Upsizing moderators

A moderator that is exactly made for your caliber will be its most efficient and quiet. 

That being said it is still standard practice to upsize 1 caliber, this prevent pellet clipping and a potential turbulence issue, but only low end ones will have a turbulence issue like the cheaper 3d printed ones. Going on size larger also gives you the ability to use it on that larger size in the future and have 1 moderator for 2 different calibers. 

My 22 caliber Donny Fl moderator is much quieter then the 30cal Donny Fl moderator on a 22 cal gun, the 30 cal moderator doesn't even really make a difference in sound level on a 22cal, it just makes it sound lower to the shooter, but the DB meter says they are the same noise level, its a audio illusion.

On My Hatsan 25cal QE since I left all the factory baffles in it I used a 30cal moderator to prevent clipping, If I would of eliminated the factory QE baffles then I would of went with a 25cal moderator.

I think ideally its a moderator for your exact caliber, but its just so much more economical and more handy to have 1 moderator for 2 calibers. I would only ever upsize 1 caliber, 

a .22 for a .177, or a .25 for a .22, or a 30 for a 25cal etc. I wouldn't size up more then 1 as it just seems to be more looks then function at that point. 

Does the larger size make it less accurate for any reason ?

I don't think so, just less efficient and quiet, but in theory a good suppressor that strips air away from the pellet just like a air stripper and could actually aid in accuracy. But I don't think in general to larger diameter one will cause inaccuracy. But it could cause a unforeseen turbulence which could affect accuracy but I think its not likely in most Air Guns and suppressors. 

Having to upsize a moderator is a direct reflection of the build quality of the gun. If the gun is built right, you won’t clip with a caliber specific mod. I won’t use a .30cal mod on a .22 gun. I fix what the manufacturer did wrong. There has been so much whining about clipping that I imagine certain mod makers are now recommending you upsize just to save himself the grief. The alternative would be him telling you that you bought a crap gun. Guys don’t want to hear that about their new toy so guys like Donny just recommend an upsize or make them dual caliber so they don’t have to argue with who’s fault it is anymore.

Having to upsize a moderator is a direct reflection of the build quality of the gun. If the gun is built right, you won’t clip with a caliber specific mod. I won’t use a .30cal mod on a .22 gun. I fix what the manufacturer did wrong. There has been so much whining about clipping that I imagine certain mod makers are now recommending you upsize just to save himself the grief. The alternative would be him telling you that you bought a crap gun. Guys don’t want to hear that about their new toy so guys like Donny just recommend an upsize or make them dual caliber so they don’t have to argue with who’s fault it is anymore.

So, surely couldn't be a problem with the moderator, eh?

+1. I've never had to go up in caliber because of clipping. 

its best to get one that fits ALL the guns you want to use it on ... i use a donny sumo 22/25 size on 17 22 and 25 - 6 guns total .. there is no noticeable relation to noise level or performance on any ,other factors affect things much more than a couple hundreths of an difference in pea hole size ... now if you have a 1/4" at 150y accuracy tack driver will it matter .. well if you put 'anything' at all on that its gonna change something ... count on it ..

Huggett is another great brand with wonderful customer service. I think of it like this in my personal opinion, which I learned from Yen. If my moderator will Mount on or close to the Barrel (such as an FX, uragan, etc) Get a caliber specific and it works really well and efficient. If you have a lot of shroud space, such as a Airforce talon for example, you definitely need a caliber bigger. Alignment just simpler can’t be perfect. For Donny he always makes moderators for two calibers, 22-25. Or 25-30. With him caliber specific is the second number. 

Then I would say that you are a very lucky man. But then again, I've never seen your long range group sizes either. Turbulence is common. More common than clipping and it really shows up at longer ranges. 

KnifeMaker

I have a Donny FL Sumo and a Huma30 -4/0. Both in .30 cal for my 25's. Both do an equally good job.

I wouldn't buy another 25 cal moderator for a 25 after owning an unknown brand that has clipping issues. That third moderator works really well when the gun is shooting at it's lowest power. Crank up the air to normal usage and shots scatter. IMO whatever the sound efficiency is of a tight fit to the pellet is not worth it.

Then I would say that you are a very lucky man. But then again, I've never seen your long range group sizes either. Turbulence is common. More common than clipping and it really shows up at longer ranges. 

KnifeMaker

Even though we were just talking about sound and clipping, Knife brings up a very good point. I’m personally not a fan of a Donny. I use two other brands that size for size are more quiet. But I use a Donny on two of my guns because those guns shoot the best with his mods on them. 

Good timing this post, I have a new cricket 2 in .30 that is very accurate last week I received my new SUMO in .30 and my pellets clips on the way out of the moderator contacted Donny who was very nice to deal with he said it could just have an off center end and is sending me a new one will follow up when I receive it.

note I never used a moderator before so this is all new to me and I am hoping the new moderator works well