Upper Tier - what would you buy?

I was really hoping to hear some suggestions on a upper Tier scope. I recently spoiled myself with a new Daystate Redwolf Heritage .22 HP and want to treat myself to a nice scope for Christmas. The problem I'm all over the map with my decision. I do majority of my shooting from a bench 30-50 yds in my yard but looking to spend a lot more time at 100 yds and beyond with this one. I want a high quality FFP scope with great glass, easy to get behind eyebox (hoping to get my kids more into shooting as well and they struggle with a lot of my scopes), illuminated reticle, something with parallax down to at least 30 yds preferably 10 yds and reasonable weight. I also like a tree reticle especially with a precise center dot, I really like the Tract floating dot. That's it, should be straight forward.

My initial list was the Tract Torric 4.5-30x56 34mm, Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30X56, Athlon Cronus BTR GEN2 4.5-29x56 or another NIGHTFORCE NX8 4-32X50

Now I been watching used scopes on another forum and I have been seeing a few of these pop up for a few extra bucks ($300-1000), Minox 5-25x56, Steiner m7xi 4-28x56, March 4.5-28x52mm, Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56

And now the Sightron SVIII 5-40x56 has also caught my eye. On my Bolt action rifles and AR's I run mostly Steiner's and a Vortex AMG, on most of my nicer air rifles I have Sightron SIII's and a NF NX8. Sorry for the long winded rant. Like I said I'm all over the map, honestly I know I don't need any of these, but have the itch for a really nice scope and enjoy reading opinions of others, would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Stop,think and truly consider what you are happy with now,then think what you would do to improve it for your needs.

Me, I hate heavy scopes and a bunch of clutter I don't need or will never use.

Then think 10O yds and beyond.You already have great scopes,overkill in a way.

Simple ,light with great optics....why not Leupold?I do like my Sightron better than my Nikon in the same price range

You have the money then get this scope Kahles 1050FT...oh yea.

Some thoughts:

High magnification and quality glass will result in heavy scope. My IOR Tx Raider is small scope in size but heavier than my Tract Toric.

If close parallax, 15 yards and less is a most, this will narrow your search a lot. Really few scopes with high magnification will offer parallax closer to 25 yards.

See if you can test first hand the scope before doing this investments, reach out to people near you that might own one and I'm sure they will be more than happy to help.

I think you need to find out exactly what you need and narrow down your search. There are really good glass available now.

I bought a Tract Toric last year and have really enjoyed using it on my Crown. I purchased an Impact MKII and will add another Tract Toric to top that rifle. It's not the 56, it's the 30mm 4-20x50 FFP MRAD scope. The HD Schott glass is a pleasure to view through. It does focus down the 25 yards, but that's not a deal breaker at all as that is only on full 20 power, lower power is not problem at closer range.

I had a Vortex Diamondback on my Impact MKII and took it off to await the delivery of the Tract Toric next week after taking out the Crown with the Tract Toric and noting the huge difference in clarity (of course there's a huge difference in price as well....). 

My 2¢.

mike

Forgot to note that if you're a veteran and can give them your number, you can buy for a 15% discount. Otherwise, you just missed their annual December 10% off sale that ended 12/12/21.

You chose very good scopes, so you shouldn’t get any negative feedback on any of those. Really going to come down to what exactly it is you are looking for. They are also VERY similar scopes. 

I have owned several Athlon Cronus scopes and it is one of my favorites, for quality at the price. You can find the prior model around $1100 or better, which is a great deal, or a new one around $1400. That is hard to beat. Never had the Toric, but always heard great things. Same for the Delta. I had a different model Delta and it was very good quality. I don’t think those 3 are very different. I have owned the NX8 4-32, and while it was ok, I wouldn’t have it over the Cronus, unless the 10yd focus or weight was a priority. 

I own and have owned other more expensive scopes, and I think the Cronus is a better deal in most cases depending on needs. And most of those scopes are more much more expensive. 

March FX 5-40. It's a first focal plane scope that has a reticle you can actually use in lower magnifications. Parallaxes down to 11yards. Great for everything out to 150 yards,,, (the most I've used it for) but probably a lot farther with a better shooter. Picture is exquisite. Simple, uncluttered reticle with a dot at full magnification for clarity. Pricey, yes. But once you have one you'll figure a way to use it on all your rifles!

