• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

UPS - no firearms shipping policy

Why would they even know there is a gun inside? Do you walk in screaming i got a gun? Lol. I've shipping with usps and ups and FedEx for over 20 years. And never do they ask or make you tell them whats inside the box. They usually only ask if it's fragile or perishable. I just say no. They weight it and you pay and walk out. Dont need to make it more complicated than it need to be. They have no right to open your package to check whats in it. So how would they know there is even a gun. Maybe don't tell them next time?
Key is a plain brown box and keep your mouth shut. Heck the guy over at my local Postal Annex helped me pack one and we had a great conversation.

Why would they even know there is a gun inside? Do you walk in screaming i got a gun? Lol. I've shipping with usps and ups and FedEx for over 20 years. And never do they ask or make you tell them whats inside the box. They usually only ask if it's fragile or perishable. I just say no. They weight it and you pay and walk out. Dont need to make it more complicated than it need to be. They have no right to open your package to check whats in it. So how would they know there is even a gun. Maybe don't tell them next time?
Mostly it boils down to if you insure it or not. If it’s insured they want to know what it is and if you file a claim they want proof of value.

In my experience third party carriers (non USPS) ask what the contents are. These aren’t governmental agencies and you do not have an expectation of privacy. Furthermore, generalized terms like “sporting goods” or “machined parts” may or may not be accepted.

Went to my local UPS center on Monday to ship an air rifle back to AOA for service. Big new sign at the counter said in bold print “No Longer Shipping Firearms.”

Counter manager said the only way one can ship a “firearm” is if you get a call tag/label from a licensed manufacturer or dealer that has “registered as such with UPS” in advance.

He said that no one had instructed that he couldn’t take a pellet gun or air rifle yet, so he went ahead and accepted my shipment.

Went back the next evening to ship an air rifle that I had sold via AGN classifieds , only to have to argue with the female clerk that the new policy didn’t apply to airguns. I finally convinced her to accept it.

The world continues to change and not in our favor.
Use pirate shipping and pre print your labels and drop off at other ups drop sites

My local UPS Store won't accept anything "gun" related, I can't even ship a scope! Fortunately, the local UPS Driver, who is on our street at least 5-6 times a week has no probalem with me just flaggin him down for a pick-up! No pick-up charge and I just print my own label. He could care less what's inside the box!
Never use ups stores they are a rip off anyway

Reactions: Jlowe
I've
Same 👍👍👍👍👍

This isn't anything new. UPS has been doing this for years and its simply just because the counter person doesn't know what the difference between an airgun and a firearm is. Just avoid the term "gun" all together and refer to it as a "tool" or "pneumatic hole punch". Problem solved and you're telling the truth.
I label them workout equipment. I use a hand pump often, so definitely not a lie.

Guys, there is going to be a new headwind coming when it comes to shipping. Biden’s latest executive order mandates that more purchases even between private sellers go through a background check and provide proof of a FFA license. Of course this is not meant for air guns or defined as such to my knowledge. However, the end result will be even more hesitance from clueless shipping company workers to ship an air gun. I would even bet that UPS/FedEx will start doing more regular x-ray checks of packages for anything that looks like a gun.

PS. I think I heard he’s assigned Pete Buttigieg to address transportation of guns throughout the US. I have no clue what he’s going to address but whatever it is it won’t be good for shipping airguns.

-Marty

Sometimes I label mine as "Pneumatic Paper Punch"!
If they ask what that is I tell them it's a device that punches hole in paper and that this is one of the high end models!

But, it's a good idea to have the rules of the shipping company handy in case you come up against a clerk that hasn't;t been fully educated on the matter.

Reactions: RAMJET66