Upper Tier - what would you buy?

S&B 3x27 with optional King Parrot 

2919E0B6-B2A7-4AD2-9E77-DC7089599510.1640216493.jpeg

An amazing scope. Probably more a hunting scope than target still pretty darn good. 

My next upper tier optic is going to be a ZCO 5-27×56 ZC527 which will be mounted on my next best PCP when I get it. For US customers, their warranty repair is done in Idaho if any problems should arise.

Kahles K525i is another great option. I just got mine back from repair lol. If I had to do it all over again, I would get the K525i DLR. It has 10 mils per revolution vs the 16 mils that the standard model comes in. It also comes with an extended top parallax focus wheel and cat tail throw lever. Field of view is also wider on the DLR model.

Another one on your list I have experience with is the March-FX 4.5-28x52 High Master. I love the large field of view with the wide angle lens. Focuses down to 10 yards, weight is pretty decent for a 34mm tube coming in at 29.8 ounces. It's a great optic considering how short it is at 12.5" overall length. It also comes with a lot of doodads; Sunshade, PTL, lens caps, larger elevation turret with bigger numbers that slips over the original one, and a larger parallax side wheel. Love the FML-TR1 reticle that it comes with. I have to say it's my favorite reticle so far.

I also have an Athlon Cronus BTR Gen2 4.5-29x56. For the price, I'm super impressed. Optical clarity is up there even when compared to my Kahles and March-FX on bright sunny days. In low light, the Kahles and March edge it out though. If it matters to you, illumination on the Cronus is the brightest I've ever seen. Day time bright. I wish my Kahles and March were on the same level in regards to illumination. Turret clicks are very positive with no slop.

Good luck on your decision.

Thanks for all the input from the group, appreciate the input and still processing through and pricing all the great options out. Partially holding out for a few more days to see if any great used scopes pop up after Christmas. 

I wish there were more reviews out their on the Sightron SVIII 5-40x56 ed, if it wasn't for the size and weight I would have already bought it at the sales price. I have always wanted to get behind a S&B or March. That S&B 3×27 @AirSupply should above is a pretty sweet package.

My Athlon Ares ETR 3-18×50 is clearer and brighter than my NX8 was to my eyes. And the eye relieve or as some say eye box is bigger. But it is a little heavier. I Looked thru the higher power Ares at AOA and it was a nice scope. I would have one if the parallax went down to ten yards like the 3-18. Turning the power down on the 4.5-30 I could focus on the license plate numbers in their parking lot so it would be usable at the lower power but since the parallax is not gone your check weld would be critical to keep the impact from wandering. This was all by holding the scope in my hands, not a great way to judge a scope. I hear it rumored Athlon is coming out with airgun scopes this year. I emailed them about this. Their answer was they are not ready yet. May be worth a wait.

I want a high quality FFP scope with great glass, easy to get behind eyebox (hoping to get my kids more into shooting as well and they struggle with a lot of my scopes), illuminated reticle, something with parallax down to at least 30 yds preferably 10 yds and reasonable weight. I also like a tree reticle especially with a precise center dot, I really like the Tract floating dot. That's it, should be straight forward.

My initial list was the Tract Torric 4.5-30x56 34mm, Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30X56, Athlon Cronus BTR GEN2 4.5-29x56 or another NIGHTFORCE NX8 4-32X50

I think some of your goals are not in alignment and not so straight forward. You state you want a FFP scope that is easy to get behind and with a precise aiming dot. You state that your kids struggle to get behind some of your current scopes. You list several high magnification scopes.

A precise dot in a FFP, high power scope will likely have to be at moderate to higher powers to be seen. At higher powers the field of view will be smaller, exit pupil will be smaller, and eye box will be less forgiving. A tree reticle might also be somewhat cluttered and confusing to a new shooter. I do not understand the attraction to high power scopes for something shot at under 100 yards. If you like that sort of thing, any many people seem too, buy a large high power scope with a fine reticle. However, you will have another heavy, difficult for a new shooter to use scope that might have great glass but not meet your objectives. 

I have some nice scopes and placed a Hensoldt 4-16x56 on my Maverick when I first got it. IMO it overpowered the air rifle and was an unnecessary size and magnification for its use. 

For a variable power scope (and this is coming from someone that owns almost all FFP scopes) to be used on an air rifle, I really enjoy the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42. It only weighs around 20 ounces. It is relatively small in size. It has a zero stop. The turrets are tactile and reliable. The reticle is easy to see at all powers as it is a second focal plane scope. The mag tops out at 10 power, so if wanting to perform holds dial to 10 power and works just like a FFP scope. The reticle is illuminated. The scope only costs $1600. It makes a great hunting or SPR/DMR scope if you decide you don't like it on your air rifle. The one thing I don't really like as much about it is the 5 mils per rotation turrets. I would prefer 10 mils per rotation. However, it has a zero stop so you would have to work at getting lost on your dialing elevation. Does it have glass as nice as a Schmidt & Bender or Zero Compromise... no. Is it pretty good... yes. Is it an impressive and versatile little scope... yes! It has side adjust parallax down to 25 yards. On a lower power scope this is sufficient for use even at 10 yards. If you don't like it, and I think your kids certainly will like it, you can sell the scope used and not lose much money. I have two of them on an EVOL 22 and EVOL 30. It has been plenty of magnification for shooting. If you need higher power for spotting, consider purchasing a spotting scope. You could buy a nice spotter and the NF NXS 2.5-10x42 for possibly less money than a Schmidt or Zero Compromise scope alone.