Since you mention upper Tier scope that definitely leaves Hawke brand out of the options.

Might want to read the unhappy Optics Planet customer review for the March FX 5-40x.

The new $2899 Sightron 5-40x56 model SV3SS ED Zero Stop FFP Illuminated with 10 meter side focus 140 moa elevation can be had for around $1800 from Optics Planet if using the 10% discount and with any luck they may offer free shipping too.

The reflected $800 off manufacturers sale price appears to be ending soon. 

Might want to call Doug over at Camera Land NY to get a price match and maybe ask for free shipping along with the $1800 ring up before going through Optics Planet.

Optics Planet may not be the quickest in getting your order shipped.

Camera Land is a much better place to deal with.

$1000 off sounds good. 

Sightron has been a well established company selling quality products over the years.

Mentioned above the Trijicon Tenmile 5-50x56 similar to Delta Stryker is not FFP but price drops from Primary Arms selling in the Low $1750 range or Grab a gun $1680 more than $1000 off. Life time warranty for Trijicon Tenmile or limited to 10 years for Delta Optical Stryker. 

If you read the forums the Delta Optical scopes may need to be mailed out of the country over seas for warranty so be aware of that if contemplating purchasing the brand unless there is a USA based authorized warranty repair centre or if the dealer you bought it from is willing to trade you for a brand new scope with in 10 years warranty time. Really need to keep your original sales receipt in a very safe place.

Are the remainder of the 10 year warranty transferable to a second or third owner if the purchase receipt is not in their name and with a different address? 

March optics 10 year warranty same question as above.

Other top end optic companies with only 10 year warranty same question as above.

Makes you wonder why they do not back their warranty up unconditionally if their expensive scopes are all that great.

What happens to the next owner if you sell your high dollar scope and if it is past 10 years and breaks?

Tract Optics Torric has German glass which likely gives it a good advantage in optical greatness over other similar Japanese made scopes such as the Athlon Cronos and Delta Optical Stryker with in their class.

Tract Optics is still relatively new so long term life time warranty who knows if they still in business in 10 or 20 or more years?

Athlon and Vortex seem to have first rate hassle free warranties based on satisfied customers. But you know they had to have their broken scopes repaired or replaced judging by the sheer number of satisfied warranty customer reports.

You can buy Athlon much cheaper than normal if you know who to call over the phone to get 20 to 30 % off such as the Ares ETR typically $1200 for in the $800 to $900 range depends on mood. They are not allowed to advertise the lowest prices they can sell for and still earn good profit. Buy the ETR before buying any expensive Hawke. At least the tracking is known to be spot on and glass is way better than average for the Athlon line of scopes.

It is a fair price when Hawkes go on half off or cheaper sale. Example Hawke Frontiers a year or two ago regular $700 to $900 selling for $399 and some times had Hawke Side winder 30s for around half price.

Night force is probably the lightest with close focus and life time warranty.

If I had your top tier Daystate Red Wolf Heritage HP and of course the means I would go for the Sightron SV3SS ED 5-40x56 especially for the 10 meter close focus and 140 moa elevation turret with zero stop for those past 100 yard shots used as a bench gun.

$1000 off sure doesn't hurt either. 

OP, I think the Minox has 50M minimum parallax but it's likely the best IQ out of the scope's you mentioned, which many feel is very close to Tangent Theta, supposedly THE best of the best.

Not mentioned is ZCO which has 25Y minimum parallax and supposed to have close to TT IQ. I felt the turrets could have turned out better. 

S&B is hard to beat. 

There's a New Zeiss 5-25 that is supposed to have amazing glass, but I don't know if it is available yet.

The March HM SFP scopes and the Swarovski SFP X5 have the best IQ I've ever seen. 

IMHO the best of the mid priced with good glass is the Cronus G2. Not that the glass is exceptional but the build quality is.

I'd steer clear of super compact scope's which have optical compromises. Especially if you have vision problems or are older. 

The Nightforce NX8 is a good choice. They have a really nice reticle and very good illumination - if that matters to you. 

If you want to keep it light the March-F 3-24x42 is an amazing scope. Simple FML-1 reticle is just perfect for me and the clarity is top notch.

The Hawke Frontier 30 FFP is a good scope for its price if you can get it closer to $800 - but not in the same league as the two above.