Tuning Uragán 2

B8BDEA5D-4031-405E-9BE6-6F9A8A048E69.jpeg

Acquired a .25 Uragán 2. Here’s a short sequence of what I’ve experienced ~

The balanced valve is, okay. The new reg works fine. I do like less cocking effort due to not needing a strong hammer spring as this is an easy to open valve. You basically tune this system with only the reg. The hammer spring tension seems to do very little. In fact, I bypassed the reg and put 235 bar on the valve and the same hammer strike that can open the 140 bar reg (as set from factory) can also open the valve with 235 bar easily.

I’ve heard AGT now has a dual barrel transfer port on some barrels. This U2 does not. I worked this single transfer port for better flow dynamics. Why? Because no factory, I’ve seen product come from shapes a transfer port for optimal flow! I upped reg to 160 bar. It is a non-choked 700mm CZ barrel.

I tested 8 different slugs. The 2 best are the Zan 41gr (948 fps) and the Altaros Smooth 49.5gr (880 fps). This accuracy testing was done at an indoor range at 100 yards. You may see in the below pictures some pellet tins. These tins are only used to contain slugs as that is all I tested being this is the projectile type for my intended purpose and reason for owning this .25 U2. The pictures groups are not cherry picked. They are what I achieve in a short compressed testing session. This is a no embellishment, just fact, no unicorn sighting post. I’ve seen and you’ve seen the fairy 🧚‍♀️ tales! Take it or leave it, I’m just sharing.

This U2 does have a slow leak! It is coming from the balanced valve. AGT has created a gen 2 valve which remedied this issue. I expect to take delivery of the gen 2 parts in 8-10 days. Cheers!

37303CB9-E5FE-4BDC-B62E-CB7F0716EE3F.jpeg
8C26272D-6D1F-4F57-8763-626ABAEC2CBB.jpeg
8833358F-69E4-422A-B07F-BA61BA5CD389.jpeg

5BA6B0F1-85D7-4533-A050-D17EBCE4D7B7.jpeg

C404EE47-7250-4BA5-8E4F-064C7F9F5401.jpeg

324A9E28-346D-4498-B552-5597DEB50E0E.jpeg

Last edited:
Great job Derrick. Looking forward to the “fine tuning” report on those Altaros 49.5 grain boat tail slugs. With a G1 BC of 0.21 they are by far the highest Airgun slug on the market and the fact that your U2 likes them is awesome. Significantly better BC than a .22LR Rimfire subsonic round.
At 880 fps some that don’t understand ballistics might say “why so slow?”
The answer is- it’s not.

Take a look at the ballistics compared to a relatively high BC “regular” slug, the 41 grain ZAN at 950 fps.
200Y with 10mph cross wind results in an 8.6mil drop from 50Y zero and 2mil wind drift, which is 14 inches.
Those exact same conditions with the Altaros 49.5 grain at 880 fps result in a 9mil drop (only 4 inches more despite the 70 fps speed differential) and a 1.0mil drift, which is 7 inches.

ONE HALF THE WIND DRIFT OF THE HEAVY ZAN SLUG, or any other regular slug like the 43.5 NSA or 42 grain H&N Heavy.

Last edited:
Derrick, just curious which one do you like better, the U2 or V3? I'm interested to know why from you because you know what the differences are.

Haven't tried the Zan's but those A/49.5's shoot great in my U1K.
They both shoot slugs well. The V3 is simply more powerful. It’s got a massive 120cc plenum when configured in the XL plenum.

I like the U2 a lot though. The Uragán has a lower height from bottom rail to scope rail. This makes it better for barricade shooting, IMO.

Both have a lot to like and some things that could be added or changed to improve them. I really think it’s all about individual choice and the intended purpose for your tool.

Do either of them have that nasty "ping" sound when you shoot? I hate that sound.
The V3 does when in the XL plenum. I’ve remedied this with a simple depinger in the plenum. Even with this depinger, I’d guesstimate the volume at 95cc and still more than enough!

Last edited:
Reactions: cavedweller
Nice groups for a short sequence of shooting. Strange you don't have much adjustment with your hammer spring though. I see why your not to impressed with the balance valve.
Sounds like the your hammer spring is way more than needed if it can open at 245 bar. They probablly did that to prevent sticksion. Known issue for a balance valve.
Does the gun get quieter as you up the reg. setting with a higher FPS. and oddly more effeceint too at the same HS amount?

The physics behind HPA and diameter make the balance valve a no brainer. Gun manufactures will perfect them. Just like regulators.
The Balance valve I put in my Cricket .25 will adjust from an accidental low of 106 FPS, to over 925+ FPS @ a 140 bar setting, with a 45gr. BT slug using the HS adjuster I made. I know there's no way I could open my .385" poppet with the HS in mine @ 245 bar. I had a lot of what the hell days tring to get it right.
Sorry Derreck, I'm not so interested in your gun or slugs. Just how well one part of it does.

Reactions: zx10wall
Nice groups for a short sequence of shooting. Strange you don't have much adjustment with your hammer spring though. I see why your not to impressed with the balance valve.
Sounds like the your hammer spring is way more than needed if it can open at 245 bar. They probablly did that to prevent sticksion. Known issue for a balance valve.
Does the gun get quieter as you up the reg. setting with a higher FPS. and oddly more effeceint too at the same HS amount?

The physics behind HPA and diameter make the balance valve a no brainer. Gun manufactures will perfect them. Just like regulators.
The Balance valve I put in my Cricket .25 will adjust from an accidental low of 106 FPS, to over 925+ FPS @ a 140 bar setting, with a 45gr. BT slug using the HS adjuster I made. I know there's no way I could open my .385" poppet with the HS in mine @ 245 bar. I had a lot of what the hell days tring to get it right.
Sorry Derreck, I'm not so interested in your gun or slugs. Just how well one part of it does.
To be honest, I just didn’t need to adjust on the hammer spring as of yet. Once I get the AGT gen 2 balanced valve installed, I’ll get more serious about fine tuning. The leak on the first balanced valve doesn’t leave a great impression. Hopefully all that is remedied.

Reactions: Centercut