeing how well they did at 50, and it was nice not have to look far to find the holes. The first group was 1.16" and it put a big smile on my face! The next group was 1.59" and I'm not sure what happened there. Then I came back with the small 0.78" group. Fourth group was sitting at 0.99" until the 5th shot took the group to 1.85. Where did that shot come from!!!! And then the final group was bad at 1.95" I should have paid more attention to which magazine I was using there at the end to test it out some more. 

Anyway, I just wanted to share some Uragan shooting, because there isn't much on here for them. I shared a little when I first picked it up and people enjoyed it, so I thought I would share some more. Small sample size, but after 4 hours of shooting. I am very happy! It was fun to try out some new ammo and see if any of it would like the current tune. I am very happy to find some more ammo that likes the tune, so I can stick with it, pick up some more ammo and do some more comparisons. 

Here are few pics of the 100yd groups. These were shot for groups, not for score, as I was testing out what the ammo would do for the first time. I put the reticle on the center and pulled the trigger. I didn't take any sighters, and just pulled ammo straight from the can/bag, good or bad. I did adjust the scope shooting the 17.5gr after the 2nd group and after the 3rd group, but didn't make any other adjustments on the other cards. I forgot to take a new pic of the gun, so I'll attach an older pic with the previous scope. Need to get a new pic of her. 
1594499357_9251409915f0a211defd7b5.12122656.jpeg
1594499359_3293489515f0a211f685640.87891787.jpeg
1594499359_6815199755f0a211fd3f357.35660369.jpeg
1594499360_7152221155f0a212046cbd0.42509588.jpeg

Thanks for the information, I also get poor results with the redesigneds.

@Cernicalo64

To be clear, I am shooting the RDs MUCH slower than I need to be for optimal performance, so I expected them to be suboptimal. So, I believe the performance would easily improve with those if I changed the tune to work for them at 100 Yards. But I would need to add at least another 100FPS for those and I don’t really want that at this time. I like being able to shoot the cheaper ammo consistently at shorter ranges. And if I can then shoot those 20gr slugs on the same tune with good accuracy at 100 I will be thrilled!

Always remember that your rifle may shoot something crappy on the current tune, but can shoot those same pellets very well if you change your settings to what the ammo likes. I am not ready to do that. I like where it is at, so I’m curious what else I can shoot right now. If my shooting changes and I decide that 100 yards is more important, I might look into making a change. 

Awesome write and excellent data. I have been hearing so much about these Uragans, is there any trust that they are rather limited in their tunability? I mean that as they may not have a lot of provided adjustment on the PCP to adjust either operating pressure, hammer preload, valve dwell, or transfer port flow.

Any infos would be appreciated.

Thanks again for a very detailed and info packed post.

Hajimoto

This is a question better suited for some of our tuners around here, like @zx10wall and some others. He is the one I’ve seen wrote the most about them. This one was not tuned by me, hence the reason I don’t want to change the tune. 

I can say that how to tune is not as obvious as some other rifles nowadays for sure, with external adjustment knobs. It was obvious on my FX, but was nonexistent with my Daystates. Reading the original long post on adjusting these, it seems like the reg and hammer spring were the pieces that were readily adjustable, if you know what you are doing, but I don’t remember reading about the finer things like dwell and flow. It seems as adjustable as some others like the Cricket or Veteran but just requires more effort. My 0.02.

I also appreciate the feedback.