• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Uragan 2 .22 Slug performance

Hello All!

I've got an Uragan 2 .22 600mm FAC in stock configuration. If AGT is to be believed, its unchocked.
Its laser acurate with the JSB 18gr and it has been really reliable and plenty of shots with on fill. I love the gun.

The thing is, I bought this gun to also try slugs for longer range. With some wind the pellets are only reliable up to 40-50m. I used it for hunting and sometimes it woul be great to have the accuracy at 80-100m.
I've tryed at least 15 different kind of slug with different diameters and weights. The best results so far were with HN 21gr .218. But even these are not that great at 50m, with a much wider spread then pellets.

Am I lacking in power? If my chinese chrono is anything to go by, its shooting the 21gr at around 880fps.
I know I can just crack it open and give a bit more ooompth on the regulator, maybe a 1/8 turn to try it out. But Its a lot of work for something thats just works. I'm afraid that it wont be any better and I could mess something up and be less reliable.
On the other hand I would get to know the insides better and I could also get better groups with the 25gr pellets that have better BC and deal with wind better even if the slugs wont be great.

Any way, do you think my U2 could be a good slug gun?

No, and no. :/

The slug part is doable, but how do I know the twist rate?

Cleaning rod with cotton tip inserted full length, mark a line on rod at muzzle end and start pulling the rod out, once that rod completes a full rotation measure the length between muzzle and line, that is your twist rate.

This will give you an idea of the optimal weight slug for your barrel, from there you can slug the barrel to determine the optimal diameter.

-Matt