• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Upsizing moderators

The Donny silencers are good, but the 2 best I've used are Weihrauch and Hogan (English). Bought the Hogan from Krale. I think it's easy to overemphasize dB reduction as a sole determining factor of performance. Obviously, it's important, but so is the sound signature. If sound is reduced a bit more by one model, but it still sounds like a shot, maybe it's not the best for that rifle.

Some silencers deliver a popping sound, it's quieter, but still pops like a shot. Others will deliver a different type of sound, kind of a rushing air sound, hard to describe, but a very audible difference. If you were to gently tap a cymbal with a drum stick, it would still sound like a cymbal. If you hold it with one hand to muffle it, and tap it with a rubber hammer, it might be louder, but it no longer sounds like a cymbal.

The Donny silencers are good, but the 2 best I've used are Weihrauch and Hogan (English). Bought the Hogan from Krale. I think it's easy to overemphasize dB reduction as a sole determining factor of performance. Obviously, it's important, but so is the sound signature. If sound is reduced a bit more by one model, but it still sounds like a shot, maybe it's not the best for that rifle.

I second the Weihrauch, got my hands on the new XL-K. Accuracy on my 30ft/Lbs Wolverine went from very good to jaw dropping awesome.

I hear what you are saying.
1f62c.svg
That makes sense. Some of my set ups make more of a popping tinny kind of sound and others make a whoosh.

It also depends on the state of tune that your gun is in. A perfectly tuned .25 or below shouldn’t need anything longer than a 5 inch mod to make it quiet. A gun that’s wasting air on a bad tune will need a giant can to silence it.