One thing I can agree on is that it's hard getting kids behind a magnified optic. Just trying to explain the process on how the image should look to them flies over their heads. They also have smaller bone structures that don't help in getting a good cheek weld that was set up for an adult. Length of pull also has to be set up properly. Diopter settings is another issue. Their eye sight is better than us adults. Just start them off with iron sites.

My experience is that my two granddaughters, ages 9 and 15, both completely understood the crosshair concept from using video games. Both are really good shots and now understand holdover/under. They also understand the slower trigger pull and follow through needed for a hit downrange. This taking only two trips shooting with now four trips under their belts.

They learn very quickly is my point and the scope that they are using is a Tract Toric with the Christmas Tree reticle. No confusion whatsoever.

mike

One thing I can agree on is that it's hard getting kids behind a magnified optic. Just trying to explain the process on how the image should look to them flies over their heads. They also have smaller bone structures that don't help in getting a good cheek weld that was set up for an adult. Length of pull also has to be set up properly. Diopter settings is another issue. Their eye sight is better than us adults. Just start them off with iron sites.

Eotech holographic sight would probably be easiest sight for teaching a totally new shooter at relatively close range. It also makes a good passive optic for dad to use with a PVS14 or NV binos.

Oh here it is just noticed it's not the same model as yours apologies for the mix up.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/march-optics-high-master-wide-angle-5x-42x56-riflescope.html

Its hard for me to base a decision on 1 review. My March scope is fantastic, but I have never left a review.....

I have a March 5-42. It's great in every way except one and that'd be if you are older with not the best vision - it begins to darken and go slightly blurry above about 38x. I bought it to use on 42x a lot so I was disappointed about this.

Its a matter of the super compact design that causes this according to the email I got back from Deon.

Though for younger eyes, meaning some of my friends in their 40's that looked through my scope, they thought the IQ at 42x was fine. My older friends had my same opinion, so there you go.

Oh and for the similar reasons the March 6-24x42 I had I was not impressed with as far as IQ, though I read that the 52mm version solves some of the tighter eyebox thing and helps other aspects.

My wife had a March 5-40. It actually had better IQ above 35x than my 5-42 does.

I just got a March 1-10 DFP, I also struggle with it at 10x, not bad but not great either to me. But its such a versatile scope with adjustable parallax that its a keeper.

I prefer compact scopes for some guns but my eyes don't SEE it the same way, lol!

Thanks for all the input from the group, appreciate the input and still processing through and pricing all the great options out. Partially holding out for a few more days to see if any great used scopes pop up after Christmas. 

I wish there were more reviews out their on the Sightron SVIII 5-40x56 ed, if it wasn't for the size and weight I would have already bought it at the sales price. I have always wanted to get behind a S&B or March. That S&B 3×27 @AirSupply should above is a pretty sweet package.

I really want to try that new Sightron too, and at $1650, it is begging me to buy it! If they didn’t use 40mm rings, I would already have it. I know it comes with rings, but I’m not sure how high they are, so they may not fit well, and I’ll need a new set. Even then I’m still tempted.

Oh here it is just noticed it's not the same model as yours apologies for the mix up.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/march-optics-high-master-wide-angle-5x-42x56-riflescope.html

Its hard for me to base a decision on 1 review. My March scope is fantastic, but I have never left a review.....

I have a March 5-42. It's great in every way except one and that'd be if you are older with not the best vision - it begins to darken and go slightly blurry above about 38x. I bought it to use on 42x a lot so I was disappointed about this.

Its a matter of the super compact design that causes this according to the email I got back from Deon.

Though for younger eyes, meaning some of my friends in their 40's that looked through my scope, they thought the IQ at 42x was fine. My older friends had my same opinion, so there you go.

Oh and for the similar reasons the March 6-24x42 I had I was not impressed with as far as IQ, though I read that the 52mm version solves some of the tighter eyebox thing and helps other aspects.

My wife had a March 5-40. It actually had better IQ above 35x than my 5-42 does.

I just got a March 1-10 DFP, I also struggle with it at 10x, not bad but not great either to me. But its such a versatile scope with adjustable parallax that its a keeper.

I prefer compact scopes for some guns but my eyes don't SEE it the same way, lol!

I can only comment on my March 2.5-25. It's superb at all magnifications...I have no complaints at all, but "only" goes to 25....

Well I decided since this is primarily going to be a bench gun and with the current sale price I went ahead and bought the Sightron SVIII 5-40x56, curiosity killed the cat. Not much info out there yet on these and really wanted to get behind one. I will post some info when it comes in. Thanks again for all the great input and Merry Christmas!