UPS Shipping Question

When the UPS driver told me "maybe because you're not a registered user", he did not actually know for sure. I think it surprised him too. I've had no trouble shipping any items via UPS. When I get to the point of paying and printing my label on my home computer, it always asks what I'm shipping. ALWAYS. I'm not going to lie about it. I'll just ship airguns via USPS the next time, if I decide to sell one again.

Last year I tried to sell a rifle scope on Facebook Marketplace. They would not let me list it because it was a "gun item". I protested and said it was on optical telescope for a rifle, not a gun. They said no anyway but let me sell a folding shooting bench with no problems. I think the people who screen these items are a brick shy of a full load.

I am surprised at the number of folks who are suggesting that the shipper lie about the contents to avoid a carrier's rules.

First wouldn't it be better to just not do business with people who don't want to ship your item?

Second after you have lied to them how could you possibly make a claim if your item is damaged?

And third what does it say about you personally on a public forum where you may eventually want to do business? I'm not going to buy something from someone who would lie to the shipper would you? If you will lie to the shipper you will lie to me.

I'm concerned that these "woke" carriers and the people who work for them are going to harm or destroy the sport. Which I'm sure is their goal. There is no law against shipping an airgun. I believe Fedex refuses - I have always understood USPS and UPS to accept airguns. I'm talking about from private individuals, not FFLs. IMO it is an interference with commerce for a carrier to refuse an item that is lawful to ship. Any state or local laws that amount to an interference with interstate commerce constitute a violation of the US Constitution. I would argue that national (and international) private carriers are effectively a "public accommodation" and should be subject to the same rules.

Each place has different rules and different standards. So each will be different. If the rifle has a scope on it, then yes there is a glass object inside the package. You are not lying you are using creative wording to describe what is inside. I was told by my local ups shipper to do just that. Because if you use the word "Gun" in any capacity then it has the possibility of getting kicked back. So don't use that word.

How many have actually had to file a claim with any shipper over anything that was damaged? You can be as descriptive as you want to, they will still deny it for what ever reason they want. So even being truthful with the contents of the package doesn't mean you will get anywhere with them. So make the contents "sound" as breakable as possible to make sure they are careful with the package.

I have online accounts with all of these carriers and have never been asked about contents of a package-just specify insured dollar amount but then again I have had these accounts to close to 20 years so maybe grandfathered in!

Don't mess with the franchised stores other than drop off points-they are incredibly expensive (mark up carrier fees to make their money) and they are always CYA everything because they are an independent operator and don't want to take chances.

Shipping has become complicated!