UPS Shipping Question

I tried to ship an air rifle to a buyer via UPS yesterday. I started to print out a shipping label but the item was "restricted" because it was an air gun. UPS delivers air guns to me, I wonder why? This is not a real firearm. Anybody have any suggestions? I took it to a UPS shipper and had no problems, just cost me $20 more.

Did you take the rifle to USPS first?

If so, I believe that this was simply that one particular store/location where it was not clear the difference between an airgun and a firearm. I have shipped airguns through the US Post Office many times. I never have any problem when I answer "air rifle" on the rare occasion I'm asked the contents of the package.

On the-other-hand, I have had new employees at UPS hesitate to accept the package when told it contains an air rifle. A manager or supervisor has always intervened to accept the package. One lone employee had to call the store owner at home to clarify that an air rifle was acceptable.😊

It seems that a lot of folks take this shipping thing as a kind of challenge, and proceed to find ways to get prohibited things accepted. Just remember, if you misrepresent the contents, you should consider it self-insured, because a claim would be very unlikely to pass insurance review for payment. Should the ruse involve a firearm (not an air gun), then Alphabet org penalties may apply.

Package it at your house and then you don't have to deal with it.

When asked I have told them it was a glass sculpture and extremely fragile. Also tell them it is a one off custom part and they typically with handle it extremely well ;) Have also told them the contents were a linear lead accelerator used in scientific experiments. Don't EVER tell them what it actually is.

I boxed the airgun and got on the UPS website to pay for and to print a shipping label. I was about ready to pay when I had to describe the contents. I wanted to be honest so I told the truth, an airgun. They said "restricted".

So I took it to my local UPS shipper and they didn't ask me any questions about the content. The UPS truck dropped off an HW30s to me today and I asked the driver about my situation. He said it was because I wasn't a verified, or registered shipper. I guess that makes some sense, but still annoying.

Does your employer use a specific shipping source?? Most companies that use someone like UPS for everyday shipments are considered " authorized" shippers. If your company will allow it ( dont know why they wouldnt) just ship it thru your company!! No questions ask, easy insurance coverage as they are " authorized" and a much cheaper rate !!! I used the shops where I worked over the years to ship and recieve all my airguns. Great tax write off for business expenses for your company and you can easily reimburse them for your shipments. I always listed them as a BB gun, collector edition if they were expensive models. Did have a few claims over the years, but never an issue collecting the insurance....being an " authorized" shipping agent makes all the difference in the world !!!

Yes, if a company is an authorized shipper for UPS, then they accept the shipper's packaging. But, the issue seemingly ignored by all, is FRAUD! If you lie about the contents, and an insurance claim review reveals it, there are several potential damaging consequences. Just be sure that you're making an informed decision.

If listed as sporting goods, or a BB gun, or a toy, where is that fraud?? Now if you claim a vase then yes!! I never recomend fraud nor have I ever commited fraud. On one my claims I used machined parts as I only shipped a partial action, no stock. I always take pictures and used them for the ins claim...no issues !! Because a company does a volume business, they are entrusted to follow the rules...UPS does not rule out airguns, only restrictions are for hand guns!! very little restrictions on long guns but handguns require next day delivery. It is the individual franchises that restrict what they ship not the main shipping company!!! You are required to follow federal regulations....the most important one is ANY type of gun cannot be loaded, even our airguns follow that rule. I have worked for many different tool shops over the years, employees were always allowed to use the company shippers, most ofvthe time shipping was as much as 30% less expensive!!

Yes, if a company is an authorized shipper for UPS, then they accept the shipper's packaging. But, the issue seemingly ignored by all, is FRAUD! If you lie about the contents, and an insurance claim review reveals it, there are several potential damaging consequences. Just be sure that you're making an informed decision.

If listed as sporting goods, or a BB gun, or a toy, where is that fraud?? Now if you claim a vase then yes!! I never recomend fraud nor have I ever commited fraud. On one my claims I used machined parts as I only shipped a partial action, no stock. I always take pictures and used them for the ins claim...no issues !! Because a company does a volume business, they are entrusted to follow the rules...UPS does not rule out airguns, only restrictions are for hand guns!! very little restrictions on long guns but handguns require next day delivery. It is the individual franchises that restrict what they ship not the main shipping company!!! You are required to follow federal regulations....the most important one is ANY type of gun cannot be loaded, even our airguns follow that rule. I have worked for many different tool shops over the years, employees were always allowed to use the company shippers, most ofvthe time shipping was as much as 30% less expensive!!

I agree. In the scenario you describe, I think you would be fine. Of course, the other big issue is UPS "insurance" vs real, third-party insurance. Something to consider in high value items.